Charles J. Brown on Disruption principles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... First, that Christ is the only King and Head of the Church: second, that as such he has appointed a government of the Church in the hands of officers of her own, of ecclesiastical office-bearers; and, third, that this government in their hands, derived from Him, is wholly distinct from the State, or civil power, is subordinate to Him alone,—is not subordinate within its own province to the civil magistrate. ...

For more, see Charles J. Brown on Disruption principles.

I came across Charles J. Brown yesterday when reading William Cunningham's Discussions on Church Principles. Judging by his literary output, Brown was a significant figure in his own right.

I wonder, and I am loath to do so, if we are indeed ripe for a good critical edition of George Gillespie's Aaron's Rod Blossoming? I'm not convinced the Reformed church is confused on this as much as disagreeing when the magistrate has a legitimate roll affecting the church as in instances of plague.

I wonder, and I am loath to do so, if we are indeed ripe for a good critical edition of George Gillespie's Aaron's Rod Blossoming? I'm not convinced the Reformed church is confused on this as much as disagreeing when the magistrate has a legitimate roll affecting the church as in instances of plague.

Even as an anti-lockdown person, I found rash charges of Erastianism to betray a confused understanding of the magistrate's authority. To be honest, I do not think we need another edition of Aaron's Rod Blossoming. The Sprinkle reprint is sufficient and there are too many other books that need to be reprinted.

Even as an anti-lockdown person, I found rash charges of Erastianism to betray a confused understanding of the magistrate's authority. To be honest, I do not think we need another edition of Aaron's Rod Blossoming. The Sprinkle reprint is sufficient and there are too many other books that need to be reprinted.
That's sort of a relief. But I know the Hetherington set too well to not know that text is got to be missing text and other mistakes.

I just read the late Hugh Cartwright's entry on Charles J. Brown in the DSCH&T. Apparently, he was the brother of David Brown, who is now more well-known owing to his writings of eschatology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back