Charismatic Episcopal Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
(I've posted this here, since I guess one can't really consider them a "cult" or a "false religion" in the usual senses. Mods, if it does need to be moved, it's OK by me, of course.)

Anyone ever heard of this denomination? They're headquartered in Malverne, New York. They seem to have a fair number of churches in the US (5 in California alone). They describe themselves as "fully charismatic, fully evangelical, and fully liturgical." They have a conservative theology (more or less) and have no ties to either the Episcopal Church here in the US or to the worldwide Anglican Church.

Don't know how long they've been around. One of their pastors has a blog: The Glorious Deeds of Christ.

I guess there's no end to the proliferation of denominations out there...

They do not use historical Anglican liturgy. They use Rite 2 from the Episcopal Church Churches 1978 Book of Common Prayer. This is a Post Vatican II liturgy that bears little resemblance to the historic liturgy of the Anglican Communion.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

It looks like a bunch of charismatic evangelicals grew and wanted some liturgy.

They also require a 10% tithe from their membership- that helps with paying for all those robes and gowns at least!

They are like the Vineyard Churches but with the Episcopacy and a contemporary liturgy.

The Charismatic Episcopal Church in Meridian, Idaho, where I live, practices a "high-church" liturgy. Their priest was formerly a Roman Catholic priest. I've not visited, but have been told by a member their service is like a solomn "mass" (his word) with bells and incense, with some times built in for charismatic expressions of prayer.

We also have an AMiA congregation in Meridian (around the corner from the other) which worships more like a Vineyard with eucharist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back