Christmas and consumerism

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, do you give gifts? If so, what do you think of the absolute rampant consumerism? Does giving gifts especially children (well even adults too) breed a sense of entitlement? Where does gift giving turn into sin or bad stewardship for all parties involved?
Being in retail has really poisoned me against Christmas honestly, here in American and it seems its being exported to other countries. I certainly do not want to seem as one full of piety, I am not. However, for years I have expected nothing nor do I need or want absolutely anything. If either come up I buy it myself at that time. A friend who showed me the documentary Minimalism I have always sort of agreed with, at least for myself.

Christmas is a national day of gift-giving, therefore, it's consumerism is inherent. The same would be true if Halloween, or Independence Day, or Easter were national gift-giving days. I think it is a good thing that our nation has a traditional gift-giving day. Maybe the problem is the way the tradition of giving gifts is mixed in with the worship of Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back