Celebrating the Lord's Day: Sun Down to Sun Down, I have a question for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Do those of you who celebrate the Lord's Day, not midnight to midnight, you do it when the sun goes down to the next time the sun goes down.

Do you adequately prepare yourselves to celebrate the Lord's Day prior to the Sun going down on Saturday?

When doth the Christian Sabbath begin?

In the Works of Flavel, he answer this question by saying:

It appears that this day is not to be reckoned from evening to evening; but from morning to morning; because the Christian Sabbath must begin when the Jewish Sabbath ended, but that ended towards the morning. Matthew 28:1. Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.

Here is a post from this discussion that was going on a couple days ago

We no longer celebrate the Sabbath as it was delivered to the nation of Israel,

We have the Lord's day. The day of the resurrection of the Lord is when we worship and keep the 4th commandment

It is still to be the Whole day celebrated in much the same way.

What about those who wait till midnight to take a flight or fly home late getting in Sat just before midnight but are too tired and sleep through church?

And what do we say of Shift workers? They work 11 pm -7 am.

And graveyard workers who normally work at night and sleep in the day?

Shall we tell them they must change their schedule?

The specifics did not cover such issues as Light Bulbs and shift work.

Let us be careful not to fall back into the letter and strain gnats unnecessarily and swallow a camel here.

God Rested the 7th Day, so should we, The whole day, how ever that works out unless one is willing to show me it is unlawful for a Christian to take shift work?

I would not take a job where I had to work on the Lord's day. But to nit pick over an hour one way or other?? Since God did nto have the NT lay it out specifically.

And for you dawn to dusk folk guess you have never been to north Alaska have you?? Lets see that would be a 4 month Lord's day.

I think we use some common sense here so that we can sanctify the Lord's day and keep the 4th commandment unto the Lord in the best possible way to glorify Him.

And for you dawn to dusk folk guess you have never been to north Alaska have you?? Lets see that would be a 4 month Lord's day.

:lol:

I have done it from after dinner to after dinner.

Do you adequately prepare yourselves to celebrate the Lord's Day prior to the Sun going down on Saturday?

No I work like crazy to get stuff done so I can slow down after dinner.

I spend time almost every day in scripture and prayer. I have never felt any special need to take a lot of time before Sunday just to prepare for it, other than to often focus my prayer time on my church and the upcoming service. I prepare by working six days; sure makes me appreciate a day off.

The only preparation I see in scripture is the Hebrews gathering food so they don't have to cook on the Sabbath, but even the Sabbatarians I know will allow for this, so I'm not sure where they get the idea of preparation or what it actually means or why it's necessary.

The Sabbath in the Old Covenant was at the end of the week, and God's people looked forward to it. If our day of rest is now at the beginning of the week, it doesn't make much sense to "prepare" for it, which would harken back to the Old Covenant view of the Sabbath. If anything, it seems more logical to look back to the Christian Sabbath rather than look forward to it in expectation/preparation.

The only preparation I see in scripture is the Hebrews gathering food so they don't have to cook on the Sabbath, but even the Sabbatarians I know will allow for this, so I'm not sure where they get the idea of preparation or what it actually means or why it's necessary.

The Sabbath in the Old Covenant was at the end of the week, and God's people looked forward to it. If our day of rest is now at the beginning of the week, it doesn't make much sense to "prepare" for it, which would harken back to the Old Covenant view of the Sabbath. If anything, it seems more logical to look back to the Christian Sabbath rather than look forward to it in expectation/preparation.

What about making sure you gas up the car so you don't have a necessity and have to buy it on the Lord's day, go to the store and buy all the food you will need so you don't buy on the Lord's day, and yes possibly prepare meals ahead so there is less work on the Lord's day.

Get everything ready so all is off your mind and not interfering with thoughts etc of worldly cares that day and yes if your church sends an email of the service so you can prepare, take the kids through the songs so they can sing well to the Lord and read over the passages the sermon is on so they are fresh on your mind and maybe even give them some thought.
And since you will be talking with the Lord that night why not ask Him to help you be alert and keep you from distracting thoughts during the service, to give you a strong desire to worship well, that He be pleased with your worship and the entire church's and for the pastor to have unction to preach well and any unregenerate there to be convicted by the Spirit through the word and be converted and for all your brothers and sis to learn well and be sanctified more and if its the Supper that God would bless the sacraments to you, etc etc.

Or you could just show up and presume all will go well.

James 4:1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask NKJV

Why would one not to prepare this way to have the best Lord's day they can?
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back