Christ is born, is circumcised, dies, rises again for us every day in the preaching of the gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mention of the word, "circumcised" seems to be a weird inclusion. Why do you think that was added? Is it because that was the first time his blood was shed? Or did the Catholics have a festival that the author was protesting in particular?

The pretended holy days mainly follow the events of Christ's life; birth, death, day of his circumcision, etc.
The mention of the word, "circumcised" seems to be a weird inclusion. Why do you think that was added? Is it because that was the first time his blood was shed? Or did the Catholics have a festival that the author was protesting in particular?

The pretended holy days mainly follow the events of Christ's life; birth, death, day of his circumcision, etc.

Ok. That makes sense. I am reading the strangest book right now about the medieval veneration for the supposed foreskin of Jesus (the only flesh from Jesus still on earth, though some medieval Catholics hypothesized that it, also, ascended into heaven and even became the rings of Saturn). They held ceremonies and processions of the holy foreskin around the streets and many churches were named the Church of the Holy Foreskin. Since Jesus shed his blood for mankind's sin, some medieval scholars said that such shedding of blood began here at his circumcision. If I were a Protestant of that age I would certainly write against the strange weirdness of how Catholicism led to such weird processions and festivals as this.

That is the reason I asked. Because of the weird book I am reading now.
An Irreverent Curiosity: In Search of the Church's Strangest Relic in Italy's Oddest Town:

I would link it here but it has a picture of a baby on the cover (I guess who is supposed to be baby Jesus).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back