Catholic Church's creedal basis...?

Discussion in 'Cults & World Religions' started by Laura, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura

Laura Puritan Board Junior

Catholic Church\'s creedal basis...?

Hi all,

I'm fairly ignorant about how the Catholic Church has changed (if it has at all) since the Reformation, and in studying the WCF with Gordon Clark's commentary, I'm coming across some outrageous things quoted from the Council of Trent. I'm supposing that since Clark quotes them in a modern book, the RCC still upholds most everything that came out of Trent. Am I right, or have there been significant changes to their doctrine? Also, the book was published over 50 years ago. Has there been much change since then?

For example, the RCC responded to the Reformers' discovery of assurance of faith with a condemnation for whomever claimed to have remission of sins. Is that still actually their doctrine?

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

[Edited on 6-29-2005 by Laura]

2. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

Rome has never repented of her anathamas of Trent. Her doctrine of infallability does not allow her to do so.

She is just as apostate as the day she drafted Trent. :banghead:

3. Laura

Wait, so what does that doctrine of infallibility cover? Not Scripture, right? Just church authority in general?

4. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

Pretty much. Theoretically, the church, when it speaks officially, it is as good as gold...forever. She can't change without contridicting herself.

5. WrittenFromUtopia

WrittenFromUtopia Puritan Board Graduate

That's why they're not Christians. Trent.

6. Laura

Yikes.

7. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Trent is still in force. Vatican II, however, is also in force (unless you ask Mel Gibson ;) ). The documents of Vatican II and the Catholic Catechism are worth reviewing.

Incidentally, the dogma of infallibility was only invented around 1869, I think, by Vatican I. The Marian dogmas were invented in the last 150 years or so. Rome changes, but never reforms.

8. Scott

Scott Puritan Board Graduate

Laura: The best sources for identifying understanding official Catholic doctrine are The Catechism of the Catholic Church and The Catholic Encyclopedia. Official Rome still holds officially to Trent but in practice much of it has been left behind. And, in the event you have not talked to many rank and file Catholics, most do not believe official doctrines anyway. Most are basically secular relativists. Exceptions would be zealous Catholics you find on Catholic chat boards and the like. But the ones you are likely to run into in real life usually know very little of their religion (and care little too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.