christian bands of the 70's and 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigheavyq

Puritan Board Freshman
christian bands of the 70\'s and 80\'s

anyone remember listening to some of these bands?

ressurection band
sweet comfort
undercover
allies
imperials
silverwind
stryper
degarmo and key

[Edited on 4-30-2006 by bigheavyq]

Bride
Saint
Kerry Livgren and AD
The Choir
David Zaffiro
Craig Smith
2nd Chapter of Acts
Keith Green
Mastedon
Barren Cross

I was a true Petra fan. Collected quite a few of their albums.

Way too many of these bands were (still are) just knock-off of some popular secular band. How many of them were just the "Christian version" of Poison, or motley crue, or whomever?!? Sheesh, some of the bands were just garbage. "Buy us! We sound like Rush! Only with religious lyrics!"

Others I liked (bought more than once):
Greg Volz (after Petra)
Whiteheart
Whitecross
Allies/Bob Carlisle
Idle Cure
Wayne Watson

Only bought once (some just embarrasing):
X-sinner (ACDC knock off)
Bloodgood
DeGarmo & Key
etc.

Then my tastes started changing; and more and more I drifted away from rock. I tried to broaden my taste with some female vocalists but never found any I really liked. I liked the 2nd Chapter of Acts, especially the hymn albums. I liked the mature Steve Green, especially when he's theological. For a while I liked 4 Him. I like multiple singers, good harmonies, acapella (Glad). But content wins out in the end.

My all time favorite:
Judy Rogers. she rocks NOT.

Petra started at the Adams Apple in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where my wife was going when I first met her.

(Nancy) Honeytree started there, too.

Not sure if Phil Keaggy started there, but I remember him as well.

Takes me back a few years.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
Way too many of these bands were (still are) just knock-off of some popular secular band. How many of them were just the "Christian version" of Poison, or motley crue, or whomever?!? Sheesh, some of the bands were just garbage. "Buy us! We sound like Rush! Only with religious lyrics!"
:lol:

Rush was (is) such a musically talented group as an aside.

It is sad how we were so culturally starved that somebody could just change a few lyrics, call themselves Christian Rock, and we just ate it up.

I really liked Petra's stuff but I was a huge Keith Green and Michael Card fan.

i always liked...

undercover
the altar boys
steve taylor
daniel amos
adam again
the choir
the crucified
breakfast with amy
steve scott
the lifesavers
l.s.u.
mike knott
mark heard
the 77s
mad at the world
lust control

as you can see, i was into the more alternative side of christian rock...

not to get off topic, but does anyone know any bands that are in the reformed camp?

i've heard that the following bands are reformed...

starflyer59
plankeye
the o.c. supertones

anyone know of any more?

My favorites were:

Imperials
Petra
2nd Chapter of Acts
Larry Norman
Don Francisco
Phil Keaggy
Honeytree

King's X, in Out of the Silent Planet through Faith Hope Love wrote explicitly Christian music. Sadly, only one of the three members still claims Christ, and that very privately now. Still, a great rock band. Two of the guys toured in Petra way back in the day, and Ty Tabor played with Phil Keagy.

Galactic Cowboys were 90's but had that same sort of undercover Christianity as King's X.

Now as for Rush, they don't deserve to be dragged around in a discussion of bands like Stryper and Poison. Shame, shame, shame! If only there were Christian artists who developed their playing ability or honed their songwriting skills as well as these guys have over the years. :cool:

Scaterd Few
Dead Artist Syndrome (first album)
Saviour Machine
The Crucified
The Choir
Tourniquet (first few albums)
Deliverance (first album only)
Daniel Amos
Kings X (first four)
Trouble (they were once considered Christian)

Originally posted by dust_and_ashes
i've heard that the following bands are reformed...

starflyer59
plankeye
the o.c. supertones

anyone know of any more?
I'm positive some, if not all, the Supertones are Reformed...postmil, presup to boot.

here's a question from an interview with jason martin, chief songwriter/vocalist/guitarist/etc for starflyer59...

"37. In Hagerstown, MD you mentioned to me that you like R.C. Sproul, is this still the case? Do you embrace reformed Christianity? Have you read N.T. Wright's The Challenge of Jesus?

JM - RC is one of my favorite teachers, and yes, I consider myself a reformed Christian. I have not read the book you mentioned, but I will check it out."

the interview can be read in it's entirety at http://www.velvetbluemusic.com/interviews_jm.html

i'm not familiar with nt wright...

back to the 70's and 80's...

i still listen to daniel amos... my favorite album of theirs was 'darn floor, big bite' (1987)... it's also quite amazing how good their old stuff still sounds... "horrendous disc" for example...

another band from the 80's i liked was "the holidays"... sort of glam/post punk along the lines of the replacements or something...

there was also a brilliant band called "the swoon" out on narrowpath records... they only released one cd (which was actually two ep's combined) and it is beautiful...

something that irks me about a lot of the old 80's bands is the blatant bad theology... take the altar boys for example... on their first album they have a song called "you found me" which basically portrays a monergistic approach to salvation... then later on the same album they have "it's up to you" which depicts a synergistic view of salvation...

does bad theology in music make it untolerable to you? or does it not matter as long as it's catchy and has a good beat?

Scaterd Few
Dead Artist Syndrome (first album)
Saviour Machine
The Crucified
The Choir
Tourniquet (first few albums)
Deliverance (first album only)
Daniel Amos
Kings X (first four)
Trouble (they were once considered Christian)

Yeah, Deliverance & Tourniquet are pretty awesome. What about Sacrament? Were they "christian"?

You just can't beat Stryper....

"Speak of the devil, he's no friend of mine
To turn from him is what we've got in mind
Just a liar and a thief, the word tells us so
We'd like to let him now were he can go
To hell with the devil" :sing: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, they were pretty good musicians. Just way too cheesy. The lyrics were lame but they had some pretty good guitar harmonies. Too bad they looked like bumblebees.

something that irks me about a lot of the old 80's bands is the blatant bad theology

Have you ever heard the Stryper song "Free"?

"You're free, free to do what you want to, CHOOSE YOUR OWN DESTINY....." :barfy:

Believer -extraction from mortality and sanity obscure albums -I can still hear Kurt Bachman,s vocal influence on newer bands like extol.
Galactic Cowboys-King's X discovered band. Had them King's Xish vocal harmonies. A good first album.
One bad Pig-not graded on musicianship just plain fun punk and roll
Mad at the World- I liked the Choir and 77's but this had a more artsy flavor.
Vengeance later to become vengeance rising
I'm a big King's X fan up to the Dogman album then they just lost something
There was a glam rock band called Rage of Angels that had that L.A sound at the time. That put out a great album but then became the secular band
steelheart

oh and kiddies if you like ac/dc you'll love X-sinner
if you like Iron Maiden you'll love Barren Cross
I miss those old cheesy Christian rock ads....

saw you mentioned "vengeance rising"... i used to love those guys (well, the first three albums at least)... did you hear about what their singer roger martinez is up to these days? apparently he has renounced Christ and is now proud to be a blasphemer... do an internet search on "roger martinez" and "vengeance rising"... WARNING: the sites are very blasphemous... i AM NOT recommending them!! roger needs our prayers... i'll bet bad theology had something to do with this...

i still listen to mad at the world... they kind of wimped out with "ferris wheel", but i forgive them...

Believer -extraction from mortality and sanity obscure albums -I can still hear Kurt Bachman,s vocal influence on newer bands like extol.

Those guys are awesome. Believer is getting back together to put out a new album the last I heard. You didn't mention the "Dimensions" album. Have you heard it? It's excellent. It was their last release.

I've met and talked with the lady (Julianne Laird) that sang soprano on the dimensions album and also the one song (can't remember the name) on Sanity Obscure. She gave me her latest cd. It's folky acoustic music with her playing guitar and singing. Her brother is the one who arranged the strings and plays violin and vilolas on the albums. Their mother is a school teacher at a school in our district.

Believer is definately one of the most talented christian metal bands.

http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/beli.htm

When I was a young Christian, the first couple of bands I was introduced to were "hair" bands (you know, the "big hair" of the 80's).

I listened to Stryper faithfully.

Soldiers Under Command...

stryper777.jpg

I have to admit, though, I am still somewhat of a Petra fan on certain songs.

Underneath the Blood (with a Reformed Twist).

B00000282A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by C. Matthew McMahon]

Those chicks are babes Matthew! They must be foreign with all the body hair. lol
Scot, I did the websearch for vengeance like you recommended and I can't believe it. HE's not just backslidden but blasphemous. I can't wait to hear Believers new album. That is so cool you met the lady who sang dies irae (day of wrath)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back