Changing to Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianoman

Puritan Board Freshman
I know it has been a while since I have been on here, but I have been on the calvinist board on facebook lately. I have been a premillennial dispensationalist all of my life, but I seriously want to look into covenant theology. Can anyone sum it up for me on here? And, can anyone tell me any good books on it so I can get a hold to that?

Thanks

I loved "Studies in the Covenant of Grace" by Scott (Scotty) Nielands (sp?).

Perhaps found on ebay or amazon, perhaps others have sources.

Herman Witsius, The Economy of the Covenants
http://www.federaltheology.org/The Economy of the Covenants - Book I.pdf
from here: Welcome to FederalTheology.Org , and see "Articles" for further reading.

Herman Witsius presents a classical version of Reformed-Covenant theology. Expressions change over time, elements get updated or revised for clarity, but the outline here is clear and strong and holds true.

A Puritan's Mind » A Summary of Herman Witsius’ “The Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man” – by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

The .pdf at the top of the post only contains book 1, which is not even all of vol.1 (of two vols.). But it is a very "clean" copy. The whole work would be a good purchase.

Here is google-books version: vol.1 (entire) The economy of the covenants between God and man: comprehending a complete ... - Herman Witsius - Google Books
vol.2 (entire) The economy of the covenants between God and man: comprehending a complete ... - Herman Witsius - Google Books

Welcome along board! I made the started transition myself not too long ago.

I recommend Vern Poythress's book Understanding Dispensationalist's has been very helpful for me

Good info! Thanks guys. Rev. Bruce's link from a Puritan's Mind was very helpful and to the point. :)

I concur with the recommendation of Herman Witsius Economy of the Covenants(it is the classic formulation of Covenant theology).I also have O Palmer Robertson The Christ of the Covenants which is an easier read and still a most useful volume.One more suggestion you might want to consider is Lyle D.Bierma- German Calvinism(The Covenant Theology of Caspar Olevianus).

Since you are a calvinist you may appreciate The Gospel According to Dispensationalism. Amazon.com: The Gospel According to Dispensationalism (9780921716167): Reginald C. Kimbro: Books
I have given this booklet out on multiple occasions, and the response I always receive is that it is an aid to those struggling with dispensationalism.
The intent of the booklet is not to dive into Covenant Theology, but more so to contrast dispensationalism and Calvinism, and show their true incompatibility. I think Pastor Kimbro did a fine job with this, and presented it in a very introductory manner.

Last edited:
As far as summing up covenant theology:

The Old Testament looks forward to the promised Messiah, Redeemer Jesus Christ;
The New Testament looks back at the Risen Savior, Redeemer Jesus Christ

God's plan was, is and shall be until the end of this world, to redeem a people from every tribe, nation, kindred and tongue by grace, through faith in Christ's righteousness alone.

Just saw this at Reformation21

Can Baptists be covenantal?
POSTED BY ROB VENTURA

The answer is yes! Baptists historically have held to covenant theology; the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith makes this fact plain (see chapter 7). More recently however, Reformed Baptist pastor Greg Nichols answers this question in the affirmative as he masterfully expounds the subject of covenant theology both historically and exegetically in his new book entitled, Covenant Theology A Reformed and Baptistic Perspective on God's Covenants.

Here is what Dr. Robert Oliver says about the book in the latest addition of Reformation Today:

"At last we have a work which explores the subject (covenant theology) historically and also attempts to deal with the Biblical evidence, giving us both Biblical and systematic theology. I have read Greg Nichols' work with mounting excitement. He presents a doctrine in which there is one chief character and hero, Christ the Redeemer, the seed of the woman who bruises the serpent's head. God creates a covenantal framework which progressively reveals Christ. This framework is established in three great deliverances: through Noah, Moses and Christ and in each case a covenant community is established. In the context of each of these covenant communities God intervenes, choosing a righteous servant through whom he will establish the community. God's 'covenants are symphonious, not atomistic' each new development flows out of the previous."

"This is an outstanding work which breaks new ground without overturning the work of the great covenant theologians of the past. It integrates the work of those who have gone before. It is well written and yet preserves the lecture format in which these chapters were first delivered. The chapters are of reasonable length and Nichols has a good clarity of style throughout. Useful diagrams are a help to understanding. The book is beautifully produced."

Dr. Oliver is lecturer in Church History and Historical Theology at the London Theological Seminary. He is also responsible for teaching Church history in the John Owen Centre and in this connection is an adjunct Professor of Church History in Westminster Theological Seminary Philadelphia. He is also visiting Professor of Church History at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary,Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Paul K.Jewett-Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace is an outstanding resource concerning the covenant from a Reformed Baptist perspective.

I know it has been a while since I have been on here, but I have been on the calvinist board on facebook lately. I have been a premillennial dispensationalist all of my life, but I seriously want to look into covenant theology. Can anyone sum it up for me on here? And, can anyone tell me any good books on it so I can get a hold to that?

Thanks

To sum it up......Covenant theology is Biblically based and dispensationalism is a man-made idea that tries to use Scripture to back up its ideas. :D . I haven't read any of the comments but i'm sure ppl have given you great resources by now :)

I would say that dispensationalism teaches that there was then and is now another way other than through Jesus. Covenant theology teaches that there has never been another way whereby a man can be saved other than through Jesus.:judge:

I would say that dispensationalism teaches that there is and was another way other than through Jesus. Covenant theology teaches that there was never a way other than through Jesus.

True, but many dispensationalists do not understand it to be this way. The Baptist church I attended in my youth was "schizophrenic" in this sense, becaue they were dispensationalists, yet believed that salvation was always through Christ.

I would say that dispensationalism teaches that there is and was another way other than through Jesus. Covenant theology teaches that there was never a way other than through Jesus.

True, but many dispensationalists do not understand it to be this way. The Baptist church I attended in my youth was "schizophrenic" in this sense, becaue they were dispensationalists, yet believed that salvation was always through Christ.
That is because historic dispensationalism is not only inconsistent, but incompatable with the Doctrines of Grace.

I used to be in a very similar situation. When I abandoned both Dispensationalism and all forms of Premillenialism I had no other systematic theology to replace it with. I had been taught to believe that Covenant Theology necessarily implied paedobaptism. After finding writings by John Gill, Benjamin Keach, J. L. Dagg, J. P. Boyce, Benjamin Beddome, Nehemiah Coxe, the Founders organization and a whole host of others, I realized that historically Baptists were Covenant Theologians and that their Covenant Theology did away with paedobaptism.

Since you're a fellow baptist I thought you might appreciate the following:

The Covenants - Robert Boyt C. Howell

Gill's Archive (search for Covenant under Gill's works.)

Covenant Theology from Adam to Christ

RBTR -- Reformed Baptist Theological Review

If you can find a copy, Nehemiah Coxe's Discourse on the Covenants

Covenant Theology by Greg Nichols

Paedoism or Credoism

J L Dagg's Manual of Theology

Founders Journal No. 76 if site is down alternate link here.

Baptist Standard Bearer (Many of the books are available online for free.)

Baptist view of Covenant Theology series.

Various articles from Reformed Baptists on Covenant Theology.

Hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back