Charles Spurgeon Approved of Weekly Communion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
As he says in this passage:

This remembrance of the death of Christ must be a constant remembrance. The Lord's Supper was meant to be a frequent feast of fellowship. It is a grievous mistake of the church when the communion is held but once in the year or once in a quarter of a year, and I cannot remember any Scripture which justifies once in the month. I should not feel satisfied without breaking bread on every Lord's Day. It has come to me even oftener than once a week, for it has been my delight to break bread with many a little company of Christian friends. Whenever this Supper is celebrated, we declare that "Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures." We cannot think of that death too often. - "The Blood Shed for Many" (Matthew 26.28), Sunday morning, July 3, 1887

FYI

I cannot remember any Scripture which justifies once in the month.

I cannot remember any Scripture which justifies once in the week. Since Mr. Spurgeon had it come to him oftener than once a week, it would appear even weekly communion would have been too infrequent for him. His memorialist reasoning suggests he should have been receiving it at least once a day; and since he tied the Lord's supper to a frequency of thinking of Christ, he may have needed it every hour, if not every moment.

Thankfully the exercise of faith in feeding on Christ and His gracious benefits is not tied to the reception of the sacrament. Mr. Spurgeon bore abundant testimony to this fact in his preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back