Christ and the Law From Ebenezer Erskine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
“We have the reason why the Lord Jehovah sustains the righteousness of the Surety in the place of the sinner, or why He is so well pleased for his righteousness sake. Why? He shall magnify the law and make it honorouble. The holy law of God, given unto man in innocency as a covenant, or an eternal rule of righteousness, was violated and broken, and the authority of the great Lawgiver affronted and contemned by man’s disobedience. But Christ, as our Surety, is ‘made of woman and made under the law;’ and, by bringing in an everlasting righteousness, He not only fulfilled the law, both in its precept and penalty, but he magnifies it and makes it honorouble; He adds a new luster and glory unto the law, which it never had before, through the dignity of His person who obeys it.” – Ebenezer Erskine, “The Law Made Honorouble”, Works Vol. I, pg. 34-35

“The law requires of every son of Adam, that he should have a nature as upright and holy as that which he received from God, the great Lawgiver, at his creation. This is absolutely impossible for us to give. But it is found in Christ; for in Him the human nature is restored unto its integrity and perfection; all believers being in Him, as their public head and representative, they are in the reckoning of the law born holy in Christ, the second Adam, even as they were created holy in the first Adam. Hence believers are said to be complete in Him. (Col 1:10). The have a complete holiness of nature in Him. And this, according to the demand of the law, is continued in Christ.” – Ebenezer Erskine, “The Law Made Honorouble”, Works Vol. I, pg. 40-41

“Although indeed He dissolves the obligation of [the law] as a covenant to all believers, so as they are neither to be justified nor condemned by it, yet He establishes it, I say, as a rule of duty even to believers, as well as others. (Matt 5:17, Rom 3:31). The law is now delivered to us in the hand of a Mediator. It has lost nothing of its original authority as coming from a God-creator, but this law of the Creator receives additional authority, as being issued to us through a God-redeemer.” – Ebenezer Erskine, “The Law Made Honorouble”, Works Vol. I, pg. 44

"Since the fall of Adam, God never entered into covenant with man himself directly and immediately. No, the Covenant of Grace is made with us in Christ, as our Surety, Head, and Representative. As the Covenant of Works was made with the first Adam, as our natural and federal head, and with us in him, so the covenant of grace is made with us in the Second Adam, as our spiritual Head, and the condition of the covenant was fulfilled by Him." – Ebenezer Erskine, “The Law Made Honorouble”, Works Vol. I, pg. 49

The Whole Works of the Rev. Ebenezer Erskine: Consisting of Sermons and ... - Ebenezer Erskine - Google Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back