Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Knox

Puritan Board Freshman
Do you celebrate it?

The Puritans and Scottish Presbyterians traditionally didn't, but what do most Reformed churches do today?

I know the Church of Scotland celebrates it, but you could hardly call it Reformed any more.

So how do you view Christmas? Do you see it as a pagan festival and a remnant of Popery? Or do you believe it's good to have a day to focus on Jesus' birth and the values associated with Christmas etc?

Hi John!

Not sure how much of a response you will get to your questions, not because people don't care but only because the topic of Christmas has already been discussed ad nauseum on an annual basis around here. With a little searching you will likely find more than you ever dreamed on the subject.

As far as myself, I personally see no religious significance in Christmas day. The history of how 'practicing Christmas' came about is regrettable to begin with, however it has evolved into something very different, culturally speaking. With that said, I don't think there is much of a connection with the original intent and what remains today. Of this remnant, I don't have a big problem with those who wish to partake of a time of joy and giving, even though it is infected with commercial pretenses and so forth. However, I just don't care for it as 'cultural season'. I like family, children getting gifts, and all that, but beyond this it is not my favorite time of year simply because it sets apart a theme of 'feel-good-ism' that has no real substance. If we are to live in peace, joy, and love, let us do so all year long--and do so in Christ.

I don't think it should be celebrated within the corporate church, but I have no problem with celebrating in your home or even, much to the chagrin of some, with celebrating it as a Christ-centered occasion for your own personal edification and perhaps witness...

But couldn't Christmas be considered a valuable evangelism tool...because of the fact that so many people who do not usually attend church find the time to go to a New Year's Eve or Sunday service around Christmas?

But couldn't Christmas be considered a valuable evangelism tool...because of the fact that so many people who do not usually attend church find the time to go to a New Year's Eve or Sunday service around Christmas?

Perhaps, but if God saves people through means he disapproves of, he does so in spite of them, not because of them. For example, I was saved because I prayed a prayer that was printed in the Left Behind: Kids books. God despises a method of evangelism that seemingly puts the power of salvation in the prayer's hands, not Christ's. Yet it still pleased him to save me in that way because he is a completely sovereign God that does what he pleases despite the destructive plans of man. He overturns man's foolish plans.

Similarly, I think that God does not approve of his people worshipping him in a way he has not permitted; yet it may please him to send unbelievers to a church on Xmas and here the gospel preach there and come to a saving knowledge of Him, in spite of its shortcomings.

I've learned on the Board here the way this might be looked at, from the standpoint of not marking "holy" days other than the sabbath, is that it violates the second commandment to mark a day for worship or adoration that is not so marked in Scripture.

Now from a utilitarian standpoint, many things might be used for evangelism- dances, dramatic interpretation, even a wrestling match. But the focus would be on celebrating something as "holy" without express Scriptural warrant to do so.

Understand, I'm only trying to present that view, not necessarily advocating it.

Past threads have gone into detailed examination of what the Puritans did and did not celebrate, the pagan origins and influences on Christmas, and the sanctity of the second commandment.

This was a new argument to many of us, who have long seen the non-believing world as the ones wanting to take the spiritual meaning out of Christmas. But here, you will find some godly, biblical people completely opposed to celebrating it.

It's an overwhelming concept if you have not considered it- as a perusal of the earlier threads will help you understand.:)

I've learned on the Board here the way this might be looked at, from the standpoint of not marking "holy" days other than the sabbath, is that it violates the second commandment to mark a day for worship or adoration that is not so marked in Scripture.

Now from a utilitarian standpoint, many things might be used for evangelism- dances, dramatic interpretation, even a wrestling match. But the focus would be on celebrating something as "holy" without express Scriptural warrant to do so.

Understand, I'm only trying to present that view, not necessarily advocating it.

Past threads have gone into detailed examination of what the Puritans did and did not celebrate, the pagan origins and influences on Christmas, and the sanctity of the second commandment.

This was a new argument to many of us, who have long seen the non-believing world as the ones wanting to take the spiritual meaning out of Christmas. But here, you will find some godly, biblical people completely opposed to celebrating it.

It's an overwhelming concept if you have not considered it- as a perusal of the earlier threads will help you understand.:)

Thank you for your response....this is without a doubt a new concept to me. I have been in the church my whole life and have never really thought twice about whether or not we should, as Christians, celebrate Christmas. Like you said I always assumed it was the secular world trying to remove Christ from a Christian Holiday.

I did read some about the history of Christmas (only some though) and it seems that the Christian origin of Christmas goes back to the early Christians trying to focus holidays honoring pagan gods back on the true God, and specifically on the Messiah, Christ.

It reminds me of Paul in Acts 17

Acts 17:22-24 (English Standard Version)

Paul Addresses the Areopagus

22So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: "Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, 'To the unknown god.' What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man,

I "celebrate" Christmas for the same reasons that I "celebrate" Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Veterans Day, the 4th of July, Memorial Day, President's Day, family birthdays, etc. Days off from work, spent with family, giving and receiving gifts, eating food, laughing, and thanking our good and provident God for his many mercies to me and to mine.

Even in my broadest of broad evangelical days, I never saw Christmas as a "holy day" in the sense that should have offended my conscience.

When we moved to our neighborhood in 2001 we started a tradition that has been in different homes each year. It was our turn again this year to host the annual neighborhood Christmas party. The neighbors can't help but notice the symbolism of our home decorations--definitely not secular. My husband prayed before the buffet meal set out on a covered pool table--dishes everyone had brought. Time for the neighbors! I am glad we started this tradition. If we did not have or participate in this neighborhood tradition, would our neighbors think we are not Christians now? One Catholic neighbor bought my spiritual memoir, Getting Off the Niceness Treadmill, at that party and we look forward to discussing it with him.

Christmas is the only time of the year that christians have a free pass to talk about our faith openly with everyone. I honestly canèt imagine why someone would not take advantage of the season.

Is it a pagan festival and a remnant of Popery? Yes.

Is it a good day to focus on Jesus' birth and the values associated with Christmas etc? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back