Cheapest seminaries or colleges offering reformed, accredited, online only undergraduate degrees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13126
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am not a seminarian, so take what I am about to say in that light; I think you really just need to weigh your options. The best way to do this is let the Bible direct your path. And do so with patience. This is how I would go about it.

1. Do you think that a pastor should go to seminary to be the best pastor they can be?
2. If you were to be a pastor, would you want to be the best pastor you could be?
3. Do you feel called to be a pastor, or simply in ministry?

Then I would ask myself the questions:

1. Do I have the financial resources to go to seminary?
2. Do I have the resources but just think its expensive?
3. Or am I simply not financially able?

Then I would look at the Bible and ask these questions:

1. If I am financially able, what does the Bible say we should reserve in fulfilling his commission? Anything?
2. If I am not financially able, what does the Bible say about loans? Are they ever painted in a good light?

Then, depending on those answers, I would consider the following?

1. Though I may desire to be a pastor currently, am I called to be one evidenced by Gods provision to be one? That is if you think pastors should go to seminary.

2. Or, do I desire to simply be useful to the kingdom in whatever area God directs me, evidenced by his provision to facilitate my placement in that position?

This reminds me of John Piper once speaking on egalitarianism; saying how you could lay 1000 Christian ministries before some women, but they will instead trouble over the one they cannot doctrinally facilitate.

Look within your soul, and ask yourself what do you think the people of God deserve? Who would you want to protect your wife if you had to take a long journey? A person who watched Youtube videos on Kung-Fu, or a person who travelled to Asia and learned personally from the Masters themselves?

If God has called you to this office, the gates of Hell will not be able to stop his provision from landing in your lap. You do not need to do what the Bible warns us against, and become a slave to the debtor; instead blessed are all those who wait upon Him.

Come to God with the attitude that you are willing to serve him anywhere, doing anything. And if he wants to make you a minister no power in the world can stop him, no lack or attainment of degree can refrain him, nor could we stop his hand if he so decides.

Keep doing what you are doing, be faithful; and watch him open opportunities and doors you now deem impossible. Dont rush it. There are many a seminarian up to their gills in student loans that thought they had to be in the pulpit by 25. God didnt activate Moses until he was 80, and he was only 1 of 2 out of how many Old Testament saints, to converse with our Lord on the Mount of Transfiguration. All things work to our good and His glory if we are his. And I highly doubt God will leave a man to a life of dormancy; who desires with all his heart to serve him faithfully.

By the way, might want to check out the website Biblingo for those languages. Also, I see you are 1689. If you can get a church recommendation, RBS (Reformed Baptist Seminary) is $80 per credit. That means if you can save $100 a month, you can go to seminary online; one course at a time. Why rush? Being a Pastor is the ministry position with the greatest responsibility. Train accordingly.
Brother I hear you but how you approach this situation differs whether you are Presbyterian or Baptist. The former has lesser leeway to not go to seminary. The latter has more freedom as a local church.

"I think there is a great need in the church for men who master Master's level content."

This then begs the question; what are we to do with this generation? In the history of education, especially theological education; at no previous time has more educational facilitation via. books, conferences, aids, guides, softwares, lectures, or courses; been offered free to the common Christian with a simple internet connection. At some point we have to cast off the old shroud and realize that previous modes were necessitated by a lack of viable alternatives; but in this generation; formal education is now optional, and the alternatives are closer to the traditional, than Equate brand is to name brand.

Also considering 43-45% of the US working population makes at or slightly above minimum wage, and the exuberant costs of Seminary; there should be a trend of some other way. The Bible never mentions formal education or finances as prerequisites for ministry. While it is most definitely a blessing to those who can venture in that arena; we are already in an age where a greater level of resources is offered to the common man; than was offered to Augustine, Luther, or Calvin; potentially combined, or any theologian prior to 1900.

It is crazy to think about. It is no longer a matter of accessibility, but of desire. Who wants to put in the work?

There's more to it than that. The disciples didn't have MDivs, but they did have Jesus' intense one-on-one discipleship for three years. They were uneducated men by the standards of the culture, but they had been with Jesus. There's no comparison between reading books and being mentored by someone who knows; and even that needs to be supplemented by hands-on experience. Denominations set up seminaries to fill that need, because pastors have strained time and may have theological/practical gaps. And after 2,000 years of New Testament history there's a lot for a new aspirant to know. The necessity means that seminary is not cheap, but a good seminary under good oversight goes a long ways in protecting the broad church and the local flock.

As for cost, some denominations will front at least some of the money; sometimes all of it, depending on which denomination and what is the student situation. That's not usually before the church has examined a man and determined they do have some real potential for the work.

Last edited:
There's more to it than that. The disciples didn't have MDivs, but they did have Jesus' intense one-on-one discipleship for three years. They were uneducated men by the standards of the culture, but they had been with Jesus. There's no comparison between reading books and being mentored by someone who knows; and even that needs to be supplemented by hands-on experience. Denominations set up seminaries to fill that need, because pastors have strained time and may have theological/practical gaps. And after 2,000 years of New Testament history there's a lot for a new aspirant to know. The necessity means that seminary is not cheap, but a good seminary under good oversight goes a long ways in protecting the broad church and the local flock.

As for cost, some denominations will front at least some of the money; sometimes all of it, depending on which denomination and what is the student situation. That's not usually before the church has examined a man and determined they do have some real potential for the work.
I would gently push back on that idea for the simple reason that online M.Divs are currently a booming business; with most seminaries offering them. And anyone who has done online college knows; that it consists of 4 main components, and sometimes 3. Mostly reading, assignments, and discussion posts; and if you are lucky, lectures are included too. This idea of a hen taking chicks under their wing is not realistic. And much of that can be mimicked by autodidact study. With that being said, there is still mentorship in the form of emails and professor feedback, but I dont know if you can go so far as to say its absence would be so incomparable to its presence; that without it the effort would be futile.

Last edited:
I would gently push back on that idea for the simple reason that online M.Divs are currently a booming business; with most seminaries offering them. And anyone who has done online college knows; that it consists of 4 main components, and sometimes 3. Mostly reading, assignments, and discussion posts; and if you are lucky, lectures are included too. This idea of a hen taking chicks under their wing is not realistic. And much of that can be mimicked by autodidact study. With that being said, there is still mentorship in the form of emails and professor feedback, but I dont know if you can go so far as to say its absence would be so incomparable to its presence; that without it the effort would be futile.

Sadly, you may be right that with some it is business, and it should not be. This is life-and-death work. Still I can tell you, I've been a distant learner in my institution from August '21 to August '22, and from August '22 until now I have been an on-site student. In-person is far better.

Some things like homiletics should not be evaluated over video. I wouldn't want to be counseled by someone who had only watched the CCEF videos but never did in-person sessions with real people with real problems and then had a mentor spend serious time and energy to correct, refine, and improve them. When on-site the professors can evaluate you as a person (and here they do watch you), and they are good men to do it since they are the frontline inspectors for who will be ministering in their denomination.

Perhaps you can go and get a stock of books to educate yourself, though far better to be sitting in class under the guys who are writing the books. I'm deeply grateful that I'm not just left to search the Reformed bookstores (good as they are) to figure out how to deal with NT Wright: I get to hear it from men who have dealt copiously with his writings. Nothing beats sitting in a classroom with a professor who can give you the entire philosophical history that has led to the postmodernism of today, so that you better know how to reach out to those under its influence. I wouldn't want to exchange that in-class discussion hour each week for anything.

Indeed, it's not hard-and-fast rules, but there's good reason that the church has kept the university/seminary model. Students selecting their own books don't know what they should choose for their reading and why, and they don't know what academic rigor they should aspire to. If done well, it's a safeguard. It may be expensive and cost something, but that's discipleship. The disciples themselves left their nets. As serious as the work of ministry is, it's worth it to signal your commitment by uprooting and giving yourself the absolute best possible opportunity to educate yourself for this work. As for money, if the Lord calls a man, He'll provide both competency and the funds to obtain it.

Last edited:
Sadly, you may be right that with some it is business, and it should not be. This is life-and-death work. Still I can tell you, I've been a distant learner in my institution from August '21 to August '22, and from August '22 until now I have been an on-site student. In-person is far better.

Some things like homiletics should not be evaluated over video. I wouldn't want to be counseled by someone who had only watched the CCEF videos but never did in-person sessions with real people with real problems and then had a mentor spend serious time and energy to correct, refine, and improve them. When on-site the professors can evaluate you as a person (and here they do watch you), and they are good men to do it since they are the frontline inspectors for who will be ministering in their denomination.

Perhaps you can go and get a stock of books to educate yourself, though far better to be sitting in class under the guys who are writing the books. I'm deeply grateful that I'm not just left to search the Reformed bookstores (good as they are) to figure out how to deal with NT Wright: I get to hear it from men who have dealt copiously with his writings. Nothing beats sitting in a classroom with a professor who can give you the entire philosophical history that has led to the postmodernism of today, so that you better know how to reach out to those under its influence. I wouldn't want to exchange that in-class discussion hour each week for anything.

Indeed, it's not hard-and-fast rules, but there's good reason that the church has kept the university/seminary model. Students selecting their own books don't know what they should choose for their reading and why, and they don't know what academic rigor they should aspire to. If done well, it's a safeguard. It may be expensive and cost something, but that's discipleship. The disciples themselves left their nets. As serious as the work of ministry is, it's worth it to signal your commitment by uprooting and giving yourself the absolute best possible opportunity to educate yourself for this work. As for money, if the Lord calls a man, He'll provide both competency and the funds to obtain it.
I hear ya, but I don't think we can really correlate "it costs something, but that's discipleship." 43-45% of Americans make at or slightly above minimum wage. A large percent of current seminarians wouldn't have been able to go to seminary without copious amounts of student loans; or their wives working so they can go to class; or both. Relatively few people in contemporary culture can afford graduate school on top of undergrad; that's why there may be such a contrast between an almost 50% population with some post secondary education, but only 13% with a Masters. I am sure in the early church, many Christians would have loved to sit under Peter, or Paul, or John; yet all that we have is their letters; and look at what has been done with them. Not ever potential minister feels the need nor deems seminary absolute for ministry; Spurgeon, Llyod-Jones, Bunyan, etc. are some examples. This is again why I point back to the conviction. If God is convicting someone that seminary be necessary, it may very well be necessary for them; and thus they should wait until God provides. But if God is already providing by the areas listed above, and you can receive mentorship and approval of your church; then it may not be necessary. There will always be a theological topic we will not be adept at. One can major in N.T. Wright studies, but no almost nothing on Popular Apologetics. One can be conversant in Greek; while oblivious to Hebrew... yet if you know both do you also know Latin, Dutch, and/or German? When we say seminary is absolutely necessary; we almost from the gate cut off half the population from potential pastoring. The number of pastors are already declining, seminaries are closing; and those still around are getting more expensive. If heaven forbids a non-discrimination policy comes into play barring religious schools from receiving student loans if they discriminate based on sexual orientation, they will decrease more.

In my opinion it would be wise not to cast the net too far from the informally educated. It may one day be the norm and the bulk behind the pulpit.

I hear ya, but I don't think we can really correlate "it costs something, but that's discipleship." 43-45% of Americans make at or slightly above minimum wage. A large percent of current seminarians wouldn't have been able to go to seminary without copious amounts of student loans; or their wives working so they can go to class; or both. Relatively few people in contemporary culture can afford graduate school on top of undergrad; that's why there may be such a contrast between an almost 50% population with some post secondary education, but only 13% with a Masters. I am sure in the early church, many Christians would have loved to sit under Peter, or Paul, or John; yet all that we have is their letters; and look at what has been done with them. Not ever potential minister feels the need nor deems seminary absolute for ministry; Spurgeon, Llyod-Jones, Bunyan, etc. are some examples. This is again why I point back to the conviction. If God is convicting someone that seminary be necessary, it may very well be necessary for them; and thus they should wait until God provides. But if God is already providing by the areas listed above, and you can receive mentorship and approval of your church; then it may not be necessary. There will always be a theological topic we will not be adept at. One can major in N.T. Wright studies, but no almost nothing on Popular Apologetics. One can be conversant in Greek; while oblivious to Hebrew... yet if you know both do you also know Latin, Dutch, and/or German? When we say seminary is absolutely necessary; we almost from the gate cut off half the population from potential pastoring. The number of pastors are already declining, seminaries are closing; and those still around are getting more expensive. If heaven forbids a non-discrimination policy comes into play barring religious schools from receiving student loans if they discriminate based on sexual orientation, they will decrease more.

In my opinion it would be wise not to cast the net too far from the informally educated. It may one day be the norm and the bulk behind the pulpit.

It's worth noting that both Spurgeon and Lloyd Jones founded their own seminaries, so they aren't really good examples for the "ministry doesn't really need seminary" camp. Sometimes those who are self-educated are painfully aware of what they missed out on rather than eagerly advocating for others to follow in their footsteps.

There are denominations who ask their churches to pay x amount for every congregant member number they have towards a combined denominational student fund which offsets costs.

Such denominations also have their own seminary and so their students study for free and in addition they have a stipend for living expenses.

my point is that every local church (in a denomination) ought to be financially contributing to the training of ministers (within their denomination). Such training benefits the denomination which will in turn benefit the local church one day when they require a trained man.

I don’t know if the PCA OPC does this. And I’m guessing the Reformed Baptists do not as well.

Here is an example: a student in Dr Joel Beeke's denomintion can attend his seminary and learn under him for free. A URC student cannot do the same to learn under Horton or R Scott Clark unless the seminary's scholarship works well enough for him (?). This ties in to the current situation where URC PCA OPC do not have denominational seminaries (other than Covenant for the PCA), whereas small denominations do. Yes, I do believe denominational seminaries are ideal.

Last edited:
I certainly understand the points made by all involved in this thread. I completed my undergraduate degree on campus, but completed my MDIV online. There’s no question that ideally, I would have liked to have been on campus during that time. However, with our job situation and the financial benefit of the seminary paying for my degree entirely, completing my MDIV online was best for our family.

I was greatly benefitted by the fact that our pastor really mentored me during this time. I spent my days gleaning much in pastoral theology and ministry from him and spent my evenings writing exegetical papers, doing discussion boards, and completing readings for my classes.

An online degree in isolation from real mentorship would have been wholly insufficient. But I feel that the last four years that the combination of my classes, internship, and mentorship of our elders has laid a strong foundation for me for ordination and future ministry.

Praying that God provides the right fit for you and your family in His timing.

I don’t know if the PCA OPC does this. And I’m guessing the Reformed Baptists do not as well.

The Reformed Baptists had/have it, in its own peculiar form.

There used to be the Trinity Ministerial Academy. Sending churches would sponsor pastors and aspirants to attend there.

The Covenant Baptist Seminary did have a church sponsorship program, and I'm guessing they still do. Myself and some others took a few classes there in 2017, thanks to our church footing the bill.

It's worth noting that both Spurgeon and Lloyd Jones founded their own seminaries, so they aren't really good examples for the "ministry doesn't really need seminary" camp. Sometimes those who are self-educated are painfully aware of what they missed out on rather than eagerly advocating for others to follow in their footsteps.
True, but I never think it is a matter of eagerness from any party to promote the absence of formal training. As I have mentioned above, it isnt to promote forgoing, it is instead to understand that formal training, especially given the exuberant costs is simply not feasible for many Americans, let alone potential ministers from developing countries. Strip away financial aid, and most likely half of seminaries would close within a year; maybe more. This goes to show really how far out of reach they are for many people. If it were up to many, there is probably an idea that all Christians should go to seminary, kind of like the Mormon model, even if the classes for pastoral focus were omitted for those not called to that office. But there is desire, and then there is reality. And the reality is that an average of $350-$650 a credit, plus fees, plus books, for 90 credits is too much even for most Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back