Christian response to Ouija boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tirian
Originally Posted by earl40
It was not by any direct communication from the devil for this is the superstitious aspect I am speaking against which many Christians believe.
So you're saying the devil did not communicate directly with Smith - how do you know this?
I am tempted to say I am smart but if I did it is because of the fall and not by any direct temptation by satan.

So Satan and presumably other demons are unable to manifest themselves in any way to communicate directly with people now other than through having caused a fallen state? Sounds like Satan is a concept rather than a being then.

Smith was a scam artist convicted of swindling uneducated and superstitious farmers by claiming to use a 'seeing glass' to find buried treasure. I think he just expanded on his scheme. What better connivance for a grifter than to come up with a whole new religion wherein he is the 'prophet', and he gets all the money and women? I think that happened at least once before....

Originally Posted by Tirian
Originally Posted by earl40
It was not by any direct communication from the devil for this is the superstitious aspect I am speaking against which many Christians believe.
So you're saying the devil did not communicate directly with Smith - how do you know this?
I am tempted to say I am smart but if I did it is because of the fall and not by any direct temptation by satan.

So Satan and presumably other demons are unable to manifest themselves in any way to communicate directly with people now other than through having caused a fallen state? Sounds like Satan is a concept rather than a being then.

So what does satan sound, smell or feel like? Satan is real, invisible, and non tangible to our senses which are the only way we can experience anything directly. How he influences us is spoken of in scripture and the only two humans I know of that heard and an audible voice and saw him were Our Lord Jesus and Eve who were both without sin when they saw and heard him.

Maybe a list of attributes could help us all in seeing what satan cannot do.

#1. He cannot read minds. God can.
#2. He can only be more than one place at a time. God can.
#3. He cannot foretell the future in of himself. God can.
#4. He cannot turn water into wine. God can.

All blame for our current sin falls on us as it is written. "14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire." No mention of any devil here though the fall explains perfectly why we are sinners as a result of the imputation of the guilt of Adam. I remember Walter Martin said..."there is enough evil within us all to send the world to hell". No need to use any excuse for our sin other than the one who commits said sin.

Last edited:
Earl, do you believe that Muhammad also just made up his vision of "Gabriel", rather than having a demonically-inspired vision?

Earl, do you believe that Muhammad also just made up his vision of "Gabriel", rather than having a demonically-inspired vision?

Yes I do believe such. Though I also believe it came as a result of satans work thus was "demonically-inspired". The fall was very very bad and many people are still following the devil. It is superstition that abounds in our churches that thinks Muhammed saw any angel other than the the delusions of his mind.

Earl, so Satan and demons are completely cut off from mankind except through the ongoing consequences of the fall? So they are more of a theme rather than entity? When Paul tells the Corinthians not to fellowship with demons he's talking in the abstract about continuing on in the "spirit" of the fall?

I would like to post this here from another relevant thread http://www.puritanboard.com/f64/demons-know-future-84046/

Earl she had a spirit of divination, which is meant that a devil was in her & gave her these powers, whatever or however they worked is not the point, it was not her own human spirit, it was a fallen angel which is what devils are, they are devils in name & devils in nature, that gave her this ability, your post confirms what I was suspecting from the other thread http://www.puritanboard.com/f64/christian-response-ouija-boards-84031/ that you deny the existence of evil supernaturalism by calling it superstition, this is a form of Liberalism.

OK, sure you've said that the Devil is real, but you seem to deny that he/she can or does exert spiritual power over mankind & seem to equate human sinfulness with being all that Satan's power consists of, human sinfulness is human sinfulness & evil satanic supernaturalism or spiritualism is just that a spiritual power or force which satan can exert, as God wills, over mankind, this is not superstition as you suppose.

Earl, so Satan and demons are completely cut off from mankind except through the ongoing consequences of the fall? So they are more of a theme rather than entity? When Paul tells the Corinthians not to fellowship with demons he's talking in the abstract about continuing on in the "spirit" of the fall?

Here Paul is simply stating that we are in fellowship with God or devils.

I would like to post this here from another relevant thread http://www.puritanboard.com/f64/demons-know-future-84046/

Earl she had a spirit of divination, which is meant that a devil was in her & gave her these powers, whatever or however they worked is not the point, it was not her own human spirit, it was a fallen angel which is what devils are, they are devils in name & devils in nature, that gave her this ability, your post confirms what I was suspecting from the other thread http://www.puritanboard.com/f64/christian-response-ouija-boards-84031/ that you deny the existence of evil supernaturalism by calling it superstition, this is a form of Liberalism.

OK, sure you've said that the Devil is real, but you seem to deny that he/she can or does exert spiritual power over mankind & seem to equate human sinfulness with being all that Satan's power consists of, human sinfulness is human sinfulness & evil satanic supernaturalism or spiritualism is just that a spiritual power or force which satan can exert, as God wills, over mankind, this is not superstition as you suppose.

I understand where you are coming from. I simply see that point of view as being superstitious that tears apart our moral responsibility towards God. No %10 devil and %90 me.

Either way, a fleshy puffed up mind ran with the ideas that would derail the faith of many. But what do you make of the crazed man of the Gadareens who was not able to be held by chains and even had wounds from trying to stone himself? at the risk of taking a messy swine dive into speculation...

Last edited:
But what do you make of the crazed man of the Gadareens who was not able to be held by chains and even had wounds from trying to stone himself? Merely town folks superstitions or more?
I'd call that infallible revelation, recorded in a unique time of redemptive history, preserved for us to understand the power of King Jesus Christ over all things. I have no such proof from any other extra-Scriptural experiences, mine or otherwise.

But wasn't the unique thing about the Gadarean that he was simply super strong? If so, this doesn't seem to be primarily a case of having "extra revelation." It seems he had demonic strength.

1 Kings 22 and 2 Chronicles, Chapter 18. describes 400 false prophets misleading a King and a lying spirit appearing before God getting permission. I don't know how the lying spirit handed off his deception.... through thoughts or other... it doesn't say

"...I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and on his left. 19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab the king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said one thing, and another said another. 20 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, saying, ‘I will entice him.’ And the Lord said to him, ‘By what means?’ 21 And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’ 22 Now therefore behold, the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of these your prophets. The Lord has declared disaster concerning you....”

Romans 16:20 "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you."
I lean toward the view that the serpent head is crushed as the gospel is carried by beautiful feet bringing good news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back