Certain preachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about stepping stones...
If you stand on one too long you'll lose your balance and fall in.
I agree MacArthur is a stepping stone.
Move on!

His dispensational gymnastics are hard to avoid and not worth unlearning if you don't have to.
:agree:

With all that has been said about John MacArthur's dispensationalism, one thing it has NOT led him into is dispensationalism's inherent antinomianism. John has led the charge for "lordship salvation," and has stressed for years that one cannot be a Christian who is not striving for obedience to God. His eschatological views are not grievous errors. The late James Boice held the same ones as does MacArthur.

He has repeatedly said that he sees a difference between Israel and the church, and that is the extent of his dispensationalism. Whether or not that is true, I'll leave all of you folks to discuss and debate. But it is much more important that John is not an antimominan, and that his understanding of the gospel of faith and repentance in Christ as Lord is rock solid.
I actually enjoyed the few books I have read from him about Lordship Salvation. After reading them, it was one of the driving forces as to the start of my understanding of what God had lead me to. Thanks again for all the info my friends, brothers and sisters in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I love the arguments those who disagree with his stance on Lordship Salvation, especially when they say Christ doesn't have to be Lord to Savior, just a meager sinner's prayers and life as normal has placed you in His heavenly thrown forever. Last time I checked, Christ without Lord made it Christ without being the head over you. Oh how we wished we controlled our own destiny like they do

Move on!

His dispensational gymnastics are hard to avoid and not worth unlearning if you don't have to.

while I do agree, we still must remain on the step until He leads us further in the right direction or we have become no different than those who feel they control the direction in which they walk :). but you are right about losing our balance but it will be hard to fall as He holds there until we are ready to mature further. Hence, that is why my questions are so important at moving forward in the direction He leads me :)

Move on!

while I do agree, we still must remain on the step until He leads us further in the right direction or we have become no different than those who feel they control the direction in which they walk :). but you are right about losing our balance but it will be hard to fall as He holds there until we are ready to mature further. Hence, that is why my questions are so important at moving forward in the direction He leads me :)
:D
I'm glad you at least desire to move forward.
And, I appreciate your questions!
My favorite commentaries are those written by John Calvin, Matthew Poole & Matthew Henry.
As I mentioned earlier, my husband is really enjoying the Lectio Continua Commentaries
He also likes The ESV Study Bible (Crossway) & Reformation Study Bible (Ligonier Ministries).

What's he particularly good at? I think he is one of the best at explaining the cultural background to the Gospels.

I like his critiques of the charismatic movement the most. Not only his book "Charismatic Chaos," but also his preaching on figures like Joel Osteen, for example:

[video=youtube;jDuDN2FtrIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDuDN2FtrIo[/video]

Do any other Calvinists out there really comment on Pentecostals/Charismatics? I can't recall seeing much out there, a strange thing given its popularity.

Thanks, Jessica :). I am just glad I am understand God's truths more and more daily. That is very important to me, to understand what He has in store for me and how I am supposed to carry it all out :). Thank you again from the depths of my heart for caring enough to respond and help me in this journey, and I sincerely mean that! :). Vaughn, I was reading about the other day. I do enjoy the way he speaks out against them. If I can remember how this goes, I will try not to mess it up to bad lol..."Those who say love is more important than understanding correct doctrine have missed the mark in how to carry out the perfect love we learn from Him when He shows us the truth"... I don't remember who said it, I just remember the quote :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back