Cessationism implicit not explicit so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
The argument that the signs and wonders were the authentication of the messangers of the New Testament follows the biblical example of the OT in attesting their authority.

In the NT the miracles follow the Apostles authenticating both their oral and written message.

Now fast forward to somebody going into soviet russia to preach the gospel. Don't they need miracles to attest their authenticity to a culture steeped in communist atheism?

I would say not. The pure preaching of the Word accompanyed by the conviction of the Holy Spirit would be enough.

What do YOU think?

The argument that the signs and wonders were the authentication of the messangers of the New Testament follows the biblical example of the OT in attesting their authority.

Is someone arguing that every single miracle or charismatic gift refered to in the NT was a 'sign' of someone's authority?

I would have to say that we do not have (or need) Apostles today. I believe in the plenary inspiration AND sufficiency of Scripture

Perhaps there is a degree of implicitness associated with the question, but it is not a total implicitness.

1 Cor 13:8 "Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."

The question of "extraordinary" or "sign" gift should not be confined to miracle-working. If miracles are still present, then it follows that there should be other indicators of signs present as well--such as prophecy (continuing revelation), tongues (mastery of a recognizable language--correct syntax and grammar included, please--without previous study), and knowledge (Spirit-endowed intuition or information). But if these are not to be expected, then neither should miracle-workings be expected.

Scripture does not record uninterrupted miracles occurring from Creation to the Apostles. Rather, the miracles of the Bible are mainly confined to three extraordinary periods: the Exodus, Elisha/Elijah, and the Apostolic age. God did amazing things at other times, but rarely through human agency, which is what so much "miracle working" these days is all about. People want a following, they want self-authentication. But the church doesn't require a new establishment or foundation.

Paul's words to the Corinthians in vv8-10 do not need to be referred to the "perfection" of glory, or the end of everything. He is in the middle of extended argument for the superiority of the less-extravagant or "notable" gifts. In that context, I would argue that he is explaining that these "showy" demonstrations will no longer be necessary or useful. They have limitations, being "in part" and never "perfect". The fullness, or perfection, of NT revelation is not long in coming. He may well be referring to another kind of "fullness of knowledge" in v12. But this would only reinforce the argument: someday we will have the kind of face-to-face knowledge that will transcend even the present-age need for a full, permanently written revelation. But, v13, for now (in this age) abide faith, hope, and love [for as he asks in Rom 8:24--"Who hopes for what he sees?"].

If you go through Acts, everytime a sign ,or wonder was done soon afterward it says that the word of God was believed, or the word of God grew.
The sign 's of the apostles were clearly to establish and fulfill God;s purpose for that time.

12Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds

Peter's sermon in Acts 2 says this
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know

here are some more examples of the same-

30By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

31And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

32And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

33And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
12And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
The increase of the word of God was central, not the sign's or sign gifts
7And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

8And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

This does not change throughout Acts-
3Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands

Yet later on in Hebrews it seems as if they are already referring back to the signs previously done,

3How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

4God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
God credentialed His own word in this way, as He had promised the Apostles in Jn, 14, 15, 16. The Apostles would be guided into all truth. No need to look anywhere else. Consider these verses from 1JN.

1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full
6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

No new apostles today/no new revelation.

What does the bible not tell us,that we need to know?
3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Signs and Wonders movement capable of

I used to think that charismatics were fairly harmless physically, even if dangerour spiritually. I revise that opinion when encountering examples of people who have died as a consequence of failing to take medication or medical treatment after falling under the sway of some charismatic Svengali.

Evangelist sued for claiming that God heals - Independent Online Edition > Americas

BBC NEWS | Americas | US boy dies during 'exorcism' :gpl:

or consider the 90+ deaths attributed to Hobart Freedman Hobart Freeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :2cents:

We really need to warn people that charismatic movement can be dangerous :judge: physically as well as spiritually.

Last edited:
Thank you, Eoghan. This is consistent with Reformational teaching. The Holy Spirit always accompanies the preaching of the word. Much of this modern charismatic nonsense can be laid at the feet of Edward Irving and Margret MacDonald (I believe they were Glaswegeans ;). There is no evidence of the Prophetic gifts opperating apart from the ministry of the apostles. These so-called prophets and apostles today are charlatins. They can only perform in a controlled environment and their lifestyles indicate they are false.

“For we are not forging some new gospel, but are retaining that very gospel whose truth all the miracles that Jesus Christ and his disciples every wrought serve to confirm.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, “Prefatory Address to King Francis I of France"

(in reference to the papist accusation that the Protestant doctrine was not confirmed with miracles)

I used to think that charismatics were fairly harmless physically, even if dangerour spiritually. I revise that opinion when encountering examples of people who have died as a consequence of failing to take medication or medical treatment after falling under the sway of some charismatic Svengali.

Evangelist sued for claiming that God heals - Independent Online Edition > Americas

BBC NEWS | Americas | US boy dies during 'exorcism' :gpl:

or consider the 90+ deaths attributed to Hobart Freedman Hobart Freeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :2cents:

We really need to warn people that charismatic movement can be dangerous :judge: physically as well as spiritually.

These are great links and this is only the icing on the cake. What about the number of people who died after being healed by Oral Roberts or Benny Hinn? I visited a young boy in the hospital a few years ago who was dying from lukemia. His mother just brought him back from Hinn's crusade where he was "healed" from cancer. I ministered to him and his mother and he died 2 weeks later. The mother was devasted because she was told he was healed. :mad:

It should be noted that all charismatics aren't the same, which is the impression I get from the posts above. There are definitely those who are pernicious and destructive in their theology and practice, but we shouldn't lump everyone together.

It should be noted that all charismatics aren't the same, which is the impression I get from the posts above. There are definitely those who are pernicious and destructive in their theology and practice, but we shouldn't lump everyone together.

Different how exactly? If anyone says "This is what the Lord says..." They should do so with fear and trembling. Ezekiel, a true prophet of God, had some things that God told him about false prophets that are pretty scary. Jeremiah as well. Christ fulfilled the office of prophet. He is now all in all, our prophet, priest, and King. So no more saying God told you this or that.

Ezekiel 13

2 Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the LORD;

3 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!

6 They have seen vanity and lying divination, saying, The LORD saith: and the LORD hath not sent them: and they have made others to hope that they would confirm the word.

7 Have ye not seen a vain vision, and have ye not spoken a lying divination, whereas ye say, The LORD saith it; albeit I have not spoken?

8Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye have spoken vanity, and seen lies, therefore, behold, I am against you, saith the Lord GOD.

9And mine hand shall be upon the prophets that see vanity, and that divine lies: they shall not be in the assembly of my people, neither shall they be written in the writing of the house of Israel, neither shall they enter into the land of Israel; and ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.

Jeremiah 13

16 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord.

17 They say still unto them that despise me, The Lord hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

18 For who hath stood in the counsel of the Lord, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?

19 Behold, a whirlwind of the Lord is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.

20 The anger of the Lord shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly.
21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

23 Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off?

24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

25 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.

26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;

I would never flat out deny a "miracle", I just question #1 "Hinn" type miracles on demand. #2 Miracles are to be the norm. and #3 Supposed miracles which might be Demonic fakes, Marian sightings for example, that said, I have Christian Doctor friends who have seen cancers go away, types of cancers that do not usually go into remmision, much less somehow go without a trace. Far be it from me to say God cannot do something since we are in a certain period. Like I say I just use the 3 "red flag "miracles" as things to be wary of.:2cents:

I hope you do not take Rutherford out of context, because he certainly did not advocate the kind of nonsense that was first introduced by Edward Irving and later adopted by non-cessastionists.

I hope you do not take Rutherford out of context, because he certainly did not advocate the kind of nonsense that was first introduced by Edward Irving and later adopted by non-cessastionists.

Read the thread...

Now fast forward to somebody going into soviet russia to preach the gospel. Don't they need miracles to attest their authenticity to a culture steeped in communist atheism?

The authentication showed by the signs were important in that they verified the authority of the expected Christ and His followers. They were not mere supernatural shows of power to convince men but were precise fulfillments of signs that would accompany the Christ in time at His arrival. We should not expect to see them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back