Christian sues USPS for job over Lord's Day delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I thought there were already laws to prevent this but this is good to see. It should also shine light on Amazon's practices which forced this on USPS. I cancelled my Amazon Prime account several years ago and checked he no "Sunday" delivery option in my account, and with less orders and that option and not ordering when I know it could possibly still deliver through USPS ignoring the Amazon preference, it hasn't happened.
https://disrn.com/news/pennsylvania-christian-sues-us-postal-service-over-mandatory-work-on-sundays

Seems like it was a few years ago that, citing costs, they were considering stopping even Saturday deliveries.

This past year I've seen a substantial increase in the Sunday USPS deliveries and I see the mail truck piled up with Amazon Prime boxes.

It furthered my resolve not to sign up for Prime.

It's hard for me to see what happens to our culture and "be ye angry and sin not."

It will be interesting to see how this case goes. I know that many places have on their application that you must be available on Sunday's. If the USPS had this seven years ago, he doesn't really have a leg to stand on religious reasons or not unfortunately.

We do use Amazon prime, but if I order anything later than Thursday (Friday or Saturday) I delay the delivery until Tuesday the following week so that they don't deliver it on Sunday. For the most part, it has worked well as far as Sunday deliveries are concerned.

As much as I agree with not being forced to work on the Lords day, I find it odd that a devout Christian would sue for 21 million in punitive damages.

Where does it say that she sued for 21 million? If I am not mistaken, the judge / jury set the punitive damages. Besides, the punitive damages are about the defendant, not the plaintiff. Usually it means that the court found that the defendant was doing something that they probably knew full was wrong but tried to get away with it anyway. Plus, it's the whole company being punished, not just the one hotel. It's meant to send a message: "this is wrong and you got caught and you're not getting away with it".

Where does it say that she sued for 21 million? If I am not mistaken, the judge / jury set the punitive damages. Besides, the punitive damages are about the defendant, not the plaintiff. Usually it means that the court found that the defendant was doing something that they probably knew full was wrong but tried to get away with it anyway. Plus, it's the whole company being punished, not just the one hotel. It's meant to send a message: "this is wrong and you got caught and you're not getting away with it".
Thanks for the clarification. I have clearly zero knowledge of the legaal system, thankfully I have been involved with any being like that.

If UPS was aware then this person may prevail. reported bad link.

Beware of that link. I had a ransom attack when I opened it. Maybe it's just me, but I had to ctl-alt-delete to task manager and stop my browser.

Everything works fine on restart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, the Post Office used to deliver on Sunday in the past when observance of the Lord’s Day was high. Or at least that’s what we tend to assume. I see that it stopped in 1912. https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...at-ended-sunday-mail-delivery-in-1912/281370/

For various reasons, other than ebooks, I rarely buy books from Amazon. I can usually get Christian books cheaper elsewhere even when accounting for shipping costs. Occasionally I’ll order business or other nonfiction books from them if they are fairly new and can’t be had for cheaper on the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just remembered this quote I read on the subject of the post office, the Sabbath and the (American) Covenanters. It is from the book Founding Sins by Joseph S. Moore, I really need to pick this one up myself.

Covenanters' first attempt to woo new allies from the expanding evangelical population into conflict with the godless federal government involved the Post Office. The conflict over Sunday mail delivery was the first time religion and politics truly collided in American national politics. The issue at hand was the use of federal facilities on Sundays. Most local postmasters were also the local merchants who sold liquor by the glass; this led to the opening of all stores on the Sabbath, since in effect it required competitors to remain open. All this mailing, drinking, and shopping violated local ordinances in highly religious towns, as well as biblical proscriptions against work and frivolity on the Sabbath. ... Opponents such as the Rev. William Morse decried Sabbatarians as "theological tyrants" who sought "to extend their influence by seeking alliance with the civil power."

... In 1810, Congress...passed a law requiring all postmasters to open their offices on any day of the week a patron requested and to sort the mail on the day it arrived. This included Sunday. Now, a federal government that once seemed distant and unobtrusive was overruling the Sabbath laws of every local town and city in the United States. Presbyterian and Congregationalist ministers set out to mobilize a petition campaign to get Congress to overturn the federal statute and protect the local moral order. Main-line Presbyterians in Washington, Pennsylvania, went so far as to put the local postmaster on trial for sin when he obeyed orders to open the mail on Sundays. ...he was expelled from fellowship.

The federal government now ordered and enforced the desecration of the Sabbath for all Americans to see. The Covenanter critique of the state thus attained its first true entry point with other Protestants. Unlike most evangelicals involved in the debate, however, for Covenanters the Sabbatarian movement was not the product of the piety reforms that grew from the Second Great Awakening. The fight was an extension of their view on the appropriate admixture of church and state. In Vermont, future governor John Mattocks spent a night in jail when he dared to travel through a Covenanter town on the Sabbath. In the Covenanter towns such as Barnet and Ryegate that became the heart of Vermont’s Sabbatarian movement, congregants signed petitions demanding that the state observe the Sabbath strictly years before the issue became a national one.

... In 1829, the US Senate commissioned a report that concluded Congress was "a civil institution, wholly destitute of religious authority," and therefore could not inject religiously motivated changes into the postal service. The authors of the report were not avowed Deists. They were both evangelical Baptists: Senator (and future vice president) Richard Johnson of Kentucky and minister (and former Senate chaplain) Obadiah Brown. Christians, they argued, observed the Sabbath on Sunday but were divided over how exactly to honor it. Jews celebrated the Sabbath from Friday to Saturday nights. Whose Sabbath would the government choose, and how? "The Jewish government was a theocracy," they posited, but the American Constitution set up "a civil, and not a religious institution." The Founders had wisely withheld from the federal government the power "to determine what are the laws of God." Jacksonian Democrats roundly condemned Sabbatarians as religious meddlers offering the "first salvo of a campaign to reunite church and state." Andrew Jackson himself considered resisting Sabbatarianism one of his presidency's great achievements. Most Baptists, as part of their long-standing resistance of church-state communion, rejected an active role in Sabbatarian agitation.

The failure of the Sabbath movement, RPs claimed, proved that American politicians believed that "the law of God does not bind the government of the United States." Sabbatarianism, unsuccessful though it was, became a proving ground for evangelical action in politics. Early political agitators began mastering the techniques of political mobilization such as petition drives and mailing lists. Many leaders, especially Covenanters, became prominent in the next wave of Christian politics, which formed the abolitionist movement.

Taken from Joseph S. Moore, Founding Sins,
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/founding-sins-9780190269241?cc=us&lang=en&

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back