Christian audio books (e.g. Christian Librivox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
There are a lot of Christian books and commentaries which must be out of copyright. Has anyone attempted to produce audiobooks in a way similar to Librivox. I really enjoy the sci-fi books at Librivox but I would love to find a similar project on Christian commentaries.

Not so much a "project" but, for personal use, I convert ePubs to audiofiles using Balabolka. You have to grow accustomed to robotic voices.

I just finished listening to two books that way.

I use the native text to speech of Siri in my ipad to read from my Logos books. (and anything else)
Again, Its about getting used to the robotic nature of the speech.

Its funny, if the book launches into Italian or Latin or French ect, then Siri (female)
will change into a robust male Italian or different female Latin depending on who's reading it.

Makes me laugh everytime, as it just comes out of nowhere,,,

I don't think there is any such thing. I understand LibriVox is sparse when it comes to Christian titles, but why would we segregate them from the overall project? It does have a limited selection of Luther, Calvin, and Augustine titles, for example. I hope the selection expands.

Rich and John, how do you recommend getting used to robotic voices? Is it just a matter of continuing to listen until you get acclimated?

Rich and John, how do you recommend getting used to robotic voices? Is it just a matter of continuing to listen until you get acclimated?

On Siri you can slow down the speed which can make it a bit easier to comprehend.
But it is challenging to listen too at first, you have to get used to the foilbles.
The good thing is that Siri is consistent in her errors, (you get to know them)

The other program that Rich mentioned may work better than Siri. (I haven't used it)

I use the native text to speech of Siri in my ipad to read from my Logos books. (and anything else)

Its funny, if the book launches into Italian or Latin or French ect, then Siri (female)
will change into a robust male Italian or different female Latin depending on who's reading it.

Can you describe your steps to read Logos books with Siri? I've seen that Siri can read what's on the page but walk me through the steps so it does continuous reading...

I don't know how I got used to it other than doing it. My process is a little involved and technical at times. Sometimes I'm able to convert whole books to ePub using Calibre and then I can drop them in to Balabolka. I have some SAPI 5 voices that read pretty clearly. Balabolka lets you choose the reading rate and then let you split the file up into chunks so you can break up the book into separate files.

With Logos I have to copy no more than 100 pages at a time (tedious for large works).

Hello Eoghan,

I don't know if you have come across an excellent audio book on Archive.com "The Mortification of Sin in Believers" by John Owen. Read by Stephen Escalera. I also downloaded a PDF of the text but I can't remember where I got that from. Your signature says that holiness and practical theology is amongst your main concerns. I would say that there are few book on the subject of practical holiness that a more helpful and practical as this one. It is in old language, so it's a bit hard to understand, but I read the PDF as I follow the audio. Here is the link. https://archive.org/details/mortification_of_sin_librivox If anyone would like the PDF and you can't find it anywhere let me know and I'll send it to you in an email.

Can you describe your steps to read Logos books with Siri? I've seen that Siri can read what's on the page but walk me through the steps so it does continuous reading...

I am using the "logos bible app" on the ipad air 64 gig. This is a dumbed down version of the full logos.
I have imported most of my library into it (around 25 gig I think) I swipe from the sides with two fingers bringing up siri
(and a little rabbit for speed) and siri will read that page and automatically turn the next page

(however it repeats the last line of the text when it does this.)

Below is how to enable siri text to speech on an ipad.
It took a little while to figure out and sometimes you have to shut it down and restart as it gets bugs.

http://jonathanwylie.com/2015/10/03/text-to-speech-ipad/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back