Christmas Tree Poll

Will there be a tree in your home this year?

• Yes

Votes: 52 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReederKidsMom

Puritan Board Freshman
Who is planning on putting up a Christmas tree this up coming season? My husband and I were discussing this topic this morning, and I was just curious as to who decorates their home with a tree. I understand this has been a debate before I was just wondering how many people do and how many don't.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get out all my Rudolph, Frosty and Santa items out of the closet. :D

I saw a pink tree in Walmart that was retro pink, and the tree was made of feathers. Looked very wild.

Who is planning on putting up a Christmas tree this up coming season? My husband and I were discussing this topic this morning, and I was just curious as to who decorates their home with a tree. I understand this has been a debate before I was just wondering how many people do and how many don't.

I voted yes, we just got a new one from Fingerhut with all the lights already on it.

I voted yes. If I were in my own place there would not be, but since not, yes, there will be a tree. I would prefer to not have any trappings of the season; however, the tree is not an idol, it is a seasonal decoration that has lost just as much contact with paganism as the names of the days of the week have. Therefore I can live with it for a few weeks.

Totally serious.

Take Christ out of Christmas (thus XMAS) and you have a holiday like Groundhog day, Memorial day or Washington's birthday.

See this article: http://www.apuritansmind.com/Christmas/Christmas.htm
The Regulative Principle and Christmas
by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

I appreciate the clarification. Just to make sure I am reading you right: so you intentionally take Christ out of Christmas and celebrate the season just as you would Groundhog Day, Memorial Day or Washington's Birthday?

I appreciate the clarification. Just to make sure I am reading you right: so you intentionally take Christ out of Christmas and celebrate the season just as you would Groundhog Day, Memorial Day or Washington's Birthday?

You got it.

Mistle toe, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Yule Tide Carols being sung by a choir, and folks, dressed up like eskimoes....everybody knows.... :sing: :lol:

We love green and red. The halls get decked out every year.

I'm not celebrating satan, nimrod, solstice, yule, or the birth of Jesus. We just love the tree and the tradition of decorating it. We love the smell, the ornaments, the memories, hey I even like the sticky sap. We've collected ornaments through out the years and each has so many memories. We will read the story of the incarnation from the Bible because I just love that story. We'll bake cookies with the kids and hang stockings. We'll watch the Polar Express and drink hot cocoa.

Well, I guess I could put buddah or krishna on a shelf in the center of the living room and just enjoy their presence rather than worship them....

:canofworms:

(yes, I know...I'm being a pain)

You got it.

Mistle toe, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Yule Tide Carols being sung by a choir, and folks, dressed up like eskimoes....everybody knows.... :sing: :lol:

We love green and red. The halls get decked out every year.

So I assume there will be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting, and caroling out in the snow.

Oh and don't forget there will be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of christmases long, long ago.

Hmm, I wonder what scary ghost stories we should tell this year...

:)

I think his article above states it quite plainly:

Scripture everywhere condemns idolatry, but the argument that because something has pagan roots is no argument against Christmas.

With his appeal being to 1 Corinthians 8:1-13.

Paul's Conscience was clear, mine is clear, and from what I understand from Rev McMahon's above, his clear:

Hoist that Tree ! Let's just see if we can all find the Perfect Tree in the Spirit of Chevy Chase.

So I assume there will be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting, and caroling out in the snow.

Oh and don't forget there will be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of christmases long, long ago.

Hmm, I wonder what scary ghost stories we should tell this year...

:)

Scary Ghost stories - simple - "A Chirstmas Carol" - Dickens!
Its just not Xmas without Dicken's.

Bah Humbug!

Yep. Tree here. I put lights on all the way around the house. You can see it for miles.

Chris and Kara, you guys can come over and see our tree. We'll have the eggnog :cheers: and stockings, gingerbread houses, wreaths, more eggnog.:cheers: :cheers:

No idols here, just most of the Christmas trappings!

Yes, folks, I know we should celebrate the incarnation of Messiah every day.

We do!

You know...I don't have a problem with homey decor, getting together, or food. I have a problem with that thing that we like to decorate and stick in the middle of the living room.

I'm sorry. I have nothing but positive regards for your posts that I've read. And I respect your opinion on the issue.

Please forgive me if I've offended you. My wife tells me I shouldn't post when I'm in an ornery mood. Shame we can't see the "current moods" anymore.

:handshake:

I'm sorry. I have nothing but positive regards for your posts that I've read. And I respect your opinion on the issue.

Please forgive me if I've offended you. My wife tells me I shouldn't post when I'm in an ornery mood. Shame we can't see the "current moods" anymore.

:handshake:

You didn't offend me...I'm ornery today too!

No.

Jer 10:2-4 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

I'm waiting for the Reeder's to weigh in on this. Just like them to stir things up and then sit on the sidelines and watch the fun. :lol:

Jer 10:2-4 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

That's a christmas tree???? Well then.....

Ex. 20:4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

And this verse tells us not to make ornaments in the shape of anything. And not to take photographs of anyone or anything, by film or digitally, moving or still. Don't even try to draw a likeness with a pen or a crayon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back