Christian Classics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFG33

Inactive User
I am looking for a clear concise Christian classic reading list of at least 100 books. I am struggling to find anything like that, so I was helping you guys could help. Thanks.

That's going to be a tough one. I think any list will reflect the individuals taste That said, any list should contain at least Machen' s Christianity and Liberalism, Turretin's Institutes of Eclenctic Theology (because both Liberalism and Molinism are alive and well), and Tozer's The Pursuit of God.

Elenctic is the word. It means Socratic. Turretin interacts with various viewpoints on each doctrine, thus using a Socratic, or elenctic, method.

That's what I get for typing on my phone.....I should know better by now......

Perhaps you would have more responses if your definition of "concise" did not include the phrase "at least 100." :)

I'll give you five. Because you ask on this forum, I'll assume you have in mind fairly scholarly works that are at least Reformed-friendly and in the Western tradition. By classics, I assume you also have in mind works of broad appeal that are seen today as having enduring value. My five picks are:

Augustine, Confessions
Calvin, Institutes
Bunyan, The Pilgrim's Progress
Edwards, Religious Affections
Lewis, Mere Christianity

These are not necessarily the five best Christian books ever written, but they seem to me to best fit my definition of a classic. It feels wrong to leave Luther out, but I can't identify one particular work of his that individually beats out any of those on the list. And Lewis feels too new, but the broad appeal he has in the English-speaking church cannot be overlooked.

I am not asking anyone to post 100 that'd be asking a bit much. Thank you for your input.
PS: Jack I have read your book Show Them Jesus for school. It was great and I have applied to my teaching in children's church at my church. Thank you for writing it.

Anything by Reverend D.Martyn Lloyd Jones. His 'Studies In The Sermon On The Mount' is a collection of sermons that are very edifying, and especially instructive, as all his sermons are. It is much shorter than the Romans or Ephesians series as well.
A.W. Pink's 'Life Of David' is a favorite, also edifying and instructive. Anything by Charles Haddon Spurgeon. His sermons, Treasury of David (on the Psalms) I assume that this is the type of reading material you mean by 'classic.'

You've received some great recommendations. Especially recommended are Augustine, Calvin, Bunyan, and Turretin.

I'll add the following:

Last edited:
AW Pink's The Sovereignty of God
Holiness - JC Ryle
Thoughts for Young Men - JC Ryle
Knowing God - Packer
The Holiness of God - Sproul
Chosen by God - Sproul
Bondage of the Will - Luther
Freedom of the Will - Edwards
The Early Church - Chadwick
The Confessions - Augustine
The City of God - Augustine
Pilgrim's Progress - Bunyan
The Bruised Reed - Sibbes
The Mortification of Sin - Owen
The Death of Death in the Death of Christ - Owen

The collected Works of Jonathan Edwards, John Flavel, Richard Sibbes, and Thomas Brooks.

Jeremiah Burroughs, Thomas Watson, and J.C. Ryle -- anything you can get by these men.

Basically, just download puritanlibrary.org and start reading. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back