Christ present by his spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack K

Puritan Board Doctor
I need help making sure my understanding and language is correct. I need to teach on the presence of Christ with believers today. Now, I understand that the two natures mean there is a sense in which Christ is present and a sense in which he is not. According to his human nature, which can only be in one place at one time, Christ is away from us in heaven. But according to his divine nature, his spirit is everywhere including with us. Indeed he said, "I am with you always" even as he was leaving.

But here's where it gets tricky. Christ (the second Person) is with us by his spirit. How does that differ from the Holy Spirit (the third Person) being with us? Are these the same thing? Or are they completely separate realities? How do they connect?

So, how do Reformed theologians explain the difference/sameness of Christ's presence by his spirit and the Holy Spirit's presence?

The Holy Spirit is with us as the other comforter - the one who joins us to Christ and makes his benefits flow to us. On the basis of 2 Corinthians 3:17 I would say that there is no ultimate distinction between the Holy Spirit's presence with us and Christ's. Thus to have the Spirit is to have Christ (Romans 8:9), because in the Lord's economic departure he sent his Spirit to maintain his perpetual presence.

God is metaphysically present everywhere. But his favorable presence is mediated. Christ acquired that favorable presence for sinners, and the Holy Spirit produces it for each believer.

Jack, I think Ruben's thoughts are sound, as per the two verses he quoted. Also, in John 16:14, 15, Jesus says of the Holy Spirit, "he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you." The Spirit brings / reveals the presence of Christ to our hearts.

About the two natures of Jesus Christ, the human and the divine: the Scripture usually does not separate them, seeing as Jesus is one Person. Thus when in Acts 20:28 the sacrificial death of the human nature of Jesus is spoken of, it is written, "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." What is accomplished by one nature is spoken of as pertaining to the divine nature—simply because the God-man is one Person. A book that is really good on this, both simple and profound, is Stuart Olyott's, Jesus Is Both Man and God (an old edition of this book was titled, Son of Mary Son of God).

We do not distinguish the Lord's presence, separating His human and divine natures: I live in the presence of the Lord, for He has said, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee (Heb 13:5) and "I am with thee always, even unto the end of the world" (Matt 28:20). We know He is seated on the throne of mercy and power with His Father (Rev 3:21) in the heavens, and yet He is present with us by His Spirit. His Person is present, for the Holy Spirit brings His presence to us, while the Person of Christ is on the throne. Our God is so great that He is able to be present with each of His beloved people at the same moment, yet according to our individual needs and hearts. After all, He is the One who flung out the billions of galaxies, and knows the names of all the stars in the universe: "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite" (Psalm 147:4, 5).

Yes, Jesus the person is with us. Good to be reminded not to make it sound like he isn't. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back