children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
This is an excerpt from the Humanist Manifesto II. This portion deals in part with life after death. After denying life after death, the manifesto explains that we still have an interest in the future through children:
There is no credible evidence that life survives the death of the body. We continue to exist in our progeny and in the way that our lives have influenced others in our culture.
Now compare to this excerpt in Psalm 17:
13Arise, O LORD! Confront him, subdue him! Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword, 14from men by your hand, O LORD, from men of the world whose portion is in this life. You fill their womb with treasure; they are satisfied with children, and they leave their abundance to their infants. 15As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
This humanistic idea of placing sole reliance in the future on children pops up in allot of places. I know in the Star Trek series, Riker would make the humanistic point.

[Edited on 2-21-2006 by Scott]

That is a neat comparison, Scott. There is truly "nothing new under the sun," merely repackaged for a modern age. I will definitely file your contribution here for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back