Catechism of the Catholic Church--Differences between 1st and 2nd editions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Puritanboard Commissioner
Does anyone know how significant the changes were between the 1994 and 1997 editions of the CCC? (Those are the dates of the English translations.)

After years of having the mass market paperback of the 2nd edition, I recently came across an inexpensive hardcover copy. I thought it would be a good idea to have it. But I've since realized that it is the 1994 edition. In the preface of the 2nd edition, JP II writes that it is the result of suggestions they received and so on. It is "revised in accordance with the official Latin text promulgated by Pope John Paul II."

I don't have the paragraph numbers handy but the teachings on capital punishment moved to the left in the 1997 edition.

I don't have the paragraph numbers handy but the teachings on capital punishment moved to the left in the 1997 edition.

Thanks. I will try to ask in a Catholic forum. I'm guessing I'm probably better off just getting rid of the 1st edn unless there's some compelling reason to keep it (such as something that is arguably a change in teaching).

I just access the current version online from the Vatican web site when I want to consult it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back