Christ is all and does all

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (The Best Match or the Incomparable Marriage...), Sermons 1:112-113:

Christ is all, and does all in this matter; and our part is done by him in us, Hos. 2:19, 20. “I will betrothe thee unto me for ever: yea, I will betrothe thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in loving-kindness, and in mercies; I will even betrothe thee unto me in faithfulness, and thou shalt know the Lord.” Christ signs the contract for him and her both. “I will betrothe thee unto me in righteousness;” I will fulfil the law, and satisfy God’s justice. “I will betrothe thee unto me in loving-kindness:” though there be nothing in thee to invite my love, but much to challenge my aversion, yet I will overcome all thy imperfections, and set my love upon thee. “I will betrothe thee unto me in mercies;” in pardoning mercy, sanctifying mercy, supporting mercy, comforting mercy. But lest the bride think, that whenever she sins there may be a divorce, she may break and go away, therefore it follows, “I will betrothe thee unto me in faithfulness.” He pledges his veracity for fulfilling the articles on her part and his both.

The analogy of marriage, where the husband (or parents) chooses a bride, is the best to describe how Our Lord works faithfully. Along with us being adopted into the family. I never tier of either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back