Challenge: Convince Me to Switch to Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll second the Linux recommendation. In my humble opinion you can't get anything better than Ubuntu. And like it was mentioned it and all the open-source software you can get for it is free.

I have a MacBook Pro and it is awesome. I don't think I'll ever go back.

Meanwhile, I have Linux/Ubuntu on my main computer. I've been using it for about 3 months and it sucks. My computer freezes and chrashes all the time and it isn't intuitive like Mac (it's even worse than Windows). I just don't get why people use it. I promised to try it for 6 months so I am, but I'm probably going to get rid of it right after that unless something special happens.

I bought a used PowerMac G4 in 2004 and I'm typing on it right now. I've added 2 additional drives, upgraded to Tiger OSX, and added memory. It hasn't let me down yet. I also have a PC laptop and I've wanted to fling it across the room on several occasions. Get a Mac!

So far I see the disadvantages of a Mac are: (correct me if I missed some)

* you can't do gravity deceleration tests to prove how durable they are
* you can't store chocolate milk in them
* you may pay more than a PC/PC clone in the short run
* in rare cases you will have to get repairs done under warranty (which is very much hassle - free)

SIDEBAR: if Apple wants a new spokesman or to compensate me for my shameless plugs, I'm available :lol:

I'll second the Linux recommendation. In my humble opinion you can't get anything better than Ubuntu. And like it was mentioned it and all the open-source software you can get for it is free.

Meanwhile, I have Linux/Ubuntu on my main computer. I've been using it for about 3 months and it sucks. My computer freezes and chrashes all the time and it isn't intuitive like Mac (it's even worse than Windows). I just don't get why people use it. I promised to try it for 6 months so I am, but I'm probably going to get rid of it right after that unless something special happens.
I don't believe there is a more stable operating system than Linux. Probably there is something configured incorrectly on your system. Or there could be something wrong with your hardware. It's true, though, that if you aren't computer-savvy Linux may not be for you.

I don't believe there is a more stable operating system than Linux. Probably there is something configured incorrectly on your system. Or there could be something wrong with your hardware. It's true, though, that if you aren't computer-savvy Linux may not be for you.

I'm computer savy (I've built all my PC's), windows savy (been using it since DOS and 3.1), and Apple savy (since IIe), but I am definitely not Linux savy. There probably is some sort of configuration error though because it definitely crashes (freezes) all the time.

I love my MacBook Pro. Best. Computer. Ever.

That's why I don't use Ubuntu proper, the better ones are PCLinuxOS which is extremely newbie friendly and Linux Mint. I use PCLinuxOS, I look for the most newbie friendly available and that is the one hands down

I've used both, and since my life has included a lot of publication design and photo editing, Mac's support of the graphics design world is greatly appreciated. It was also much easier to work down at the system level if I had problems.

"No viruses" for a Mac? That's an urban myth. Folks don't write as many for Macs because they can spread their nastiness much further and faster in the PC world.

I have always had both PC and Mac and I definitely prefer Mac. I love my 17" MacBook Pro. To add to the long list of praises brought forth above let me add one other. I am an itinerant teacher and sometimes travel to as many as five different sites within my district (including Starbucks) and my Mac never has a problem picking up a wireless signal within seconds.

I'm computer savy (I've built all my PC's), windows savy (been using it since DOS and 3.1), and Apple savy (since IIe), but I am definitely not Linux savy. There probably is some sort of configuration error though because it definitely crashes (freezes) all the time.

I love my MacBook Pro. Best. Computer. Ever.
If you want to have your desktop working correctly, you might want to try the Ubuntu IRC channel (a chat room where people help each other). When I have problems that I can't figure out on my own (by searching the web), I'll head in there next, and frequently get the help I need. At this exact moment there are 1,378 people in the chat room.

General info: Community Chat IRC | Ubuntu

How to use the IRC client: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XChatHowto

Apple doesn't have configuration/hardware issues because Apple controls the hardware you can buy. Linux works on just about anything (including Intel & PowerPC).

Drop by the house. I can give you a tour. :)

I just got on it and started using it. It was a very easy switch. Apple is intuitive. You should have also received a manual in your little box with the disks.

To own a Mac you must first grow a ponytail. You can cut it off later, or shave the rest of your head and tuck it into your shirt, but a ponytail is a prerequisite to Mac ownership. (The Mac proponents here will deny they have done this, but we all know better)

To own a Mac you must first grow a ponytail. You can cut it off later, or shave the rest of your head and tuck it into your shirt, but a ponytail is a prerequisite to Mac ownership. (The Mac proponents here will deny they have done this, but we all know better)

:rolleyes:

I'm typing this on a red imac which is
TEN YEARS OLD
and still going strong.

Can anyone beat that, let alone with a PC??
It's not what you could call fast, and I'm looking to get a newer mac when I can afford it -
but as a physical object (this is one of the things that has kept me happy with it so long) it is VERY STYLISH INDEED!

Nathan,

I was in the same boat as you just over a month ago. It doesn't take too much time to get used to using a Mac.

Installing programs is typically much easier: just double-click and in icon and a folder with an A will show up. Drag the icon to the folder. The program is installed.

Another important difference: the command key doesn't get used much. Instead the butterfly key (I think the command key on Windows) is used. It is just to the left of the space bar. You need to highlight something in Word: command + i.

If you don't know how to do something on Mac, just google it, and I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Okay, I bought a Macbook. Not the Pro, just the plain Jane version.

Now what? How do I use this thing?

:)

Nathan, I have had my "mac" for about 5 months now, and have been enjoying "getting to know" it. Much easier than a pc, once you learn the basics...which I am stilllllll learning(don't spend a lot of time on it). You can find great "tutorials" for just about anything, from the "Apple" site. You might also want to check with your local Apple store to see what workshops they offer...if you have a store close to you that is. The store here offers several different ones...3 hour blocks for any project you may be working on, as well as specific workshops for the different programs on mac itself.

Enjoy!

I guess I just don't get..."it's so much easier to use" or "its' so intutive" sort of comments when referencing macs.

I've used both Mac and PC, and neither is any easier or harder or intuitive or non-intuitive to use...they are just different.

:think:

Other than the huge cost difference :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back