Casual census of translations you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked at the new TSB Spanish New Testament at all? (I think they are planning to complete their full revision of the RV this year).
Very briefly. Personally I don't see any reason to disrupt the status quo, which is the vast majority of churches using the RV-1960, since it's a solid TR translation that's not all that difficult to understand. The language is already updated in significant ways from the original, published in the 1580's, by the replacement of obsolete vocabulary. The only thing that's "obsolete" is the use of vosotros, but that's still in use in Spain to this day, so it's not even analogous to the KJV using thee, thou, and ye, which are obsolete everywhere.

I use the English Standard Version for church (although, they tend to use the New American Standard Bible [NASB]).

I use the New King James Version for my personal use.

Speaking of Bible translations, it seems like there has been a pretty seismic shift in which Bible translations are most popular recently (at least in terms of what is being bought).

This year the KJV has dropped from the top two where it has been for time immemorial all the way to #5, with NIV, ESV, NLT, and CSB ahead of it in that order.

Interesting how the market is shifting.

Speaking of Bible translations, it seems like there has been a pretty seismic shift in which Bible translations are most popular recently (at least in terms of what is being bought).

This year the KJV has dropped from the top two where it has been for time immemorial all the way to #5, with NIV, ESV, NLT, and CSB ahead of it in that order.

Indeed, and to think that there use to only be one Bible translation... crazy.

Source?
Don’t think it says a lot. When was the last time any of us bought a KJV?

Indeed, and to think that there use to only be one Bible translation... crazy.
Whenever that was, it wasn't very long as Christians very readily and eagerly translated the Bible to new languages as the Gospel spread. And English has been blessed with a multitude of translations for a long time. Even the KJV was controversial to some Puritans who clung to the Geneva and other Bibles before it.

KJV and ESV for personal. Family and church, mostly ESV. I still have the hardest time departing from my trusty RL Allan Longprimer KJV. The cyclopedic concordance is awesome, as is the reference system, and it even includes helpful manuscript info. After two decades with it, it's what I think of when I hear "bible."

LSB this year as well to study and compare to the NASB.

I use the KJV for personal devotions, family devotions, and study (with Greek and Hebrew as primary). The church I attend has ESV in the pews, but I use Greek and Hebrew.

My favorite is the ESV, and I have the ESC study Bible. I also have the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, KJV. I have used the NKJV, but no longer own one. Occasionally, I use the NIV.

ESV for pretty much everything. I own a CSB but it doesn’t get much use. To be honest, I don’t cross reference often, though I should.

Doing the M'Cheyne 1 Year Bible Reading Plan the past 8 years I've used a different English translation each year.
2015 KJV, 2016 1599 Geneva, 2017 '95 NASB, 2018 NKJV, 2019 (2011) NIV, 2020 '89 NRSV, 2021ESV, 2022 NLT.

For 2023 I intend to use the LSB. Each year besides my primary translation I dabble in any one of the above to compare. Also the NET (hardcopy full notes) which I like very much.

I began seriously reading the Bible in 1986 with a New Scofield KJV. I quickly purchased an NIV to 'interpret' various parts I found difficult. I used those two exclusively for 25 years before I began broadening my horizons with alternative English translations.

I suppose my favorite out of all of them has become the ESV, though I have high expectations for this LSB coming up in the new year.

NASB 1995 and I don't think I'll ever change. I do have a RHB KJV Study Bible and an ESV Study Bible but those I use mostly for the notes and occasional cross reference. When I first became a Christian, though, I used an old 1984 NIV that I had so I do have somewhat of a soft spot for that one.

NASB for myself and our homeschool.
The church uses NIV84 so it's at my computer with my style guides and references. My ESV packs well so I take it when traveling. (How's that for a deep reason?)

Stephen, what do you think of the LSB now since time has passed? For me, it is a good reference to look at when at my computer, but not for reading. The NASB with footnotes serve me fine
Hi John. I have been thinking of this issue myself. I like what I see. However I have created another forum so others can comment. It is an interesting issue to discuss.

NKJV for church. ESV for family devotions (I don't mind if sticky fingers use it!). KJV for personal reading.

I have been enjoying reading the Psalms in the NKJV for personal devotions with a little "Spurgeon and the Psalms" NKJV Psalter I picked up recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back