christmas carols

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
I was wondering what your favourite carol would be and why. I love O come all ye faithful particularly the verse

God of God
Light of Lights
Lo he abhors not the virgins womb
Very God
Begotten not created

I find it a shame that some modern version omit this verse yet you have Christology summed up in 5 lines and sung in 20 seconds or so.

I also like Charles Wesley's Hark the Herald Angels Sing and the verse

Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate deity
Pleased as man, with man to dwell
Jesus our Immanuel.

It would remind you of John's prologue of the Word becoming flesh and dwelling amongst us.

[video=youtube;8UGaDcQcFKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGaDcQcFKk[/video]

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.

I've always like "O Holy Night" the best.

[video=youtube;EZFxG6-WSnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFxG6-WSnI[/video]

Hmmmm.....it's very interesting that the "Cat" who is now a Muslim is singing such a blatently Christian hymn. Would that the Holy Spirit make those lyrics come alive in his spirit and be a means of leading him to saving faith.

Hmmmm.....it's very interesting that the "Cat" who is now a Muslim is singing such a blatently Christian hymn. Would that the Holy Spirit make those lyrics come alive in his spirit and be a means of leading him to saving faith.

I agree, but if you are talking about Sufjan Stevens, he is not related to Cat Stevens. Sufjan is from Michigan, is definitely a Christian, and seems to be an Anglican with Reformed leanings.

More than a carol, it's Handel's Messiah:

[video=youtube;nnHksDFHTQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHksDFHTQI[/video]

The Messiah is one of my favorite pieces of music. But Hark the Herald Angels sing is probably my favorite christmas Hymn.

Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled
"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Christ by highest heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel
"Glory to the newborn King
!"

Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth

"Glory to the newborn King!"

I have never liked the song Silent Night. I don't know why. It is one that most people enjoy but I have always found it lacking.

I agree, but if you are talking about Sufjan Stevens, he is not related to Cat Stevens. Sufjan is from Michigan, is definitely a Christian, and seems to be an Anglican with Reformed leanings.

Really??? I thought Cat took the name Sufjan when he converted - very interesting! I haven't heard him for ages, definitely not since he went over to the dark side but I thought the voice on the clip sounded like him. I'll have to listen to it again when I have the time. He was one of my favorite singers in my previous life.

Really??? I thought Cat took the name Sufjan when he converted - very interesting! I haven't heard him for ages, definitely not since he went over to the dark side but I thought the voice on the clip sounded like him. I'll have to listen to it again when I have the time. He was one of my favorite singers in my previous life.

Actually, I haven't listened to much Cat Stevens (have listened to a lot of Sufjan), but I have heard that they sound similar. Sufjan is often thought to be his son, though he is not. The story behind Sufjan's name, I think, is that his parents were into some inter-faith religion when he was born -- but he is now a Christian.

"I Know that My Redeemer Lives" from Messiah is my favorite piece of music. For Christmas carols, I love the Hyfrydol tune, but "Joy to the World" probably tops out as my overall favorite hymn:

No more let sins and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground; he comes to make his blessings flow far as the curse is found, far as the curse is found, far as, far as the curse is found.

He rules the world with truth and gace, and makes the nations prove the glories of his righteousness and wonders of his love ....

I'll admit it. I like Carol of the Bells. :)

Hark, the herald angels sing
Oh, come all ye faithful
Silent Night
It came upon a midnight clear
O, holy night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back