Christian response to Ouija boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Obviously, I believe they are evil but should our response be along the lines of "That stuff is fake" or "that stuff is tapping into demonic forces?"

The paper and plastic in the game is not evil in of itself but the inappropriate use of the material is what is evil.

Last edited:
"If you really want infallible supernatural revelation, read the Bible."

My larger context was not "I need a good response--any response--to Ouija." Rather, should the response focus around, "You silly goose. It's not real." Or "You are playing with forces beyond your control"?

The act of of usurping God is real but the "power"of the board game is not. I like the "silly goose" response though much superstition abounds in the pagan and and sad to say also the Christian culture.

When I was young I used a Ouija board plenty of times and delved into the occult. Whilst I am not sure that I was tapping into demonic forces I certainly was doing the will of Satan and in doing so, going in direct opposition to the Word of God in consulting spirits. Whether or not I actually was, I in my heart I thought and believed I was. So I would say that in doing so one is dong the will of Satan and disobeying God in regards to consulting the dead or evil spirits.

I was given a Ouija board for "fun" when I was in middle school. Every time my sister and I or our friends "played" with it, someone ended up getting angry and someone else would get their feelings hurt...every time! Sometimes it was over whether or not one of us was purposely moving the pointer. Another time it was a friend of mine whose parents were getting a divorce, and the "answer" she got was "no" it wouldn't be resolved- she started accusing my other friends of being cruel. Then, the last straw was when a friend, who was superstitious to my surprise (she was a "conservative" Jew), was told that she would die the next day.

I told all this to my youth leader, and she suggested I throw it out (not bad for the PCUSA, huh?) I tried to at first, but I got caught by my sister, who begged me to keep it. I did, since my dad heard about it- "It's just a game" (though he acknowledged my concerns). It was never used by anyone for the next year, and one day I took it out of the cabinet and threw it into a garbage pail underneath a bunch of bush trimmings. It wasn't found that time!

Granted, knowing the human heart, any game can become a conduit for anger and hurt. And the blame is on those using it and not in the Ouija board itself. But still...100 percent of the times it was used, things ended badly. Didn't seem a wise thing with which to play!

I was taught if you go looking for the devil, you'll find him.

I met 3 people who "went looking" and found him. At least a demon.

To answer the OP question: "should our response be along the lines of "That stuff is fake" or "that stuff is tapping into demonic forces?""

I would 100% answer "that stuff is opening oneself up to demonic forces" in some way. It is the same as doing "eastern/Hindu/Buddhist meditation" practices. Or praying to Satan. One girl was tortured by the thing attacking her and talking to her day and night and she was physically beating herself because it was in her head and she would fall over in torment. She has never escaped to my knowledge. One "Christian" man switched personalities over literally one night, claimed to be able to save people from their sins and control demons and became a vicious blasphemer of the Christian God and has never recovered either. One woman said it was the most powerful and destructive mistake she ever made and it was a miracle of God that she ever got out. She said that once you go in, it is almost certain you will never get out. Seriously, don't mess with that stuff. I used to be unsure if "demons possessed people anymore" but now I'm very convinced.

I have read quite a bit about Ouija boards. My advice is STAY FAR AWAY. I've read many stories where paranormal phenomena happen to people who use the Ouija board. Funnily enough, a friend and I were just discussing this the other day. He asked me if I'd ever heard of a particular demon people have encountered on the Ouija board (its name starts with Z but I won't type it here) and I had, several years ago. Apparently many people have come across this demon and there are supposedly records of it going back to the early 19th century (although I haven't personally verified this).

DO NOT USE A OUIJA BOARD. EVER.

To use the Ouija board is to practice Occult Divination & Spiritualism, it is strictly forbidden by the Law of The Lord & can cause the users to become oppressed & tormented by Devils.

I have read quite a bit about Ouija boards. My advice is STAY FAR AWAY. I've read many stories where paranormal phenomena happen to people who use the Ouija board. Funnily enough, a friend and I were just discussing this the other day. He asked me if I'd ever heard of a particular demon people have encountered on the Ouija board (its name starts with Z but I won't type it here) and I had, several years ago. Apparently many people have come across this demon and there are supposedly records of it going back to the early 19th century (although I haven't personally verified this).

DO NOT USE A OUIJA BOARD. EVER.

I know what you are talking about. I immediately backed far away (literally).

It is silliness. It's huff, fluff, and balloon juice. The devil is God's devil, and the devils are God's devils, and they may only do as what is deemed fit by the Lord of Glory. No human has the ability to garner their "services," or conjure their activity. Look at the Witch of Endor's response when the Lord brought, either Samuel himself (to which I'm inclined), or an apparition of Samuel. She "cried with a loud voice." Now, if she'd truly had this ability to bring up spirits, deal with the dead, should she have been surprised or afraid? The sin of witchery and divination in Scripture is not related to "meddling with the otherworld," but rather not trusting in the only God Who is, and thinking one may circumvent His rule and authority by way of somehow speaking with the dead and doing "magic." Whatever these counterfeit diviners, wizards, astrologers, demon-possession deliverers are doing, it ain't magic, and it's not by some perceived power that fallen angels have. It seems that the "activity" of demonic forces, etc. have been relegated to distinct important times in religious history, namely when the King of His Kingdom came to establish His rule formally upon earth. All the anecdotal "evidence" in the world should never inform our understanding of "demonic activity," but only the Scriptures. :2cents:

We shouldn't use a Ouija board for the same reason that we shouldn't disobey any of God's commandments. We are to worship Him only, seek Him only, and not try to usurp His appointed means in our dealings in the world.

So all of the cases where it appears that the demonic is present--everyone is simply simultaneously and harmlessly deluded? The prophet Isaiah does not seem to take that view (and no, I don't believe in magic).

Isaiah 47: in spite of your many sorceries, and the great power of your enchantments.

It is certainly delving into the occult and flirting with the demonic. Their is a power associated with these kinds of things, and one that many Christians underestimate.

Although it is just supposed to be a game, and is made of cardboard and plastic, it is divination and forbidden by God. Anyone playing with this is just opening a door that should remain shut. While many have played with this in just fun and nothing happened (me at church camp in my teens of all places), some have encountered the demonic. I have talked with people first hand who have testified to this. Christians should STAY FAR AWAY from this "game" and not take the subject lightly.

You could bring up that there's always the story of Saul who went to the witch of Endor the night before his death.... isn't the point of the game to communicate with something spiritual... or .. you might ask how might a Ouija board glorify God?

I think Joseph Smith used a divining rod to search for buried treasure and ended up getting a 'revelation' of a false gospel. Not seeing any value in that game other than a good example of something to avoid

Very interesting thread. If I recall, the ouija game comes packaged with instructions never to burn the game, but honestly, if one ever came into my possession that's the first thing I'd do with it.

I think Joseph Smith used a divining rod to search for buried treasure and ended up getting a 'revelation' of a false gospel. Not seeing any value in that game other than a good example of something to avoid

I know he got not such thing. To think the devil communicated something directly to Smith is superstition.

I know he got not such thing. To think the devil communicated something directly to Smith is superstition.

Whether he did or not we don't know, yes he could have made the whole thing up as he was apparently a bit of a story teller, but if people think that the Devil cannot communicate things to people or oppress, possess is basically a form of Liberalism, though I'm not saying that you are for clarity's sake.

I think Joseph Smith's "vision" of God the Father and Jesus was demonic, if it really happened and he didn't just make it up. The Bible is clear that no man has seen the Father (John 6:46, 1 Timothy 6:16).

Whether he did or not we don't know, yes he could have made the whole thing up as he was apparently a bit of a story teller, but if people think that the Devil cannot communicate things to people or oppress, possess is basically a form of Liberalism, though I'm not saying that you are for clarity's sake.

This I do know. Smith did not receive any direct revelation from the spirit realm in the way he and his witnesses say. To think the way he concocted The Book of Mormon as protrayed by Mormons is superstition.

Last edited:

I think Joseph Smith's "vision" of God the Father and Jesus was demonic, if it really happened and he didn't just make it up. The Bible is clear that no man has seen the Father (John 6:46, 1 Timothy 6:16).

I agree it was demonic in that satan is the father of all lies. He had no vision but maybe delusions derived from his own deluded mind and I tend to think the entire story of how he received his "revelation" was simply a pure unadulterated lie. To think he (Smith) got some kind of vision is superstition.

I agree it was demonic in that satan is the father of all lies. He had no vision but maybe delusions derived from his own deluded mind and I tend to think the entire story of how he received his "revelation" was simply a pure unadulterated lie. To think he (Smith) got some kind of vision is superstition.

Earl I don't understand what you are trying to say here,

i are you saying that Satan's demonic deception consisted in Smith having mental delusions by Satanic Spiritual Agency or

ii are you equating Smiths mental delusion with Satan's demonic deception by saying they are one & the same and
thus denying Satanical Spiritual Agency as superstition?

Earl I don't understand what you are trying to say here,

i are you saying that Satan's demonic deception consisted in Smith having mental delusions by Satanic Spiritual Agency or

ii are you equating Smiths mental delusion with Satan's demonic deception by saying they are one & the same and
thus denying Satanical Spiritual Agency as superstition?

I am simply pointing out how I believe he lied in how he got his "revelation".

It was not by any direct communication from the devil for this is the superstitious aspect I am speaking against which many Christians believe. His "revelation" was from the the devil which was from the result of the fall of man. Let us place all the blame on the fallen moral man and understand that the devil is the ultimate cause of such evil.

Last edited:
Deuteronomy 18:10-12
There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

God says don't do this, and Christ says if you love me, keep my commandments.

It was not by any direct communication from the devil for this is the superstitious aspect I am speaking against which many Christians believe.

So you're saying the devil did not communicate directly with Smith - how do you know this?

It's seeking spiritual guidance from something not God... real or not real..

It's possible Joseph Smith made up the whole story, I don't know. Also could be some small thing happened and serious embellishment followed puffed up by an egotistical mind. I can't rule out of hand that a demon directly communicated with him either. In the case of Job, Satan did interact in the physical world with God's permission, including inciting a group of human Sabans to attack, including weather...

By the way... there is an interesting article on the Gospel Coalition on Mormonism today
http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/9-things-you-should-know-about-mormonism

Last edited:
It was not by any direct communication from the devil for this is the superstitious aspect I am speaking against which many Christians believe.

So you're saying the devil did not communicate directly with Smith - how do you know this?

I am tempted to say I am smart but if I did it is because of the fall and not by any direct temptation by satan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back