Chilton's "Days of Vengence" Returning to Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSixDays

Inactive User
I have been in conversation with Gary North recently (will be helping him rework his old freebooks.com website) on a variety of topics.

I brought up the fact that Chilton's Days of Vengence was entirely out of print and all/most of the used copies have been bought up. I mentioned that there was still a demand for printed copies of the book, pointing out that he could use an online print-on-demand service to republish it and keep it in print indefinately. Dr. North was immediately attracted to the idea, and after some research found a POD service useful to his needs (this is the same one that Zondervan uses to print some of their books as well).

At any rate, DOV is coming back into print! I don't know when it will be, but I will keep the board posted on when it will be made available as soon as I know.

:amen: Yay!!! Praise God for a great book returning to print! :book2:

I own a copy, but have had real trouble finding another one for my church library. I've found a few copies for over $90.00, but my pastor is holding out to find one under $40. I can't wait until the book goes back into print!

Thank you for the great news! :banana:

Originally posted by Fernando
Greg Bahnsen did a review of DOV that criticizes Chilton's "interpretive maximalism".

Bahnsen wasn't perfect. He was primarily critical of Chilton's book because of his disturbingly dogmatic resistance to Ray Sutton's work on covenantal theology. Chilton bases his commentary off of Sutton's work. North has pointed out that Bahnsen was resistant to Sutton's work mostly because Sutton was inspired by Meredith Kline. Bahnsen and Kline were the players of a controversy similar to that between Van Til and Barth, or Van Til and Clark.

I greatly respect Bahnsen as a theologian, an exegete, and an apologist. I remain in awe of his grasp of logic and defense of the faith. Nonetheless, I feel that in this matter he may not be in the right.

James Jordan (who I don't really agree with in a lot of things) discusses "interpretive maximalism" in an interesting article.

In fact, as I just thought of this, Chilton's interpretive method is not in exclusion of the grammatico-historical method. My personal view is that everything in the OT foreshadows Christ. This does not mean that the OT is not also completely accureate in its recording of historical detail. Jordan takes this view explicitly in his book Creation in Six Days, and is in line with the typological works of such scholars like Vern Poythress, Kline (not wrong on everything, thankfully, only creation), Austin Farrar, Wenham, Hoeksema, Moises Silva, and some of the works of Peter J. Leithart.

[Edited on 6-15-2005 by InSixDays]

Awesome!

I've heard that Gentry, Jr. is working on a commentary on Revelation. Is this true? If so, it will likely be the last commentary on Revelation I ever buy. :banana:

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Awesome!

I've heard that Gentry, Jr. is working on a commentary on Revelation. Is this true? If so, it will likely be the last commentary on Revelation I ever buy. :banana:

It is true. It will be called something like "A Tale of Two Cities." I think it will be a while before it will be out. He was supposed to be on chapter six around 2002.

whether you agree or disagree with chilton's book because of its interpretive style or you are of a different persuasion (historist, futurist, idealist), Days of Vengeance is a book that everyone should read. Of course I would recommend skipping Gary North's introduction because it turns people off from the excellent scholarship in the book. Gary North and Rush Limbaugh have the same problem, they have trouble submitting to authority.

Originally posted by bigheavyq
whether you agree or disagree with chilton's book because of its interpretive style or you are of a different persuasion (historist, futurist, idealist), Days of Vengeance is a book that everyone should read. Of course I would recommend skipping Gary North's introduction because it turns people off from the excellent scholarship in the book.

:ditto:

There are terrific insights in Chilton's commentary, regardless of whether a person agrees with every single point. I have found it very helpful.

Great news about Gentry's commentary on Revlelation. Bahnsen was going to write one a while back, but I think that fell through the cracks, because he never finished it before he died (though he's sorted out all of the differing opinions by now! He has the teaching of Christ! Man, would THAT be a great commentary!)

I should hasten to point out here, as I failed to do before, is that like anyone I don't agree with everything in DoV. Nevertheless, it is one of the most powerful and insightful commentaries on Revelation written in quite a while. There are, of course, other good ones available too.

whether you agree or disagree with chilton's book because of its interpretive style or you are of a different persuasion (historist, futurist, idealist), Days of Vengeance is a book that everyone should read.

Agreed. :)

Of course I would recommend skipping Gary North's introduction because it turns people off from the excellent scholarship in the book. Gary North and Rush Limbaugh have the same problem, they have trouble submitting to authority.

I think he has more trouble respecting academia and inconsistant thinking than authority per se.

I have read much of north, I am probably closer to his thinking than any other, however he lacks humility and respect for God given authority. His problems with his father-in-law and mentor, Rushdoony, is an example of his rebellion. He and other recon leaders are like some independent pastors I know. They don't want to be accountable to anyone else.
They need to repent of their sin. They need our prayers.

I have read much of north, I am probably closer to his thinking than any other, however he lacks humility and respect for God given authority. His problems with his father-in-law and mentor, Rushdoony, is an example of his rebellion.

By all acounts, it was Rushdoony who had a problem with him. North on several occasions requested to meet with Rush and talk things over, and it even got so far as having him fly out to california. But Rushdoony stormed out of the room and refused to see him. It was North who attempted reconciliation.

Rather, the man is blunt. Incredibly blunt at times. And he doesn't write academically. These are the only "sins" of his that I'm aware of.

He and other recon leaders are like some independent pastors I know. They don't want to be accountable to anyone else.
They need to repent of their sin. They need our prayers.

Some of them take it too far, this is true. North included. I have tremendous respect for the man as an apologist, a writer, an economist, and a historian, but I'd be lying if I said I agreed with him all the time. But sin? You'd have too provide evidence of that (beyond the scope of this thread).

I'd be interested in talking more about it though. Email or PM me. :)

Originally posted by openairboy
When will the freebooks site be re-done?

thanks,
openairboy

Dr. North would like to get all of the books into PDF for easier access. I think he will keep the html and DejaVu versions up too.

At that point, the site will be redesigned. He wants to make it easier and simpler to work with, while looking more professional. I will be suggesting that a new newsletter or topic is automatically daily changed on the homepage.

Sadly, it may be a while before the site is re-done. As in multiple months. Dr. North wants to take precautions in the PDF files so that they cannot be tampered with or changed (at least not by anyone less than an expert hacker). This means we have to rescan all of the books back into the computer, which is a big job.

Originally posted by InSixDays
Originally posted by openairboy
When will the freebooks site be re-done?

thanks,
openairboy

Dr. North would like to get all of the books into PDF for easier access. I think he will keep the html and DejaVu versions up too.

At that point, the site will be redesigned. He wants to make it easier and simpler to work with, while looking more professional. I will be suggesting that a new newsletter or topic is automatically daily changed on the homepage.

Sadly, it may be a while before the site is re-done. As in multiple months. Dr. North wants to take precautions in the PDF files so that they cannot be tampered with or changed (at least not by anyone less than an expert hacker). This means we have to rescan all of the books back into the computer, which is a big job.

Any reason he is going PDF than Deja Vu. The html versions are terrible, but I kind of like the Deja Vu. Will he blog or does he see as a waste of time (a common theme recently).

openairboy

Gentry\'s commentary

I'd love to see it as well, but I'll shortly be listening to these MP3's at the Covenant Media Foundation:

"The Divorce of Israel"

He goes through introductory material to the book of Revelation as well as lectures right on through the book. I'm sure we'll see a lot of this in the eventual commentary... Hope that helps anyone that was interested in hearing his commentary on it. I've only listened to one of Bahnsen's sections of his lectures series through Revelation, but it was pretty good. I listened to hear what he said about the two witnesses. But here's his lecture series through Revelation as well:

"The Book of Revelation" 63 lectures by Greg Bahnsen.

I like listening like this sometimes rather than reading all the time. :)

Yours In Christ,

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by rgrove]

Really? I thought I read somewhere that Van Til was a traditional Dutch amill. I suppose I would have expected him to prefer a futurist interpretation. It was just an assumption from vague statements, though...

he was, at least in print. Gary North did an aritcle in Tactics of Christian Resistance praising Van Til for his deadly apologetic while at the same time wondering why he didn't carry it through to a postmillennial conclusion (I think North was off, altogether). I realize that Van Til said stuff in Christianity and Common Grace that suggested an amillennial outlook. At the same time, one would have to be blind to miss his somewhat triumphal tones elsewhere. It would also be helpful to realize that the postmillennialism of Bahnsen/Gentry/Demar, while theonomic in ethical outlook, is similar to SOME amillennial interpretation in that it sees the Millennium within the Church Age.

So, when Van Til hears this outlook, as well as a very fine, finely exegeted, exposition of Revelation how can he not praise it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back