Christian Observer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am familiar with it. I believe that it is the oldest Presbyterian publication in America (someone correct me if I am wrong) beginning in 1813. Dr. Baynard is a Minister at Clover EPC, and Dr. Le May I believe is a member of the Hanover Presbytery, and Dr. Edwin P. Elliott Jr. is a minister of the Hanover Presbytery as well. This Particular newspaper serves (if I am not mistaken) The Bible Presbyterian Chruch and is widely read in other micro-presbyterian circles. I know that we at Trinity OPC have a subscription to it. I will try and find out more if you would like :gpl:

Jeff -- I'm familiar with it. It has some usefulness. Be aware that the editor is a Freemason, however.

You are referring to Dr. Elliott? He is actually a part of group known as the Orange Institution or Orange Lodge. (I am not advocating membership in this group btw) :book2:

I can't speak to his membership or not in the Orange Order; but he is a "Grand Chaplain" in the Masonic Lodge.

VaMason : 2006-2007 Grand Officers

His Masonic membership is well known and it's been a factor in preventing a past church merger. See also this thread:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/any-masons-board-18825/

Jeff -- I'm familiar with it. It has some usefulness. Be aware that the editor is a Freemason, however.

You are referring to Dr. Elliott? He is actually a part of group known as the Orange Institution or Orange Lodge. (I am not advocating membership in this group btw) :book2:

I can't speak to his membership or not in the Orange Order; but he is a "Grand Chaplain" in the Masonic Lodge.

VaMason : 2006-2007 Grand Officers

His Masonic membership is well known and it's been a factor in preventing a past church merger. See also this thread:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/any-masons-board-18825/

Thank you for these links Andrew. I know that he is an Orange Man from his own testimony on a private board that I lurk on, and was quite taken back by it! I know that he mentioned that many Hanoverians were Orange men, but consider that heresay.

Gentlemen,

Since he is a freemason, how is it he is the editor? Why is this not an issue for what looks to be a rather solid, conservative Reformed website? Looking at the colleges and seminaries they list, they list only conservative schools (including my own).

Gentlemen,

Since he is a freemason, how is it he is the editor? Why is this not an issue for what looks to be a rather solid, conservative Reformed website? Looking at the colleges and seminaries they list, they list only conservative schools (including my own).

Good question. It would appear (at least from what Mr. Elliott has said of his own church) that many men in Hanover Presbytery are members of the Orange lodge because (if I understand correctly) the Orange Lodge requires its members to credibly profess to be confessionally reformed. Now I am not aware of Mr. Elliott's status in Masons but it is not surprising to me. I think I will PM you how I got some of this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back