Christian entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKarrer

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm perplexed by how many "conservative" Christians seem to lose their minds when it comes to movies and television. When I read the Puritans, and the Bible, I hear prohibitions against partaking in worldly, Christ-belittling "entertainment"; and yet I know lots of people who read solid, Reformed work, and go to conservative churches, and yet indulge their flesh in movies that blaspheme, promote all types of sin, mock true religion, and ignore God.

If you're someone who doesnt think watching movies that propagate sin and ignore the Scriptures is wrong, please help me to understand how it is you believe it ok to join the world in such things?

Don't the commands to keep oneself unspotted in the world, come out from among the world and being separate, and avoid even the appearance of evil- don't these commands prohibit engaging in this type of worldly entertainment? And doesn't the holiness of God show us that He does not take such matters to be insignificant?

If you agree with me on this, have you likewise encountered people who read and enjoy the puritans, and yet behave as examples of Christ in just about every area of their life besides tv and movies?

Thomas,

Let me say in the first place that I have much sympathy with what you have expressed and you will find many on this board who would agree.

With that said I find that as both a Christian member of a "conservative Reformed Baptist" church as well as an elder in that church that my list of what is conducive to sanctification and what is not so conducive varies to greater and lesser degrees among like-minded confessional brethren.

There is ever the danger to, on the one hand, be slowly seduced by the world and, on the other hand lapse into a written list of what all should see as approved; i.e. legalism.

Finding the balance for oneself and figuring out how, and how much, to tolerate in others is no small attainment.

Romans 14: 22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

I think the reason a lot of Christian, even Reformed and even more, Puritan minded folks, partake in the worldly or secular entertainment is the desensitization. Many people have just gotten too used to seeing violence, bad language, etc on t.v., the movies, and so on that it doesn't jump out as it should. Also, people tend to compartmentalize things. So when they are in a religious context they will have a different attitude as opposed to when they are at the movies watching something that they probably shouldn't. In other words, devotional truths stay at devotion time, truths learned in church don't always go out the door with us, and so when these Christians get out into the world they act like the others around them instead of being different.
Just my two cents.

Pastor Bob,

Thank you for your reply. My greatest concern isn't even just a matter of what is and isn't conducive to sanctification, but what is honoring to God. Furthermore, wouldn't it follow that those things which are of themselves evil, and forbidden in Scripture to partake of, would universally be forbidden to draw entertainment from? And if so, then whether a person is convicted by their engagement in this thing or not makes no difference; the standard of God stands.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't legalism the subjection of a man under some law, in order to secure right standing before God? Doesnt it have to do with submitting to law for the purpose of being seen as righteous before God? Even if this isnt a sound definition though, it still stands that what God lists as sin is sin. If cussing, or perverse talk, is sin in God's eyes, then certainly it is likewise sin for a saint to soak in such things, and all in the name of entertainment.

I do know there are various things which we cannot say are evil of themselves, but surely movies and tv that blaspheme God and promote sin arent among those things.

There is certainly a danger that by repeatedly exposing ourselves to and getting joy out of portrayals of sin, we slowly numb ourselves to sin. Thanks for the reminder.

What a coincidence...the "Second Day Evening - Bounty" from the Valley of Vision that I read tonight has a line that goes:
"Let us live out of the world as to its spirit, maxim, manners,
but live in it as the sphere of our action and usefulness."
I thought that was appropriate to add with the theme of the thread.

Pastor Bob,

Thank you for your reply. My greatest concern isn't even just a matter of what is and isn't conducive to sanctification, but what is honoring to God. Furthermore, wouldn't it follow that those things which are of themselves evil, and forbidden in Scripture to partake of, would universally be forbidden to draw entertainment from? And if so, then whether a person is convicted by their engagement in this thing or not makes no difference; the standard of God stands.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't legalism the subjection of a man under some law, in order to secure right standing before God? Doesnt it have to do with submitting to law for the purpose of being seen as righteous before God? Even if this isnt a sound definition though, it still stands that what God lists as sin is sin. If cussing, or perverse talk, is sin in God's eyes, then certainly it is likewise sin for a saint to soak in such things, and all in the name of entertainment.

I do know there are various things which we cannot say are evil of themselves, but surely movies and tv that blaspheme God and promote sin arent among those things.

Thomas, there is something in us that longs for a simplicity and unity in these matters that our Lord in His wisdom has not required.

Romans 14:4-5 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

1 Corinthians 8:7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
“Furthermore, wouldn't it follow that those things which are of themselves evil, and forbidden in Scripture to partake of, would universally be forbidden to draw entertainment from?”

Murder is in and of itself evil and yet we read biographies of faithful saints and martyrs in which murders are recounted unto our edification.

“Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't legalism the subjection of a man under some law, in order to secure right standing before God?”

One can seek not only justification by legalism but also sanctification by the same means and they are both wrong. If I construct for myself, or have someone provide me with an extensive list of dos and don’ts whereby I will, in the compliance of them seek to establish and maintain my holiness then I have departed from the Scriptures.

“If cussing, or perverse talk, is sin in God's eyes, then certainly it is likewise sin for a saint to soak in such things, and all in the name of entertainment.”

Whether or not the inclusion of perverse language in a book or movie is ever, or always wise is open to vigorous debate. I would undoubtedly find myself on the opposite end of some of my beloved brethren but would seek to allow him his own conscience and judgment before God.

Again I have much sympathy with your assessments and would be less troubled if more of my brethren saw these matters differently than they do. But I must give my brother the space for heart dealings with God that He has granted them.

Last edited:
Two points:

Point #1. As several here have said, the New Testament makes this a matter of a believer's conscience and his heart. Take movies, for example. I need to avoid movies with nudity because my heart always enjoys it in a lustful way. But I never enjoy violence on screen simply for the violence. So I give myself more freedom with those movies.

I have a friend who’s the opposite. Nudity doesn’t make him lust (he claims). But he wanted to go to the latest zombie movie because he gets a kick out of seeing characters killed in increasingly gruesome ways. If that were me, I’d have to be careful of movies depicting violence, even if the violence wasn’t gratuitous.

Point #2. We need to recognize the difference between movies that glory in sin—like that zombie flick or gratuitous sex comedies—and those that depict sin but deal with it seriously. Christians have rightly been accused of making boring and irrelevant “Christian movies” because we have, in many cases, over sanitized them. You can’t have a redemptive film if it doesn’t first have something poignant to say about sin and brokenness.

To be careless about what we watch and how it affects our hearts is a mistake. But it’s also unwise to have a knee-jerk reaction against every depiction of sin. We end up looking both shallow and judgmental, and maybe we are.

I think the reason a lot of Christian, even Reformed and even more, Puritan minded folks, partake in the worldly or secular entertainment is the desensitization. Many people have just gotten too used to seeing violence, bad language, etc on t.v., the movies, and so on that it doesn't jump out as it should. Also, people tend to compartmentalize things. So when they are in a religious context they will have a different attitude as opposed to when they are at the movies watching something that they probably shouldn't. In other words, devotional truths stay at devotion time, truths learned in church don't always go out the door with us, and so when these Christians get out into the world they act like the others around them instead of being different.
Just my two cents.

exactly... plus I must say atleast when it comes to Films, "christian" movies often come very low budget and are just plain bad,

one of my favorite authors is Christian Fictional writer Ted Dekker. i Love his books. but when it comes to his books being made into movies the quality suffers

I also think some of your christian Comedians are pretty cheesy and dry. *though there are some excellent ones*

why is this? its because the world hates Christianity so it doesnt budget it when it comes to films or entertainment

Pastor Bob,
With all due respect Sir, I don't think those passages are referring to the enjoyment of things that glorify sin. The food offered to idols, as Paul tells us, is clean of itself, for food is from God, and idols don't really exist. I do believe there are matters to be left to conscience, but that these matters cannot be evil of themselves. Another example would be alcohol. I enjoy alcohol on occassion; but since I am aware it may cause another to stumble, I do all that is in my power to not allow my liberty to offend a weaker brother.

Movies that glorify sin are much different. Such movies are nothing like watching gross violence depicted in a martyr film. We are exposing ourselves, if we choose, to see that type of violence to strengthen our faith, glory in the wonder of the Cross' power to embolden, wonder at the sinfulness of those who persecute, etc. When we watch gross violence in a film that is violent simply for the sake of being violent- no reference to God's glory in the film, whether in word or principle- we are entertaining ourselves with the devils' joys. Movies that drag the name of God in the mud seem the most inexcusable. Can we really justify listening to people blaspheme God in that way, when our reason for doing so is entertainment?

I agree that I cannot simply condemn someone for this, or deal with it in a harsh manner that might betray unwillingness to be broken over my own sin, but I firmly believe a Pastor, as many Puritans, and George Whitfield, and Jonathan Edwards did, ought to preach against these types of entertainment, in a way that exalts the Gospel and not legalism.

And I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that legalism, in reference to sanctification, would still be the idea that we can make or keep ourselves right before God through obedience to law. I believe we ought to abide by the lawof Christ, but I do not think my weaknesses and failures make me less justified before God.

I've been feeling guilty all morning about watching a "comedy" movie last night with my wife that I am convinced that God hates. It was depraved and full of sin, yet it was supposed to be a romantic comedy. I wish I had shut it off instead of watching the whole thing. Some of the situations in the movie were sort of funny and I did want the couple to get married etc...so I kept watching it. I have a problem with entertainment. I never know where the line is, or am fully aware and just in a light mood and pop in a movie from blockbuster or on cable and then I cross it and feel guilty about it later. This one had cursing, nudity, flagrant promotion of sinful lifestyles, and drug use all wrapped up in a neat little romantic comedy package.

:doh:

Thanks for posting that. I think that article hit the nail on the head when it said the true substance of worldliness lay in our affections and desires. But this is obviously the problem: people are exposing themselves to movies that glorify sin, and most certainly because their hearts are inclined to, and yet because their is no command that states one cannot watch movies that blaspheme God's name, etc., they believe it's simply a matter of conscience.

He also wisely states we cannot replace Gospel-centered thinking and living with legalism. And to that I say, 'Amen.' With the Gospel central, and that God be glorified, it seems reasonable and clear that Christians shouldn't join the world in watching filth that mocks the holiness of God, for the sake of entertainment.

For anyone who hasn't read it:
A book I read just under 2 years ago, which really convicted me and exalted Christ- with regards to some of the issues we are talking about- is "The Great Gain of Godliness", by Thomas Watson.

Pastor Bob,
With all due respect Sir, I don't think those passages are referring to the enjoyment of things that glorify sin. The food offered to idols, as Paul tells us, is clean of itself, for food is from God, and idols don't really exist. I do believe there are matters to be left to conscience, but that these matters cannot be evil of themselves. Another example would be alcohol. I enjoy alcohol on occassion; but since I am aware it may cause another to stumble, I do all that is in my power to not allow my liberty to offend a weaker brother.

Movies that glorify sin are much different. Such movies are nothing like watching gross violence depicted in a martyr film. We are exposing ourselves, if we choose, to see that type of violence to strengthen our faith, glory in the wonder of the Cross' power to embolden, wonder at the sinfulness of those who persecute, etc. When we watch gross violence in a film that is violent simply for the sake of being violent- no reference to God's glory in the film, whether in word or principle- we are entertaining ourselves with the devils' joys. Movies that drag the name of God in the mud seem the most inexcusable. Can we really justify listening to people blaspheme God in that way, when our reason for doing so is entertainment?

I agree that I cannot simply condemn someone for this, or deal with it in a harsh manner that might betray unwillingness to be broken over my own sin, but I firmly believe a Pastor, as many Puritans, and George Whitfield, and Jonathan Edwards did, ought to preach against these types of entertainment, in a way that exalts the Gospel and not legalism.

And I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that legalism, in reference to sanctification, would still be the idea that we can make or keep ourselves right before God through obedience to law. I believe we ought to abide by the lawof Christ, but I do not think my weaknesses and failures make me less justified before God.

Brother your expostulations have been rather vague and as such impossible to garner a clear "amen" from me. Perhaps you would make bold and name several movies and tv programs that fit the target of your OP; i.e. programs that you believe clearly are sinful and which you puzzle over the fact that puritan and reformed minded believers view for their "entertainment.

Here's some:

The Boondock Saints 2
Crank 2
Fast and Furious 4
Madea Goes to Jail
Street Fighter
Terminator Salvation
Transformers 2
GI Joe

These arent particular ones I disliked, or that I think are the worst. I just pulled up a list of 2009 movies, and found a handful of the ones I know people watched; and most of which I was invited to go see and, after looking up the info on, decided I wouldnt go see.

I think the OP makes a very good point and one that has often and often been a concern to me.
I also would have wanted to second Bob's suggestion
Perhaps you would make bold and name several movies and tv programs that fit the target of your OP; i.e. programs that you believe clearly are sinful and which you puzzle over the fact that puritan and reformed minded believers view for their "entertainment.
......but your list unfortunately sheds no light for me! Most of those films I have barely heard of, and I certainly haven't seen any of them (they sound like guys' titles).
I will mention instead just one film that has caused me concern in the sort of way I think you mean.
"Clueless" is based on Jane Austen and is a very clever and funny film, very popular with some of my family. I've often watched it with them, not wanting to put barriers between us by holding aloof. I suppose most people would say it was totally harmless. However I never feel happy about having watched it, because of the assumptions it makes and the behaviours it condones.
I'd be really interested to know what anyone else thinks.

Interesting...I haven't watched the movies on your list, but it looks to me like it is violence you dislike in a movie. See, for me, it would have been movies that promote deviant sexual lifestyles that would be on my "don't watch" list. I don't have a problem watching gunfights and such. Am I misunderstanding what you don't like about the kind of films on your list?

Maybe Ill be just a "echo", but so be it. I certainly think its a thing of Christian liberty and conscience. If your conscience keeps pounding you over some movies you want to watch, then you should not watch them. I do think that there are movies that a Christian should have no business watching. Movies like 40 year old virgin, American pie..These are movies that promote fornication. The bible warns us about calling evil good and good evil. Fornication, and sexual impurity is a evil. And these movies openly promote having sex before marriage, lust, adultery, etc. just my :2cents:

Here is John Piper's take on this issue:

"I have a high tolerance for violence, high tolerance for bad language, and zero tolerance for nudity. There is a reason for these differences. The violence is make-believe. They don’t really mean those bad words. But that lady is really naked, and I am really watching. And somewhere she has a brokenhearted father."

See the whole article here.

"I have a high tolerance for violence, high tolerance for bad language, and zero tolerance for nudity. There is a reason for these differences. The violence is make-believe. They don’t really mean those bad words. But that lady is really naked, and I am really watching. And somewhere she has a brokenhearted father."
two very good points but I'm not so sure about the third.
Who knows whether they mean the bad words? and if they are blasphemous bad words, those speaking them can't possibly be right-minded or they wouldn't say them, even "acting"

I will name a few I have heard people on this board say they watch that have puzzled me. They all contain rank feminism, sexuality, violence, and blaspheming the Lords name.

-Battlestar Galactica
-Lost

The violence is may be from my limited experience with them, in the pursuit of justice but not all of it. The rest is just gratuitious.

I was thinking this to differentiate between violence and nudity or sexually related content. Violence like in a Clint Eastwood western movie doesn't seem crazy because its so old now and the special effects make it totally obvious that its fake. Another probably bloody movie, or series rather, is the Band of Brothers.

Here is a good sermon on this subject: Should Christians Watch Movies?

Also a mea culpa, I am not perfect in this regard at all. I still find myself sifting and trying to find something that I can watch because I have always been a movie buff. It gets harder all the time and I have slipped by not turning off things that I should. I watched Snow Walker last night because it was PG. Well it had a lascivious scene in it without nudity, I think, I immediately fast forwarded. I didn't turn it off and I should have. There were also 3rd commandment violations in it. :( Now I have guilt. :(

-----Added 12/8/2009 at 03:24:27 EST-----

I was thinking this to differentiate between violence and nudity or sexually related content. Violence like in a Clint Eastwood western movie doesn't seem crazy because its so old now and the special effects make it totally obvious that its fake. Another probably bloody movie, or series rather, is the Band of Brothers.

I can't justify that argument because the goal of the movie is to realistically portray these things so as to immerse you in the story. To make it real for you the viewer because that it what you want.

It is also not just the sex, violence, and blasphemy all these shows are laced with various secular and pagan worldviews and philosophies. They are trying to convert you. Think of every show as a secular or pagan sermon in the temple of mammon because that is essentially what they are.

Even the movie I watched last night Snow Walker although you would all call it tame it was awful in so many ways but packaged in such a nice package. The Inuits were very interesting and enchanting in their simplicity. It was subtley promoting the superiority of their nature worshipping native life. The American was portrayed as a bumbling idiot, which was correct in my view because his lifestyle was less than savory. Anyway, all that to say that every movie has a theme and moral of the story. They are like sermons.

Also a mea culpa, I am not perfect in this regard at all. I still find myself sifting and trying to find something that I can watch because I have always been a movie buff. It gets harder all the time and I have slipped by not turning off things that I should. I watched Snow Walker last night because it was PG. Well it had a lascivious scene in it without nudity, I think, I immediately fast forwarded. I didn't turn it off and I should have. There were also 3rd commandment violations in it. :( Now I have guilt. :(

-----Added 12/8/2009 at 03:24:27 EST-----

I can't justify that argument because the goal of the movie is to realistically portray these things so as to immerse you in the story. To make it real for you the viewer because that it what you want.

It is also not just the sex, violence, and blasphemy all these shows are laced with various secular and pagan worldviews and philosophies. They are trying to convert you. Think of every show as a secular or pagan sermon in the temple of mammon because that is essentially what they are.

Even the movie I watched last night Snow Walker although you would all call it tame it was awful in so many ways but packaged in such a nice package. The Inuits were very interesting and enchanting in their simplicity. It was subtley promoting the superiority of their nature worshipping native life. The American was portrayed as a bumbling idiot, which was correct in my view because his lifestyle was less than savory. Anyway, all that to say that every movie has a theme and moral of the story. They are like sermons.

Thank you for the insight.

I do think that there are movies that a Christian should have no business watching. Movies like 40 year old virgin, American pie..These are movies that promote fornication.

I've seen both of the movies you mentioned, and I agree with you about American Pie, but not 40 Year Old Virgin.

EVERYBODY NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT. THE MOVIE IS FLAT OUT VULGAR.

With that said, there at least IS a redemptive element in the 40 Year Old Virgin. I got half-way through the movie when first watching it, and I turned it off due to the vulgarity. The next day (out of curiosity how it ends) I watched the remaining half of the movie, and I was glad I did. It has a redemptive ending. While the "virgin" is constantly ridiculed for his virginity, the movie itself promotes his decision to wait until marriage. He gets married at the end and is depicted as being the truly happy one.

I'm sure this is true of all of us at some time. I have an especially big grudge against films that are mostly good and clean but from which you can't separate a strain of bad. Those are the ones that make it really difficult.
Still I think Thomas is right
Originally Posted by TKarrer

:agree:

-----Added 12/8/2009 at 03:52:44 EST-----

Anyway, all that to say that every movie has a theme and moral of the story. They are like sermons.
oh boy you can say that again.
My boys used to immerse themselves in Star Trek. I wasn't really paying too much attention, just grateful that the stories were invariably sexually clean. It was only gradually I noticed the unrelenting preaching of evolutionism, humanism, feminism....!

I do think that there are movies that a Christian should have no business watching. Movies like 40 year old virgin, American pie..These are movies that promote fornication.

I've seen both of the movies you mentioned, and I agree with you about American Pie, but not 40 Year Old Virgin.

EVERYBODY NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT. THE MOVIE IS FLAT OUT VULGAR.

With that said, there at least IS a redemptive element in the 40 Year Old Virgin. I got half-way through the movie when first watching it, and I turned it off due to the vulgarity. The next day (out of curiosity how it ends) I watched the remaining half of the movie, and I was glad I did. It has a redemptive ending. While the "virgin" is constantly ridiculed for his virginity, the movie itself promotes his decision to wait until marriage. He gets married at the end and is depicted as being the truly happy one.

Dont mean to nitpick but you dont agree with me that "40 year old virgin" promote's fornication? Really? Ill take your word for it, that it was a "redemptive ending". I saw about a hour. I turned it off because I felt that I was wasting my time.

Dont mean to nitpick but you dont agree with me that "40 year old virgin" promote's fornication?

I'd say the movie depicts characters who promote fornication, but they are also depicted as being foolish. If the movie "promotes" anything, it's the main character's decision to wait until marriage.

Dont mean to nitpick but you dont agree with me that "40 year old virgin" promote's fornication?

I'd say the movie depicts characters who promote fornication, but they are also depicted as being foolish. If the movie "promotes" anything, it's the main character's decision to wait until marriage.

The main character is quite foolish himself throughout the movie. :D

The main character is quite foolish himself throughout the movie. :D

That's true.
There are a lot of problems with the movie, so I don't want it to come across that I think it's a good one for the Christian to watch. I don't. I just see it as having a redemptive element, which in my mind separates it from the complete garbage like American Pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back