Choose LAN over wi-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Just finished installing the cabling for my LAN. I now have cat5e cabling in three rooms and it is WAY better than the wifi.

Speed on LAN cabling 25-30Mbps, no dropped connections
Speed on wi-fi 5-10Mbs, sporadic dropped connections

I think everyone should consider LAN cat5e cabling in their house and ease up on the broadband suppliers. Yes the wiring of rj45 plugs is a pain in the proverbial but it is worth the effort.

Should’ve gone Cat6 for 1GB throughout house [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished installing the cabling for my LAN. I now have cat5e cabling in three rooms and it is WAY better than the wifi.

Speed on LAN cabling 25-30Mbps, no dropped connections
Speed on wi-fi 5-10Mbs, sporadic dropped connections

I think everyone should consider LAN cat5e cabling in their house and ease up on the broadband suppliers. Yes the wiring of rj45 plugs is a pain in the proverbial but it is worth the effort.
No thanks. Not gonna party like it’s 1999.

What size house and is it a crowded spectrum with lots of neighbors? With 802.11n you should be able to hit 200 Mbps fairly easily on your wifi (dependent upon your provider of course).

Unless there were not enough boosters/repeaters, old equipment, or it's a crowded spectrum, wifi shouldn't have been inferior to your LAN connections.

Just curious. Our ISP caps us at 30 Mbps but my wireless router handles that to all parts of the (small) house easily. We also have no near neighbors.

No near neighbours and no stone walls but wifi is inferior and randomly drops connection.

We struggled to get broadband 0.5Mbs but then got fibre 30Mbs to the house. All UK providers seem to promise to the house, NOT wifi! That distinction had me make a 10 mile round trip to buy a cat5 cable before my ISP would even discuss slow speed!

Oh and yes we have a repeater at the far end of the house 15m or so from hub.

Maybe we just get inferior wifi kit?

No near neighbours and no stone walls but wifi is inferior and randomly drops connection.

We struggled to get broadband 0.5Mbs but then got fibre 30Mbs to the house. All UK providers seem to promise to the house NOT wifi! That distinction had me make a 10 mile round trip to buy a cat5 cable before my ISP would even discuss slow speed!
Ok, so you aren't talking about your own wifi router in your home then?

Of course I am - just making use of the LAN sockets in the wifi router/modem - (only got 4)
Ok, that makes no sense. Wifi in-home first of all has nothing to do with broadband providers. Second, it is not going to be noticeably slower than a Lan connection unless there is a problem with your equipment.

One of the recommendations from an ISP call handler was an aftermarket wi-fi. Kinda says it all.

One of the recommendations from an ISP call handler was an aftermarket wi-fi. Kinda says it all.
Wait, so you are using a wifi router from the ISP? That is likely your problem. Go buy one. Netgear or Linksys usually get the job done well.

I agree with Logan and David. Buy your own wireless access point and turn off the WiFi on the ISP provided router.

The Asus WiFi routers work great. You’ll want to put your ISP’s device in bridge mode first, to keep yourself from having two routers on your home network.

Still, you want/need a strong, consistent connection to a specific device, run a wire to it. I have a switch on my home office desk to drive my desk phone and work computer. That switch is plugged strait into my Asus router. Works like a charm.

We use a combination of LAN (desktops) and WiFi (laptops and phones.) The creative programs I use are pretty web intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back