Christ crucified for our entertainment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I just came back from Branson, Mo which is like a smaller version of Nashville. They have an ongoing play about the crucifixion of Christ called the "Promise." In light of what I now know of the 2nd commandment and images it got me wondering. Besides the fact of the image, (which is obvious), how about people watching Christ crucified as entertainment? Is that what this is, and is this wrong, or can this be used as an evangelistic tool? I don't think that is the intention behind the play though...

I was outraged several years ago when I attended a "conservative" Southern Baptist church on Easter Sunday morning to find that they had replaced the preaching of the word with the equivalent of dinner and a movie. There was no sermon. Instead they showed a snippet of the "Jesus" film or something similar and then had the Lord's Supper, with little or any fencing. Then the preacher gave the altar call and I got up and left. The sad part is that the pastor is a gifted preacher but evidently felt they had to do something "special" with all of the once or twice a year attenders that would be there.

The sad part is that the pastor is a gifted preacher but evidently felt they had to do something "special" with all of the once or twice a year attenders that would be there.

It would have been special if he had simply preached the Gospel.

Looking back, I'm heartbroken and disgusted over the dramas held in my former SBC church, wherein different men at different times would parade shirtless, baring most of their body and legs, dressed up like a beaten and tattered man, then "hang" upon a cross. :barfy: Even worse (if that's possible), these same men would be posed as the Exalted Lord in judgment wearing a robe of white, welcoming believers to "heaven." What arrogance to think we could ever play Christ's part. :( God grant the Church repentance of her flippancy toward His Law. :pray2:

That is incredible, Josh. I have to admit that I've heard of such things happening in SBC churches, although I know of none personally. Yes, I would be heartbroken and disgusted too. It may not count for much but know that I will never allow such things to happen in the church that I pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back