Christ in the OT book advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

Looking for 1 or 2 suggestions concerning Christ in the OT. It could be strictly about the theophanies, or also about the OT prophetic references to Christ.

I know the subject is wide, sorry. So far I'm looking at:

*Christ from Beginning to End: How the Full Story of Scripture Reveals the Full Glory of Christ by Trent Hunter, Stephen Wellum

*Jesus On Every Page by David Murray

*Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament by Michael P V Barrett

*The Unfolding Mystery, Second Edition: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament by Edmund P. Clowney

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
My bias shows, but I would go with Barrett's book to begin your journey. He writes similarly to Dale Ralph Davis, who is a delight to read.

https://www.heritagebooks.org/produ...ding-Christ-in-the-old-testament-barrett.html

You could add Dennis Johnson's "Him we Proclaim" and Sidney Greidanus' "Preaching Christ from the Old Testament" for a more preaching-oriented focus, but which would still be useful for lay people. For a brief and simple introduction, my little booklet "Is Jesus in the Old Testament?" and for the principle in practice, the P&R series "The Gospel According to the Old Testament"

Fairbairn's "Typology of Scripture". It's an exhaustive read, but nothing says you cannot prioritize the portions that most captivate your interest.

Some Options:

The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses - Vern Poythress
The Christ of the Covenants - O. Palmer Robertson
The Christ of the Prophets - O. Palmer Robertson
The Mystery of Christ - Samuel Renihan (Reformed Baptist/1689 Federalist take on Covenant Theology)

Also, if you read in some Systematic Theologies about the threefold office of Christ's mediatorship (prophet, priest, and king), good ones will obviously show how all those OT institutions foreshadow Jesus. Beeke has about 300 pages devoted to Christ's work and his threefold office in vol. 2 of Reformed Systematic Theology. That might be my top recommendation to start with.

Pastor JJ Lim in Singapore has some outstanding commentaries on the Psalms called "The Songs of Christ."

Looking for 1 or 2 suggestions concerning Christ in the OT. It could be strictly about the theophanies, or also about the OT prophetic references to Christ.

I know the subject is wide, sorry. So far I'm looking at:

Jude 1:5-7 ESV​
Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day— just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
~~~~~~~​

Hi Chris,

The question I have is kind of the reverse. Where isn't Christ in the Old Testament? I have come to think that the party the most absent from the Old Testament is God the Father. I believe that in the beginning, rather, before the beginning, the Father put the whole work of Creation in the hands of his Son, who is Himself, God. It was Jesus the Mighty God that delivered Israel from Egypt, then later destroyed those that did not believe (or, as the word may mean, obey). God the Son is the one who thundered from the mount as he gave the law. It was Jesus who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, and Jesus who spoke those harshest of words to Job in chapters 38-41. I could go on and on.

But I do have a concern about what I just said. Although I see this clearly taught in the Bible, when I posted my thoughts a month and a half ago, I got zero response. Nada. So as convinced as I am personally, I understand that I have no right to a private interpretation of the Scriptures. So I offer you a link to that post for your consideration. And please, to you and others I make the request that I be shown where I have gone wrong and what I have come to think is right.

Thanks

Who Created the Heavens and the Earth, the Angels and All Things that Exist?​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back