Christ Is the Christian's Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
One of the commentators on Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress has this little gem:

Christ himself is the Christian's armoury. When he puts on Christ, he is then completely armed from head to foot. Are his loins girt about with truth? Christ is the truth. Has he on the breastplate of righteousness? Christ is our righteousness. Are his feet shod with the gospel of peace? Christ is our peace. Does he take the shield of faith, and helmet of salvation? Christ is that shield, and all our salvation. Does he take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God? Christ is the Word of God. Thus he puts on the Lord Jesus Christ; by his Spirit fights the fight of faith; and, in spite of men, of devils, and of his own evil heart, lays hold of eternal life. Thus Christ is all in all (The Works of John Bunyan, volume 3, p. 110).​

Nice quote; it neatly summarizes the thrust of my new book on the Christian Armor, coming out this summer from Crossway (shameless plug!), in which I'll be exploring the OT roots of all of Paul's imagery in Ephesians 6. The short version is that the armor of God in Ephesians 6 is literally God's armor, which God wears first for us.

Nice quote; it neatly summarizes the thrust of my new book on the Christian Armor, coming out this summer from Crossway (shameless plug!), in which I'll be exploring the OT roots of all of Paul's imagery in Ephesians 6. The short version is that the armor of God in Ephesians 6 is literally God's armor, which God wears first for us.

I'm sure you'll be expanding on Gurnall's brief survey of the topic, right? ;)

Plug away! I'll be delighted to see this! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back