Christian Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFranchetti

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello members of the board. I’ve recently begun reading Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment, and have enjoyed it quite a bit, as well as profiting from it as it contains good messages on various issues. This has drawn me to search for Christian, or at least Christian-themed, novels and works with more of a narrative to them. However I didn’t find too much besides weird Christian romance books. And so I would ask you all, what are some more narrative-driven Christian works that are your favorites? I would like to know about fiction titles but wouldn’t mind getting to hear about a good historical or biographical work either.

Michael,

Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan
The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis
Any book by G.K. Chesterton
Sufferings in Africa: The Astonishing Account of a New England Sea Captain Enslaved by North African Arabs
by James Riley (one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite books)
Any of the biographies of the great Christians of the past. Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson by Robert Lewis Dabney, for example. William Tyndale: A Biography by David Daniell. James Hudson Taylor wrote his own autobiography. Ligonier Ministries has a number of biographies on famous Christians of the past.

There are several authors who do more than assume Christianity/Christendom as cultural background noise. This is not to argue for their orthodoxy of doctrine or godliness of life, by any means; but they can be read with definite enjoyment and profit.

George Eliot's novels are remarkable in many ways, but she stands out as one of the few able to recognize the strengths as well as the shortcomings of evangelical clergymen. Scenes of Clerical Life is a good place to start.

Anthony Trollope is tremendously engaging, and his clergymen have a genuine, if partial, morality. The Warden is a good place to start, and has one of the most awakening deathbed scenes you're likely to encounter.

Elizabeth Gaskell is another whose observation of life and sympathy to a broad spectrum of characters is joined with an appreciation for much that is true, good, and beautiful. Cranford is delightfully varied.

On a different note, I enjoyed Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory." He was Roman Catholic, but he's more like a man struggling with Roman Catholicism and the questions modern Catholicism doesn't answer, and it shows in this novel. Not sure about his other novels, but I thought it was interesting, especially the incredibly interesting historical context that I had never heard about.

1) Anything by Walker Percy is good and Flannery O'Connor has some shocking yet brilliant material. They are both staunch Catholics. While the Evangelicals were trying to win society through cool revival techniques and hip "Jesus" music, these two critiqued modern society for its materialism, idolatry, and vulgarity. In the novels, I will warn you that they are not appropraite for unmatured believers. S*x, drugs, and murder are common but they arent used to glorify the characters but show how perverse humanity is and how there is no "perfect" hero. For example, Lancelot (Percy) is graphic but gets the point across that licentoius hedonism destroys a person.

2) You can never go wrong with Faulkner. I dont think he was Christian (at least not Reformed) but he was a "noble pagan" who explored the themes of Christianty in Southern society.

3) Last avenue I look to would be agrarian writings. The Twelve Southerners (authors of "Ill Take My Stand") are good (men like Robert Penn Warren, Donald Davidson, and Andrew Lytle) and so is the more recent work by Wendell Berry. A good place to start is "A Name for Evil" by Lytle.

Although certainly not a Christian, Dickens has very keen insights into the ills that can afflict the visible church of God. Bleak House and Oliver Twist both have some memorable characters who epitomise churchmen (and women) who love their power, prestige, money, and Christian service more than mercy, charity, and compassion.

Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe is a wonderful book on redemption, as is Pinocchio (another not just a children’s book!).

I am constantly recommending Sigrid Undset's historical novels, starting with Kristin Lavransdatter -- the edition translated by Tiina Nunnally. Nunnally is also working on translating the Olav Audunssøn series, which is almost as good as Kristin.

I think the greatest Christian novel ever written is Uncle Tom's Cabin. The dialogue of the various characters is superb. American slavery may have changed with the civil war, but the hearts and minds of men have not.

Another great novel is "Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn. An American businessman, backslidden from the faith, visits his old Christian college roommate in China for business purposes. It is based on real stories over there, although my Aunt said she knows a missionary couple to China who said things are even worse than the book describes ( which is awful persecution). Its just a wonderfully crafted novel.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have read Pilgrims Progress multiple times, and it is my favorite book besides the scriptures. As for the other works, I’ll most likely start with some of Lewis’s stuff as he has been mentioned the most frequently and since I really enjoyed his Abolition Of Man.

Last year I read the Dark Faith trilogy by OPC pastor Jeremiah Montgomery. It is meant for teenagers but highly recommend it, but be forewarned, there are scenes of torture in it.
Also, again for younger readers there is Douglas Bond. I have read 2 of his books and enjoyed them.

Some great suggestions!
Lewis is superb. I also enjoyed his ‘Screwtape Letters’ and his first work of fiction (and first book he wrote after his conversion) ‘Pilgrims Regress’, an allegorical work detailing his own spiritual journey.
As far as biographies go, I am just finishing up ‘The Pastor of Kilsyth’. A really interesting look at the life and times of the Scottish pastor William H Burns, written by his son Islay Burns.

Hello members of the board. I’ve recently begun reading Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment, and have enjoyed it quite a bit, as well as profiting from it as it contains good messages on various issues. This has drawn me to search for Christian, or at least Christian-themed, novels and works with more of a narrative to them. However I didn’t find too much besides weird Christian romance books. And so I would ask you all, what are some more narrative-driven Christian works that are your favorites? I would like to know about fiction titles but wouldn’t mind getting to hear about a good historical or biographical work either.
Using a generously broad description for "Christian fiction", I would second the reccomendation of Wendell Berry's fiction, particular Hannah Coulter and Jayber Crow. Gilead and Home by Marilynne Robinson are superb, as is Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.

This is very interesting to hear. My wife has this collection but I have not read it yet. Sounds like I need to move those up in the queue.
Yes. Yes you do. Lewis' space trilogy is extraordinary.
I've mentioned before I read it yearly, and always find something new tucked up in it.
I have a free Audible trial right now, and they were the first books I snagged.
Listening to them, after reading them for decades, is quite wonderful.

Some great suggestions!
Lewis is superb. I also enjoyed his ‘Screwtape Letters’ and his first work of fiction (and first book he wrote after his conversion) ‘Pilgrims Regress’, an allegorical work detailing his own spiritual journey.
As far as biographies go, I am just finishing up ‘The Pastor of Kilsyth’. A really interesting look at the life and times of the Scottish pastor William H Burns, written by his son Islay Burns.
Pilgrims Regress is my fave Lewis, after the space trilogy. More people should read it.

Seconding Marilynn Robinson and Leif Enger. Superb fiction in my opinion.

I enjoy the Father Brown mysteries. Father Brown is a monk and spiritual themes are often explored in a natural way.

Dorothy Sayer and Agatha Christie were both purportedly Christians and their many mysteries seem to assume a believer's sensibility and priorities and interests.

Using a generously broad description for "Christian fiction", I would second the reccomendation of Wendell Berry's fiction, particular Hannah Coulter and Jayber Crow. Gilead and Home by Marilynne Robinson are superb, as is Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.
I very much appreciate Marilynne Robinson's Gilead books (up to four now I think). They are thoughtful, beautifully written and really explore the human condition and struggles in an imperfect world with imperfect people. And actually portrays a Calvinist preacher in a decent (and very human) light!

Jayber Crow I didn't enjoy so much, I thought his religion was pretty mixed up but perhaps I should give Berry another chance some day.

Aleksis Kivi's Seven Brothers is the great Finnish novel and well worth your time. It's a sort of journey of seven wild young men back to Christian civilization and social responsibilities. Kind of a reverse-Mark Twain. Though not overtly Christian, it definitely assumes it.

Note the format is somewhat unusual--almost more like a transcript. But it's excellent.

Bo Giertz's Hammer of God and Faith Alone I have just cracked open. He has another one or two but they escape my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back