Christian Heritage Party & Roman Catholics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

threehappypenguins

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone know much about the political parties in Canada? For the last several years, I have always voted Conservative, but I think that I am at the point where I would rather spoil my ballot. However, should the Christian Heritage Party ever appear in our riding (which it has not yet), I have considered voting for them. Well... I was on their Facebook page and I saw some of their leaders congratulating the Roman Catholics on their new Pope. So I started looking into their relationships with the Roman Catholics.

I read this: Guiding Principles which seems to be very wordy and I don't quite understand where their stance is.

Then I read this: CHP Canada which seems to indicate that they believe that Roman Catholics are just another denomination. It was a Protestant and a Roman Catholic that founded the CHP. I have a big problem with that. While everything seems all fine and dandy that Roman Catholics agree with Evangelicals about issues like homosexuality and abortion, who is to say that their stance won't change in 50 years? When we don't stand on the authority of scripture alone, we can end up like Mr. Neo-Orthodox Rob Bell: LifeSiteNews Mobile | Evangelical mega-church pastor Rob Bell supports homosexual ‘marriage’

Is there anyone out that that has a good understanding of Canadian Politics? I understand and don't have a problem with multiple denominations getting together to do work in the political arena, but not giving in to compromise on the essentials of the Christian faith. Roman Catholicism is an apostate church, not another "denomination." Is there another registered political group in Canada that does not give in to any compromise when it comes to essentials in the Christian faith?

Although there stance on RC is problematic, its almost necessary from a political standpoint. IF your with a party that espouses Christian Values as its platform. Your going to doom yourself to failure if you isolate yourself from RC, as its the largest Christian denomination in Canada. IF there is another party that does not cozy with the RCC then it does not exist in the Maritime's.

"Doom yourself to failure"? Who cares! Is it not God who "removes kings and sets up kings"? I can't find anything in the bible about being pragmatic...

Your right but the CHP function is to gain seats in government and not to preach the gospel. Should it? Well its not a political parties job to preach the gospel. You said yourself that it was founded by a protestant and a RC, it would then seem the issues you are at the center of there founding and constitution. A political party cannot be all things to all people. I agree that i don't like the idea of congratulating the Pope, but really what are we expecting anyway. If anything the CHP is within the borders of who they say they are, it is not the Protestant Heritage Party. And as much as we dislike it in the broadest sense of the word RC is Christian.

My point is that God's law is inseparable with politics and how a country should run. Then comes the questions, "What are God's laws?" "By what morals should our country and laws be based on?" All of the answers to those questions MUST come from scripture and nothing else. I highly recommend reading "50 Years in the Church of Rome" by Charles Chiniquy. If the pope wanted, he could say that homosexuality and abortion are acceptable. Then what would the CHP do? By whose standard are they operating? Man's? Or God's?

I think your missing my point. Perhaps at the core of my concerns is the question, should a Christian Party even exist?

I suggest you look into Two Kingdoms Theology vs Kuyperian Theology. There a good people on both sides of the question.

Sarah,

I've been following the CHP for many years. At times, I have voted for them, but at other times, not. There are not many Roman Catholics involved with the CHP. Most people are from some type of Reformed background, with a few evangelicals as well. I personally believe the CHP is the best alternative that we have in Canada. However, that does not mean that every CHP candidate gets my vote. In the last election, the CHP ran a candidate in my riding. But this candidate ran a shoddy campaign and, despite his high principles, I don't think he would be competent to serve as an MP. I spoiled my ballot, as I will always do if there is no party or candidate that I can vote for in good conscience.

By the way, have you heard of the Association for Reformed Political Action? They're doing good work in Ottawa and elsewhere.

Wes, thanks for pointing me in the direction of ARPA. I've never heard of them, so I'll check them out.

Justin, I've never heard of either, so I briefly read this article: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2009/08/14/two-kingdom-theology-and-neo-kuyperians/

The author doesn't seem to keen on Christian Reconstructionism/Theonomy. I am in the middle of reading Christian Reconstruction: What It Is, What It Isn't by Gary North & Gary DeMar (I see people refer to them as "Gary Squared" haha!). I don't know enough about Kuyperian Theology, so I can't say much about it. But I have heard some really great lectures by Greg Bahsen that are very convincing that there is NO such thing as neutrality. I think this really laid the groundwork in establishing a Christian Worldview in my thinking. I feel so muddled in my thoughts lately, especially when it comes on who to vote for. So I want to find out more so I can hopefully clear up my thinking and think straight! If that makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back