Children of Believers

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I will be their God."

Thank you Pastor. What exactly does this entail since not every covenant child comes to faith and therefore He is not their Savior? (Not a trick question or anything. I am geniunely curious as to what all "being their God" entails)

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I'm know there are Credos on the forum better qualified to answer your questions, but since you hadn't gotten much response on this end, here's my 2 cents:

I do consider my children as heirs to the promise and so different than children of pagans. So I follow the idea of presumptive election and
tell them that "God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life" (Campus Crusade reference).

I'm just waiting for them to publicly proclaim their faith before letting them be baptized.

Thanks for your input. So what would you consider the sign and seal of the promise?

What exactly does this entail since not every covenant child comes to faith and therefore He is not their Savior?

It entails raising them to call God their God, Christ their Saviour, the Spirit their Comforter, and the church their family, with the duty to walk in faith, hope, love, repentance, obedience, and perseverance to the end.

It entails raising them to call God their God, Christ their Saviour, the Spirit their Comforter, and the church their family, with the duty to walk in faith, hope, love, repentance, obedience, and perseverance to the end.

Doesn't the Reformed Baptist do the same thing though?

If he does the same thing, i.e., brings up his children in the profession of the faith, nothing hinders the child being baptised.

If he does the same thing, i.e., brings up his children in the profession of the faith, nothing hinders the child being baptised.

Except for the child not offering up a confession of faith.

What are the promises unique to them?

We dont see the promise in Acts 2:39 as just being for children only in a unique sense, but is instead to all that the Lord calls to himself. The promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself by the means God has ordained. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved and faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. And the promise itself is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that is the seal of our salvation. Hopefully that helps John.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Except for the child not offering up a confession of faith.

Doublespeak!

Not as far as we are concerned, we have a different view of the use of the word Christian here and a different way of which we see one as a disciple of Christ. Non-confessing children are not seen as disciples and are not born Christian in our view regardless if they have Christian parents, which is why we do not baptize them.

Last edited:
Not as far as we are concerned, we have a different view of the use of the word Christian here and a different way of which we see one as a disciple of Christ. Non-confessing children are not seen as disciples and are not born Christian in our view regardless if they have Christian parents, which is why we do not baptize them.

Then they are not raised in the profession of the faith. In which case, one should not claim that they are.

Yeah we do, we just do not see them as Christian untill they confess Christ as their Savior. We distinguish between teaching them the faith so that one day they can believe, and calling them to repentence compared to them actually being in the faith of the church since birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back