"Chrismon" tree in the sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
When our Reformation day is announced, it is made explicit that children should be dressed as a Biblical character with an accompanying Bible verse.

It's always quite interesting though, as some of the folks in our congregation ignore the instruction because "they've been memebers forever", and also invite their friends and extended family. One woman who was either a friend or relative of someone in the congregation showed up as what I can only describe as a "hooker". It was bad, really bad. She was embarassed and rightfully so.

It's always quite interesting though, as some of the folks in our congregation ignore the instruction because \"they've been memebers forever\", and also invite their friends and extended family. One woman who was either a friend or relative of someone in the congregation showed up as what I can only describe as a \"hooker\". It was bad, really bad. She was embarassed and rightfully so.

You should put out a notice that the only acceptable non-Biblical characters are: lady-bug, robot, lion, and cowboy.

[video=youtube;5PqLA_SfSOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PqLA_SfSOM&feature=channel[/video]

"It's always quite interesting though, as some of the folks in our congregation ignore the instruction because "they've been memebers forever", and also invite their friends and extended family. One woman who was either a friend or relative of someone in the congregation showed up as what I can only describe as a "hooker". It was bad, really bad. She was embarassed and rightfully so. "

I had a good friend come with his daughter who wanted to be a ballerina?...When I saw her, I whispered to my friend and said, "harlot?"...she was 4.

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 01:37:09 EST-----

JennyG, do you trust wiki?

Thanks guys.
Silly me, not to have thought of that.... but since you ask, the answer is no, not an inch.
Religious idols? secular idols?
-sounds like a good answer, but I'm still mystified. Which is which, and what does "Chrismon" even MEAN?

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 01:50:11 EST-----

Wiki sheds no real light on the name, which is partly what I was interested in. As for the thing, it sounds not a lot different, except that it sounds worse on the whole. I think I'd rather stick to a bit of mindless tinsel to jolly up the church.

A Chrismon tree is decorated with things like anchors, seashells, crosses, XP symbols and the like. The ones I have seen are almost always either white or gold decorations. (Normally, they seem to be cheap styrofoam with gold glitter :rolleyes: )

Thanks guys.
Silly me, not to have thought of that.... but since you ask, the answer is no, not an inch.
Religious idols? secular idols?
-sounds like a good answer, but I'm still mystified. Which is which, and what does "Chrismon" even MEAN?

My parent's church has a chrismon tree that they put up every year and it has crosses, what they consider to be angels, statues of what they consider to be Christ, and other symbols.

The christmas tree instead has the secular idol of santa claus, reindeer, etc. etc.

From dictionary.com

chrismon
- 2 dictionary results
chris⋅mon
  /ˈkrɪzmɒn/

–noun
Chi-Rho.

the Christian monogram () made from the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ.
Also called chrismon.

Origin:
first two letters of Gk Christós Christ. See chi, rho

What's the difference between a Christmas tree and a Chrismon tree??

One has secular idols on it and the other has religious idols on it.

secular idol :: as in a non-worshipped idol?
religious idol :: Christmas trees with little golden calves?
American idol :: would these be allowed on a Weihnachtsbaum?
Billy Idol :: don't even want to think about these on my Christmas tree.

What's the difference between a Christmas tree and a Chrismon tree??

My point between differentiating between secular and religious (although it would all be religious in some way) was to distinguish between symbols that are considered religious (angels, statues of Christ) and symbols that are not considered to be religious (santa claus)

My point between differentiating between secular and religious (although it would all be religious in some way) was to distinguish between symbols that are considered religious (angels, statues of Christ) and symbols that are not considered to be religious (santa claus)

I appreciate your point, but not all symbols are idols.

I get it. Thanks.
Our church has a Christmas tree, with non-symbolic shiny things to make it pretty.
At harvest we decorate with fruit and veg, etc, for the harvest thanksgiving, and the rest of the year with flowers in season.
It's good to use beautiful things in that way.

One woman who was either a friend or relative of someone in the congregation showed up as what I can only describe as a "hooker". It was bad, really bad. She was embarassed and rightfully so.

I don't see what the problem was with that. Just pin on a piece of paper that said Joshua 1:2 All of the rules would have been satisfied.

If you have a problem with it then bring it up with the session. However, do some research on the subject first. Also, do other ARP churches have them? If they don't then bring it up. If they do, then don't mention it. Personally, I don't have a problem with it but I am not biased either and would like to give you some sound advice. We all have to admit that the Christmas season has a lot of baggage that often blurrs the centrality of it's meaning.

I have never heard of a Chrismon tree and don't foresee being interested in one at any point in the near future. I'm all for the Christmas tree in the foyer (not in the worship service so as not to distract). Oh yeah, and Easter egg hunts are fun too. My wicked little sisters just pretend to not understand that they are imitating wicked pagans by finding little plastic eggs with candy. Depravity runs so deep...

:D

Here are some things that I put on my Chrismon tree: crosses, doves, candles, onrnaments that have various names of Christ on them, lights. None of the items that go on my tree have glitter on them. They are all white or gold. Because these items are not readily available I usually have them made if I want to add a symbol to the tree.

At our church we celebrate reformation day. We do allow Biblical costumes, however, most people try to wear the clothes of the reformers, if they dress at all. There are usually a lot of monks and peasant women in attendence.

Also, do other ARP churches have them? If they don't then bring it up. If they do, then don't mention it.

Yes, there are ARP churches that do. Tim has often encountered the argument that we should do something because other churches (ARP or otherwise) do. Is this sound reasoning, or should one appeal to the Standards and/or RPW or Directory of Worship (whichever applies)?

Last edited:
Some ARP churches do it because they have seen other (non-Reformed) churches do it and/or because of some old tradition which no one can remember how it got started (but see reason #1). The RPW tends to take a back seat to tradition and popularity.

Also, do other ARP churches have them? If they don't then bring it up. If they do, then don't mention it.

Yes, there are ARP churches that do. Tim has often encountered the argument that we should do something because other churches (ARP or otherwise) do. Is this sound reasoning, or should one appeal to the Standards and/or RPW or Directory of Worship (whichever applies)?

I think my suggestion is misunderstood. My point was if the ARP doesn't allow them, then that is argument to do away with the practice. I then said if other churches allow them, then don't bring it up in the session (That is, don't bring up the fact that other ARP churches do it, but do bring the subject up to do away with the practice).

Last edited:
[
I think my suggestion is misunderstood. My point was if the ARP doesn't allow them, then that is argument to do away with the practice. I then said if other churches allow them, then don't bring it up in the session (That is, don't bring up the fact that other ARP churches do it, but do bring the subject up to do away with the practice).

Ah, I misunderstood the pronoun--I thought you were advising him to avoid the whole subject and simply put up with the tree in silence.
:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back