Check this out - Paul Washer : Shocking message!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Has anyone ever heard of Paul Washer ?
See his sermon : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuabITeO4l8"]YouTube - Paul Washer - Shocking Message (full length)[/ame]

Any thoughts ?

I have listened to that sermon many times. It is what I wish my youth group growing up could have heard. I made my teenage niece listen to it while I did her hair for her prom. She heard the unadulterated gospel that day and I pray it will open her eyes. He is so Pauline in that sermon.

I listened to that sermon a while ago, and just showed it to my wife.

I wish someone had spoken to me like that when I was a teenager.

Paul Washer

We need more of this and less Rick Warren and Joel Osteen. This reminds of when Jesus told the Pharisees that they went over land and sea to make one convert and they make him several times over the child of Hell that they are.

We need more of this and less Rick Warren and Joel Osteen. This reminds of when Jesus told the Pharisees that they went over land and sea to make one convert and they make him several times over the child of Hell that they are.

:ditto: :ditto:

I was reading A. W. Tozer today and he saw a lot of this happening long ago. "Seeing that we humans were once created in the image of God and that we have by our sin fallen into a state of spiritual blindness and mortality, I would rather be a serious-minded dolt concerned about eternal life than to be an overpaid jester with nothing better to do than to make men laugh and forget that they must die and come to judgment."

I would rather be a serious-minded dolt concerned about eternal life than to be an overpaid jester with nothing better to do than to make men laugh and forget that they must die and come to judgment

Citation for that? I might find use for it in the future......

Citation for that? I might find use for it in the future......

It's from "The Warfare of the Spirit: Developing Spiritual Maturity." The chapter is #5 entitled "Crowing the Court Fool." Christian Publications, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, 1993, p. 18.

I'm not sure where Tozer was regarding the doctrines of grace, but I know I need to go back to him once in a while to be straightened out, challenged, comforted, educated.

very interesting. I wonder how the lives of these kids were impacted in the years following?

I appreciate what he does in the context he does it in; but I hope everyone understands that a minister cannot address his congregation like this week in/week out. Where there is faithful exposition and application week in/week out, this sort of confrontational preaching should not be necessary. Faithful biblical preaching founds Christian responsility on divine soveriengty, Christian service on divine grace, and therefore always includes the element of doxology. I hope the brethren on this list who extol Mr. Washer's sermons have carefully discerned that this element seems to be obscured. I would also caution people to beware of the medieval whip, whereby Christians gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive. But I reiterate, I appreciate what Mr. Washer does in the context he does it in. Blessings!

I appreciate what he does in the context he does it in; but I hope everyone understands that a minister cannot address his congregation like this week in/week out. Where there is faithful exposition and application week in/week out, this sort of confrontational preaching should not be necessary. Faithful biblical preaching founds Christian responsility on divine soveriengty, Christian service on divine grace, and therefore always includes the element of doxology. I hope the brethren on this list who extol Mr. Washer's sermons have carefully discerned that this element seems to be obscured. I would also caution people to beware of the medieval whip, whereby Christians gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive. But I reiterate, I appreciate what Mr. Washer does in the context he does it in. Blessings!

Matthew - I'll take the bookends of your post "I appreciate what he does" and glean from them that you approve of Mr. Washer's message. He was delivering it to a youth conference with a mixed audience. In that setting it was what the doctor ordered. Keep in mind that Mr. Washer was addressing a Baptist conference. With a heavy heart I must confess that the American Baptist church is steeped in semi-Pelagianism and Finneyism. A wake up is needed, even if it is harsh. I agree that this type of preaching should not be the norm within the church. Thank God for those Baptist churches that do proclaim the gospel in power and truth. But those churches are in the minority. I pray that the Lord uses Mr. Washer's message to reclaim the majority churches for Himself.

:amen:

I would also caution people to beware of the medieval whip, whereby Christians gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive.

That must be me, because I often enjoy (GREATLY) this kind.style of preaching.

If you're concerned about Washer seeming to be imbalanced, by all means listen to some of his other sermons. Further, as Bill stated already, this sort of preaching is desperately, desperately, desperately needed amongst Baptists in America.

Youth Groups

The youth need more strong biblically grounded teaching prior to going off to college. I think the number of kids that lose their faith in college is as high as 60-70%. Most youth groups (at least where I live) are more concerned with getting numbers in the door and making church fun. When they go off to school and they are confronted with the "facts" of evolution and atheism and all they have to draw on from what they learned in church is basketbal, soccer, concerts and other youth events, they are left with nothing! The churches need more good solid teaching, both with the youth and for the adults, in Sunday school and from the pulpit. If the parents believe it they will teach it and live it in the home. The problem is most pastors don't know anything. We need a new Reformation.

I am speaking mostly from experience to my area, it may not apply to other areas.

Actually what teenagers need today is more parental guidance and proper biblical teaching in the home. In fact the teen years are too late. Children should be taught God's word from childhood. The church is a poor substitute for what parents ought to be doing.

As far as the apostasy rate you cited, I am convinced that is the true measure of their spiritual condition. Youth groups are full of teens who are lost. They have just become 'christianized.' Parents need to wake up and fulfill their responsibility.

A lot of youth groups are a place to hang out with your friends, maybe find a girlfriend, etc. Far too many are not grounded in their youth, as Bill said above. I was one of them.

I am listening to Paul now. Great stuff. There is sadly one thing you don't hear enough in some SBChurches - repentance. He is stressing that in this audio.

As far as the apostasy rate you cited, I am convinced that is the true measure of their spiritual condition. Youth groups are full of teens who are lost. They have just become 'christianized.' Parents need to wake up and fulfill their responsibility.

Amen.

:(

Matthew - I'll take the bookends of your post "I appreciate what he does" and glean from them that you approve of Mr. Washer's message. He was delivering it to a youth conference with a mixed audience. In that setting it was what the doctor ordered. Keep in mind that Mr. Washer was addressing a Baptist conference. With a heavy heart I must confess that the American Baptist church is steeped in semi-Pelagianism and Finneyism. A wake up is needed, even if it is harsh. I agree that this type of preaching should not be the norm within the church. Thank God for those Baptist churches that do proclaim the gospel in power and truth. But those churches are in the minority. I pray that the Lord uses Mr. Washer's message to reclaim the majority churches for Himself.

But I reiterate, I appreciate what Mr. Washer does in the context he does it in. Blessings!

I believe Rev. Winzer's accolades for Mr. Washer are specific to the setting you described, but not for the congregation to week-by-week "gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive."

Well said Rev. Winzer.

I would also caution people to beware of the medieval whip, whereby Christians gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive.

Thank you for this admonishment. I can see the danger now. :pray2:

I believe Rev. Winzer's accolades for Mr. Washer are specific to the setting you described, but not for the congregation to week-by-week "gain some sort of psychological satisfaction from the pain of being awakened to their sins because conviction makes them feel spiritually alive."

Well said Rev. Winzer.

Chris, maybe there are some folks who would enjoy sitting under this type of preaching week after week. I can confidently say that I wouldn't enjoy it. I'd find it too painful. This type of preaching should drive people to repentance. If a church finds itself in such a bad way that this type of preaching is needed more than once in a blue moon, well...there is something seriously wrong. The words of the prophet Isaiah should be heeded:

Isaiah 1:5 5 Where will you be stricken again, As you continue in your rebellion? The whole head is sick, And the whole heart is faint.

To a self-deceived heart, sermons like Mr. Washer's bounce off with little effect. As Mr. Washer said in his sermon, only those on the narrow way will heed the call to repentance.

The real issue here is not whether this type of preaching is apropros. It is, given the spiritual condition of many churches. The real question is why this type of preaching is necessary. Bad theology has lead to bad practice across the Baptist spectrum. The problem is a spiritual epidemic. Corrective measures sometimes call for a harsh wake-up call followed by repentance, proper teaching and practice. By no means am I saying that Mr. Washer's sermon is the end-all, be-all of the true gospel. But for many Baptist churches where the, "...whole head is sick..." it is a message that has been a long time in coming.

There is a balance I think.

This kind of sermon is needed badly in the spectrum into which Mr Washer is preaching it. But as previously stated be on our guard that we don't look to such preaching as merely some kind of spiritual cathartic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back