Christian Punk, Ska, Emo and Hardcore Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernHero

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings, all. I'm sure that there will be some (younger) members who can relate to this post. What do you all think about Christian punk, emo, ska and hardcore bands? When I was in high school, these bands meant so much to me and also kept me encouraged and energized to be a light and evangelize.

Now, I cringe to think of this music played anywhere near a church service. That's not what I mean. (I'm actually against anythings but Psalms and Hymns in church).

Potential problems: Worldliness? Conformity? Watered-down message?
Benefits: Taking dominion over a beautiful artform.

Some of the bands I'm talking about:

Supertones (Calvinists!)
MXPX (Still my favorite band)
Five Iron Frenzy
Value Pac
Mae
Anberlin
Further Seems Forever
Strongarm (wow, go read the lyrics of this band, I HIGHLY recommend them for their passion and Christ-centered message).
Overcome
Basically any Tooth and Nail / Solid State Records band.

This thread may prove unfruitful for some because the indie Christian punk scene is something that you must have been a part of at some time to really understand. And each band is different (some are just positive or clean, while others like Strongarm are indeed Christian warriors).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why do you have a problem with these other things if you don't mind hymns being sung in church? You mentioned that their lyrics could be watered-down but made comments which make it seem like several of them probably have very good lyrics.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a problem with these other things if you don't mind hymns being sung in church? You mentioned that their lyrics could be watered-down but made comments which make it seem like several of them probably have very good lyrics.

That's a good question. I hold different standards depending on the purpose of the music. When I'm cruising in my car or studying, I enjoy to play some of the bands I've listed (whether it is labeled "Christian music," or just music made by Christians. What is the difference? That could be another thread entirely).

When worshipping The Lord in a Church, I subscribe to the regulative principle of worship.

That's a good question. I hold different standards depending on the purpose of the music. When I'm cruising in my car or studying, I enjoy to play some of the bands I've listed (whether it is labeled "Christian music," or just music made by Christians. What is the difference? That could be another thread entirely).

When worshipping The Lord in a Church, I subscribe to the regulative principle of worship.

I guess I was just wondering what it is about the Regulative Principle which allows hymns with organs or pianos but not the Supertones with guitars, drums, trumpets and trombones. :think: In fact, when one reads the Old Testament one might think that the Supertones would be more appropriate! :lol: Regardless, I don't want to derail the thread - just a thought.

Greetings, all. I'm sure that there will be some (younger) members who can relate to this post. What do you all think about Christian punk, emo, ska and hardcore bands? When I was in high school, these bands meant so much to me and also kept me encouraged and energized to be a light and evangelize.

Now, I cringe to think of this music played anywhere near a church service. That's not what I mean. (I'm actually against anythings but Psalms and Hymns in church).

Supertones (Calvinists!)
Five Iron Frenzy
Value Pac
Mae
Anberlin
Further Seems Forever
Strongarm (wow, go read the lyrics of this band, I HIGHLY recommend them for their passion and Christ-centered message).
Overcome

This thread may prove unfruitful for some because the indie Christian punk scene is something that you must have been a part of at some time to really understand. And each band is different (some are just positive or clean, while others like Strongarm are indeed Christian warriors).

Thoughts?

I grew up on a lot of the bands that you mentioned. I actually still listen to a lot of bands from Solid State. I now mostly listen to metalcore and hardcore, but I agree it wouldn't be appropriate to have these kind of bands in worship. Besides...I think all the old ladies would have a heart attack from all the screaming and insane break-downs.:p

Since most of this music is "non-country," it is by definition bad. However, I will make an exception for Supertones.

As I Lay Dying, I find, have some of the best lyrics out there.

Now this is who we are
I am no one's hero
For we are not the giant men
That some may think
You are faithful when we are not
So I'd like to tell this story
The way it is meant to be
Without the burden that's in our hearts
None of us would have ever found You
For You are faithful when we are not
You began a work
That only you can complete

Now this is who we are
I'll never know the answers
And I'll always wonder why

...Why we're given grace we'll never deserve
And a second chance that we will never earn
For there is nothing I can do to save myself

Now this is who we are
I'll never know the answers
And I'll always wonder why
But You have let me start again
I'd rather be called weak
Than die thinking I was strong

Supertones (Calvinists!)
Five Iron Frenzy
Value Pac
Mae
Anberlin
Further Seems Forever
Overcome

Thoughts?

I have never liked Christian alternative music :worms:. During my teen years I spent a lot of time hanging out at Punk, hardcore, and Indie rock shows in small underground all-ages venues in seattle (The Vera Project, Club Impact, neumos, etc). my reason for not liking christian alternative music is one of differing taste, and the fact that too often Christian bands seem to think that the way to present the gospel to a dying world is to be relevant to that world, and similar to it.

I do not mean to Disparage brothers and sisters who are in christian bands, but my own experience of going to christian venues to see christian bands of the emergent flavour has been very dissapointing and at times dissheartening.

For example; at Club Impact in Tacoma Wa. before each show is begun, a non-offensive politically correct prayer is offered before every show. During this prayer many people would, yell, swear, curse, blaspheme etc. The Gospel was not proclaimed, but what was proclaimed was one royal good time in the name of a religion bearing a slight resemblence to Christianity. Many people I counted to be friends were at times were very irrationally hostile to evangelical christians, while themselves professing Christ.

After I became a believer (I was 17), I continued to see shows at christian venues but for reasons referenced above I stopped. I also gradually stopped going to shows altogether. I could no longer bear to be around such negativity, anger, ungodliness, and rebellion. It grieved my soul too much to be around such sinfulness. Please dont think that I am reacting knee-jerk to this issue. In my humble opinion coming from a background that knows christian alternative music (especially of the emergent flavour) I am not saying that all bands who are profess faith in Christ are no good, i am only saying that because of my experiences in that scene, I would not reccomend many Christian bands. :2cents:

p.s.
My wife and I do like Copeland. They are a band of men who are themselves professing Christians that have made conscience decisions to be secular in their music.

I guess I was just wondering what it is about the Regulative Principle which allows hymns with organs or pianos but not the Supertones with guitars, drums, trumpets and trombones. :think: In fact, when one reads the Old Testament one might think that the Supertones would be more appropriate! :lol: Regardless, I don't want to derail the thread - just a thought.

Ska, punk, etc. is generally not well suited to congregational singing.

I'm not too into punk/ska/emo. I'm more of a metalcore type of guy I guess. If anyone is interested, they ought to check out a band called Becoming the Archetype. They recently wrote an allegorical type of album in which the Trinity = Fire, Evil/World/Satan = Ice. It was pretty well done. Here is a hodgepodge of lyrics that I threw together to give someone the overall "story".

In the time before the great fall
The power of fire was known to man
Imparted at creation as a vital component
of the human soul

In exchange for the keys to knowledge
Mankind gave up their immortal souls
Corrupted by the enemy, their souls were held
Encased in ice
Indefinitely

And so was the plight of man for generations
Their souls remained frozen
Enslaved in darkness
Until the day that fire fell from heaven
Those who witnessed the blaze took up torches
And carried them into all the earth

"Awake from sleep my chosen people
Break the bonds of slavery and step out into new life
Hear the word spoken through flame
A fire that cannot be quenched"

The number of men who carried the flame continued to increase
They stormed the gates relentlessly
Waving their torches and shouting together:
"There is none that can stand against the power of fire"

The enemy’s grasp was broken by the power of fire
And a great multitude of souls were reclaimed from the ice
But there were many others that did not respond
To the presence of fire
They remained frozen
Enslaved in darkness
Forever

When the mountains crumble into the sea
When the stars fall from the heavens and scorch the earth
Then every knee will bow before the flame
And every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord
A fire that cannot be quenched

Becoming the Archetype are/were mostly reformed before they had a shakeup of the members. I think that their debut album "Terminate Damnation" is far superior to their latest. Also, Strongarm's "Advent of a Miracle" is a phenomenal album both musically and lyrically. That album single handedly ushered in the sound that became known as the Florida Hardcore sound that was oft copied but never equaled.

Unfortuantely most of the bands in these genre's carry over the ethos of the scene with an attitude of "Nobody can tell me what to do" and "It is just me and my Bible". Which is very unfortunate. Luckily there are a few bands who do not fall in that category, some of which are:

Strongarm
Plankeye
Becoming the Archetype
Focused
As I Lay Dying

I used to be big in to the metal/hardcore scene, both secular and Christian.

I listened to and still sometimes listen to rap music. Thought I'd put that out there. :wwbd:

I'd much rather a band be simply "secular" and still give a Christian message. One doesn't have to be a "Christian band" to proclaim Christ as Lord and the message of the Gospel. I mean, was Bach a "Christian Composer" or was he a brilliant composer, blessed by God, who used his talents to glorify God?

Switchfoot is a good example of this I think. Their songs are ladened with total depravity and the need of salvation. I enjoy some of them greatly.

Becoming the Archetype are/were mostly reformed before they had a shakeup of the members. I think that their debut album "Terminate Damnation" is far superior to their latest.

I believe the vocalist and the drummer are both Calvinists. I've seen the vocalist say some impressive stuff on their forums before.

The first album is produced better (aka heavier), but I still think the Physics of Fire is a better album as a whole. Great, consistent message.

Though, the first album does proclaim a lot of truth:

My heart has never been enough
Breathing just barely gets me by for a time
The consequences of being human won't be undone by human hands
I turn my head and see it all falling apart
But You're still here, unphased by me

Supertones - I have been listening to them since 1996 when i got their 1st CD ... I've been to a few of their concerts ... always a great band .. Then again ... ska has always been one of my favorites ...

Another ska band I really like is "The Israelites" ... They have a more original ska sound

MXPX - Went to one of their concerts back in 1997 or so in Daytona Beach ... They are OK ... but their lyrics aren't impressive. (To me @ least)

Five Iron Frenzy - These guys are fun!!! Their music has a style all it's own ... I hung out with these guys before, talked to Micah for a while ... nice guy ... I do love their music ...

Further Seems Forever - Really good ... These are a bunch of the guys who made up Strongarm.

Strongarm - I have to hit this from a personal side ... Their music is great! I grew up with these guys down in Pompano Beach, FL. Been to a few of their shows and sat in on some of their home jam sessions before they made it ... These guys music has always been good ... always had a heart for the music they made ... and have always been all around cool friends! I even served in the youth ministry with Jason (the original lead singer) and Chris (The lead singer after Jason left the band). We were youth leaders during the same time period at the church we went to.

I even like the reaggea side of things too ... I'll probably catch a little slack for this one ... I do not agree with the theology of the band ... but man, I do like the sound of their music! It's the band Christ-a-fari.

Ha, I just figured out what EMO was 4 months ago. I kept thinking that EMO was that furry thing on Sesame Street.

....then I remembered. No, that's Elmo.

ska = a music style that incorporates brass instuments into the music. Usually an upbeat music with trombone, trumpet.

Official Wikipedia defenition ...

Ska (pronounced /ska/ or in Jamaican Patois /skja/) is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s and was a precursor to rocksteady and reggae.[1]

Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. It is characterized by a walking bass line, accented guitar or piano rhythms on the offbeat, and in some cases, jazz-like horn riffs. In the early 1960s, ska was the dominant musical genre of Jamaica, and it was also popular with British mods. Many skinheads, in various decades, have also enjoyed ska (along with reggae, rocksteady and other genres).[2][3][4][5] Music historians typically divide the history of ska into three periods: the original Jamaican ska scene of the 1960s, the 2 Tone ska revival that started in England in the late 1970s, and the third wave ska movement, which started in the 1980s.

For whole definition and history ...

Ska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back