Christian entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The idea that we judge a movie merely on the basis of "objectionable content" might work if our only purpose in watching is entertainment. But when we watch something as art, it gets more complicated. A movie's message and purpose must be considered.

The movie "Schindler's List" had full nudity, profanity and extreme violence. It didn't have a Christian agenda. But it did have a message that cared about God's world and those he created.

The cartoon movie "Prince of Egypt" had no nudity, no swear words and no extreme violence. It was about a Bible story. But it took that story and warped it into a message that said "believe in yourself."

Now which of these movies should a Christian view as most obnoxious?
"

One time we were watching that movie Bethoven with the kids, the big slobbery dog one. After a while my husband said to me that had I noticed that this movie had no sex, no swearing, no bad violence, nothing occult, everything seems fine.......but the wife is intelligent and the husband is a jerk.

I've noticed that theme often since then in what is considered OK for kids stuff.....the female or the child has all the wisdom and the male or the grownup is essentially an idiot.

Clear Play

We have Clear Play and love it...however, it doesn't take out all objectionable content (i.e. not oblique references, or "double entendres"). there are no "underlying message" filters, though!

In making decisions about movies, I bracket content into two categories:
1. What are we allowing ourselves to be exposed to? (objective, things seen and heard: sex, violence, profanity, etc.)
2. What are we being told? (subjective messages: what is the perspective/worldview/message that is being conveyed).

Clearplay helps with the first, but not the second. I find movies/entertainment that are acceptable on both counts.

BTW, one of my best friends is a Nazarine church member-their membership vows include not seeing any "R" movies...I like to kid him by asking if they make small talk by saying "So......not see any good movies lately?"

I've noticed that theme often since then in what is considered OK for kids stuff.....the female or the child has all the wisdom and the male or the grownup is essentially an idiot.

So true. I am sure this has contributed to a low view of the role of a husband and father. Instead of respecting and honoring the (difficult) position of leadership that a man has in his family, a sitcom will degrade the leading male character. The wife is almost always the moral leader (not that wives shouldn't be moral).

We struggle with this too. I think the big one with us (along with the nudity) is the taking of the Lord's name in vain. I can self-righteously self-justify portrayals of violence and the like with relative ease, but the idea that I am paying someone to blaspheme the name of the Lord is incredibly perverse to me.

You bring up something that has weighed on my mind for some time and I attended a conference by T. David Gordon and he brought up two points in regards to our entertainment culture:

1. The irrationality associated with the media. Most of what you watch even if it is sanitized is not rational. Take 'Wife Swap' for example, what is rational about swapping wives just so you can find out what you miss about your wife and what your doing wrong?

2. Triviality - At best television and the like will at best do you no good and at worse pollute your soul and mind. So why waste your time on an exercise that has no essential value to you as a human being?

I believe even Christians have become to dependent upon "Instant Stimulation", which is probably why it's so hard for them to keep the Sabbath. To entertain the idea of praying, reading scripture, attending two worship services, and mediating on Christ is like you asked them to pull an axe that has been embedded into their skull.

So I personally think christians should abandon all forms of media entertainment and use all of the time that would be created to grow in grace, edify their church and neighbors, and live for the glory of God. I think too many christians try to be Son of God and a friend of the world at the same time, which of course is impossible.

You bring up something that has weighed on my mind for some time and I attended a conference by T. David Gordon and he brought up two points in regards to our entertainment culture:

1. The irrationality associated with the media. Most of what you watch even if it is sanitized is not rational. Take 'Wife Swap' for example, what is rational about swapping wives just so you can find out what you miss about your wife and what your doing wrong?

2. Triviality - At best television and the like will at best do you no good and at worse pollute your soul and mind. So why waste your time on an exercise that has no essential value to you as a human being?

I believe even Christians have become to dependent upon "Instant Stimulation", which is probably why it's so hard for them to keep the Sabbath. To entertain the idea of praying, reading scripture, attending two worship services, and mediating on Christ is like you asked them to pull an axe that has been embedded into their skull.

So I personally think christians should abandon all forms of media entertainment and use all of the time that would be created to grow in grace, edify their church and neighbors, and live for the glory of God. I think too many christians try to be Son of God and a friend of the world at the same time, which of course is impossible.

Thank you for those 3 points. They are certainly something to consider. As for your statement that I bolded above, would this include internet? I am asking seriously because it seems that many people in this particular discussion take the position that tv/movies are bad, but internet is okay. What is the difference? Sure, we could argue, "well some internet is used for good and to edify us" but could we not use that argument also for tv/movies? I will confess that, for me personally, much more temptation comes via internet/computer than it does via tv.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think, just as with the internet, there certainly are ways to use other forms of media entertainment for God's glory. One example is having a beer with some brothers in the Lord while watching "A Late Great Planet Church". This use of media can spark very godly and edifying discussion and understanding. There are several other movies that will do the same.

As far as TV goes; I personally will never own a tv. This conviction first settled within my mind during a year span of time when I lived at a former Pastor's house. I had always had a tv up to that point in my life. While I was there it was hard for a few weeks- Id think about wanting to relax in front of the tv and some shows I missed. But after a couple months I was liberated and oh so thankful to God. By liberated I mean I felt like a burden had been lifted from me. I no longer had the option of tv, so I ended up being more active in study, prayer, service, outreach, etc. I felt joyous knowing I no longer wasted the amount of time I used to.

Just recently, at my Moms house, my Mom was watching 18 and Counting- a pretty wholesome, pure show. So, seeing that it wasnt an offensive show, I began watching it. Within ten minutes a commercial for Victorias Secret came on, and I saw a woman- who isnt my wife- wearing close to a thong. My eyes beheld something I told them I would avoid at all costs. She paraded across the screen sensuously, and within 2 seconds I had seen enough to arouse the lusts within me. This is just one reason (of many) I hate television.

With that said though, along with the other comments Ive stated in this thread about the pollution found in 99.7% of tv shows (and commercials), I refuse to say all Christians must avoid having a tv period. Wrecthed tv can be edifying; Word Pictures is edifying. There are programs out there worth watching. As for myself, I will make no provisions for my flesh. Everytime Ive reached a place where I thought I was standing, I ended up falling. I dont care how common and popular tv is amongst Christians, anything that stands in the way of my walking in the steps of my Master, is an obstacle to my happiness and therefore not worth my taking the risk with.

I should have qualified my point. There are some specific benefits for using the Internet media, such as Puritanboard and other mediums that specifically exist to edify the body of Christ and bring glory to God. That being said there is also a LOT more junk and garbage on the Internet than I think exists on T.V. and the movies. I think that as a Christian you need to be wise in your uses of these mediums. Sometimes the intention is good, but the temptation to gravitate towards the junk is too great for some Christians and in those cases the whole lump needs to be thrown out for the preservation of your soul.

Our culture is going the route of becoming totally dependent upon technology and with that it will be next to impossible to live normally in the culture without being a hermit, but no matter what the state of the fairs is we must always, "Fear the Lord..." as outlined in Proverbs 1:7.

I've heard this comment made, and have a hard time arguing against it, concerning what we watch, read, and listen to:

Can you, in good conscience, after watching, get on your knees, close your eyes, and say: "Lord, thank you for that experience. I pray that you would guide and empower these people to produce more of the same. Amen."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back