ccravens - Longtime lurker, first time poster..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ccravens, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccravens

ccravens Puritan Board Freshman

Good to be a part of this fellowship of believers!

As a born-again, independent Baptist with strong Reformed, moderate-Calvinist leanings (sorry if the "moderate" descriptor offends anyone!) I am searching for a place in which to discuss the knowledge of God and of man. This seems to be a good place.

I thoroughly enjoy reading the Puritans, with many works by Owens (4 of the volumes) Flavel (complete set) and many others, with more Baptistic works from John Gill, Spurgeon, etc. Arthur Pink is a more modern favorite, as is John MacArthur.

Apologetically, I most closely relate to the pre-suppositional/reformed views stated by Van Til, Clark, Greg Bahnsen, John Frame and others.

I understand that a Baptist, Calvinistic, pre-mill, pre-supp. outlook may seem confusing theologically, but that's where I'm at, although I am open to being taught differently.

Looking forward to the knowledge that I can gain by being on this forum.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

If you don't mind me asking, in what ways are you "moderate"? (I'm just curious.)

3. ccravens

Thanks for asking.

I guess I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the doctrine of reprobation.

I finished reading through Calvin's Institutes last month, which for me, means reading, underlining and taking notes. I was very interested to get to where he discusses this subject because I consider him someone whose viewpoints should be seriously considered. Maybe it was my Baptist background, but I had an open mind (I believe) when reading that section, and yet still was skeptical. Calvin's arguments in favor seemed more based on philosophical reasoning that scripturally based. I'm worried that something like this may be logically true, but not biblically true. But I am open to instruction.

I certainly have no problem with total depravity, unconditional election (with the exception I mentioned above), limited atonement, irresistible grace (if the distinction between common and saving grace is maintained), and the perseverance of the saints.

Sorry if that is unclear. I'm still a learner.

4. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

5. Ask Mr. Religion

It would help if you let us know what you think the doctrine of reprobation Calvin wrote about means. A useful backgrounder:
    http://www.the-highway.com/DoublePredestination_Sproul.html

6. ccravens

Funny you should mention this!

In my newly-imparted systematic theology readings, starting about 6 months ago, I have gone through the Institutes, John MacArthur's new ST (really good, IMO), and am now about 1/4 of the way through Bavinck's 1 volume edited edition of his RD. About Bavinck, all I can say is: Wow, I'm impressed.

And just today, ordered Berkhof's ST. Wanted to find the old 2-volume edition, but could only find a volume II, so went with the Banner of Truth 1 volume edition.

7. ccravens

8. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings from someone in the same federal court district.

9. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Senior

Welcome!

10. Berean

Berean Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome to the PB, Chris!

11. Ask Mr. Religion

Good to know.

You may find this thread related to MacArthur's latest informative:
    https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/macarthurs-biblical-doctrine-systematic-theology-book.92201/

12. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

13. ccravens

14. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

15. reaganmarsh

reaganmarsh Puritan Board Senior

Welcome to the PB!

16. LaurenC

LaurenC Puritan Board Freshman

Hello welcome, it feels funny welcoming someone when I am someone who posts very rarely also but welcome anyway :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

17. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

You may want to study some of the nuance in the doctrine of reprobation as understood by different reformers. Calvin taught double predestination. Bavinck had some interesting observations on the issue in his writing about supra/infralapsarianism where he spells out what he saw as problems with double predestination.

You may have less reservation if you look at reprobation through the lense of preterition and not predestination. While we shouldn't use the doctrine of preterition to promote "bare permission" in God, it does account for the differences in those predestined to eternal life and those ordained to damnation (to use strictly biblical terms).

Again, welcome! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.