Casual census of translations you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the ESV and and NKJV for my personal reading and studying. The church I am in uses the NLT so I have to use it for all my sermon prep.

NKJV for church. ESV for family devotions (I don't mind if sticky fingers use it!). KJV for personal reading.

I have been enjoying reading the Psalms in the NKJV for personal devotions with a little "Spurgeon and the Psalms" NKJV Psalter I picked up recently.
Curious is if the ESV is different enough that your family uses a ESV at home and NKJV in church

Curious is if the ESV is different enough that your family uses a ESV at home and NKJV in church
I asked this question of a friend who brings his ESV to church, and he said he notices the differences (we are going through Luke on Sunday mornings), although he called them minor.

I chose the ESV at home for practical reason (worn old pew copy, large font, happy for kids to use near food), and as we are working through 1 Samuel, I haven't need to correct any readings. When we did 1 John I switched back to the NKJV as I prefer the TR.

KJV - my only personal translation.

ESV - our family translation, wife and children use this. It’s also what I use for family worship.

For private study, I like the KJV, but for devotional reading I prefer the KJV. The KJV is a favorite of mine, and I also really like the KJV, not to mention my use of the KJV and the KJV.

For private study, I like the KJV, but for devotional reading I prefer the KJV. The KJV is a favorite of mine, and I also really like the KJV, not to mention my use of the KJV and the KJV.
I wish you would just be clear about which translation you use. Your post is difficult to decipher.

I know so many use the KJV exclusively for TR reasons, but for me admittedly the driving reason is because the translation is locked; I never have to worry about it changing in my lifetime.

Not the most academic position obviously, but little old me finds comfort in that.

I know so many use the KJV exclusively for TR reasons, but for me admittedly the driving reason is because the translation is locked; I never have to worry about it changing in my lifetime.

Not the most academic position obviously, but little old me finds comfort in that.
So if your translation is demonstrably incorrect, you would rather it stayed the same than it be corrected? I understand the attractiveness of a settled translation, but it is worth thinking through the implications of that position.

So if your translation is demonstrably incorrect, you would rather it stayed the same than it be corrected? I understand the attractiveness of a settled translation, but it is worth thinking through the implications of that position.
Yes, because the counter argument is never having a settled canon for the entirety of my life. I am not comfortable with that. I know your background and interests in textual criticism and that’s great, but I think memorization for the layman is a critically important thing.

Besides, the KJV language fits the hymnals we sing, the confessions we hold to, and the puritans we read. Textual criticism is an important study for the church but it also seems to be an endless rabbit hole.

I don’t want to derail this discussion, but we’re never going to get an exact tralation that’s readable in English from the original manuscripts. It is an endless endeavor of splitting hairs and we have an embarrassing amount of solid English translations.

I’d rather see a focus on translating to other languages that need it. I realize you won’t like anything I just said but that’s my two cents on the matter.

Preferred - NASB 1995 (but not as well known or used in the UK so a more personal usage)
Church use and second preference - ESV
Sermon prep/study - NKJV, ESV, NASB, NIV

And when I get too bogged down in the text and can’t see the forest for the trees, or if I want to read really long passages, I really love my NLT. Fight me.

KJV - For church and private textual study.
NASB95 - For ‘reading with my boots off’
NKJV - For ‘fam devo’ (See what I did there to make myself sound cool & relevant to my children when conducting family devotions?) ;)

It is interesting to consider that the KJV translators did not only read the KJV. ;)

KJV - For church and private textual study.
NASB95 - For ‘reading with my boots off’
NKJV - For ‘fam devo’ (See what I did there to make myself sound cool & relevant to my children when conducting family devotions?) ;)
Wear mismatched socks and you will be over the top relevant.

I use the ESV almost exclusively. Although, I do alternate between my Reformation Study Bible and my ESV Study Bible. And while I am at work on my breaks, I use my MacArthur Study Bible App.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back