Chrysostom on a rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Chrysostom (349-407): And a rule admits neither addition, nor subtraction, since that destroys its being a rule. NPNF1: Vol. XIII, Homilies on the Epistle of Paul to the Philippians, Homily XII, Comments on Philippians 3:16.
Greek text: Ὁ κανὼν οὔτε πρόσθεσιν, οὔτε ἀφαίρεσιν δέχεται, ἐπεὶ τὸ κανὼν εἶναι ἀπόλλυσι. In Epistolam Ad Philippenses Comentarius, Caput III, Homilia XII, PG 62:273.

DTK

Chrysostom (349-407): And a rule admits neither addition, nor subtraction, since that destroys its being a rule. NPNF1: Vol. XIII, Homilies on the Epistle of Paul to the Philippians, Homily XII, Comments on Philippians 3:16.
Greek text: Ὁ κανὼν οὔτε πρόσθεσιν, οὔτε ἀφαίρεσιν δέχεται, ἐπεὶ τὸ κανὼν εἶναι ἀπόλλυσι. In Epistolam Ad Philippenses Comentarius, Caput III, Homilia XII, PG 62:273.

DTK

Is this something he said about "the rule of faith" for example? And is there any application of this to what might be called "development'?

I would take it to be a simple observation, a truism. Change a rule, and it isn't the same rule anymore.

As to his referent, I suspect it is the Bible alone.

Is this something he said about "the rule of faith" for example? And is there any application of this to what might be called "development'?

John,

Chrysostom was speaking of the substance of a rule as something that is fixed, unalterable. Nonetheless, in context, I would argue that Chrysostom does make reference to Scripture here as God's "precepts."

Chrysostom: Ver. 16. "Only, whereunto we have already attained, by that same rule let us walk, let us mind the same thing."

"Only, whereunto we have attained." What means this? Let us hold fast, he saith, that in which we have succeeded; love, concord, and peace: for in this we have succeeded. "Whereto we have attained: to walk by the same rule, to mind the same thing." "Whereunto we have attained," i.e. in this we have already succeeded. Seest thou, that he wills that his precepts should be a rule to us? And a rule admits neither addition, nor subtraction, since that destroys its being a rule. "By the same rule," i.e. by the same faith, within the same limits.

The only application to development would be anything that adds to or diminishes from the rule itself. Hence, any developmental accretion beyond that which can be sustained by Holy Scripture would be in view.

Elsewhere Chrysostom does refer to Scripture as the "rule for all things"...

Chrysostom (349-407): Let us not therefore carry about the notions of the many, but examine into the facts. For how is it not absurd that in respect to money, indeed, we do not trust to others, but refer this to figures and calculation; but in calculating upon facts we are lightly drawn aside by the notions of others; and that too, though we possess an exact (precise, ἀκριβῆ ) balance, and square and rule for all things, the declaration of the divine laws? Wherefore I exhort and entreat you all, disregard what this man and that man thinks about these things, and inquire from the Scriptures all these things; and having learnt what are the true riches, let us pursue after them that we may obtain also the eternal good things; which may we all obtain, through the grace and love towards men of our Lord Jesus Christ, with Whom, to the Father and the Holy Spirit, be glory, might, and honor, now and ever, and world without end. Amen. NPNF1: Vol. XII, Homilies on Second Corinthians, Homily 13.
Greek text: Μὴ τοίνυν τὰς τῶν πολλῶν δόξας περιφέρωμεν, ἀλλὰ τὰ πράγματα ἐξετάζωμεν. Πῶς γὰρ οὐκ ἄτοπον ὑπὲρ μὲν χρημάτων μὴ ἑτέροις πιστεύειν, ἀλλʼ ἀριθμῷ καὶ ψήφῳ τοῦτο ἐπιτρέπειν• ὑπὲρ δὲ πραγμάτων ψηφιζομένους, ἁπλῶς ταῖς ἑτέρων παρασύρεσθαι δόξαις, καὶ ταῦτα ἀκριβῆ ζυγὸν ἁπάντων ἔχοντας καὶ γνώμονα καὶ κανόνα, τῶν θείων νόμων τὴν ἀπόφασιν; Διὸ παρακαλῶ καὶ δέομαι πάντων ὑμῶν, ἀφέντες τί τῷ δεῖνι δοκεῖ περὶ τούτων, παρὰ τῶν Γραφῶν ταῦτα ἅπαντα πυνθάνεσθε, καὶ τὸν ἀληθῆ πλοῦτον μαθόντες, τοῦτον διώκωμεν, ἵνα καὶ τῶν αἰωνίων ἐπιτύχωμεν ἀγαθῶν· ὧν γένοιτο πάντας ἡμᾶς ἐπιτυχεῖν, χάριτι καὶ φιλανθρωπίᾳ τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, μεθ' οὗ τῷ Πατρὶ ἅμα τῷ ἁγίῳ Πνεύματι δόξα, κράτος, τιμὴ, νῦν καὶ ἀεὶ, καὶ εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων. Ἀμήν. In Secundam Ad Corinthios Epistolam Commentarius, Homilia XIII, PG 61:496-498.

I pray you and yours are all well,
DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back