Church Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanny01

Puritan Board Freshman
Just wondering if anybody has some words of advice for future plans. I'm finishing my last semester of undergraduate at St. Cloud State University in Saint Cloud, MN. The church I'm a part of here is the same church I've been a member at for almost 3 years now. It can best be described as the elders being broadly 'reformed' and baptistic. If I were to stay in St. Cloud I could possibly teach at the Classical Academy that the church has been running for a couple years now. This is where the question comes in. Over the past year and a half, my theology has become much more refined from a Piper influenced calvinistic theology to a personal full subscription to the 1689 London Baptist Confession (through personal reading). My assumption of the church is that it would fit within a Progressive Covenantal stream and its conclusions on the Sabbath, Worship, and the like reflect that. Not holding to a Lord's Day Sabbath, the regulative principle, covenant theology, moral law, etc. are just topics that aren't addressed and that is saddening for me. However I did become a Christian through this church, have some solid friends, the church is baptistic/calvinist, and they seek to live in light of the gospel of Christ in daily life. In light of this at the moment I'm split as to what to do after college. There are no confessional churches in St. Cloud so the thought of moving to either Fargo, ND or the Twin Cities where there are confessional churches has had varying degrees of draw to me for after school.
Words of advice for my situation would be beneficial for thinking through this would be helpful. Thanky you!

I got cold just reading your post. Or maybe it's because I'm sitting under the air conditioner vent.

Back to your question. It sounds like you were at a great church when you were at the milk stage, but now you are ready for meat, and it sounds like you will have trouble getting that where you are. That's reason enough to be open to moving.

Have you SEEN the movie Fargo? Boring from what I remember. Like, all I remember is snow and wind and weird accents. Luckily for you it wasn't filmed in Fargo. Here's the thing. The film captured the landscape and the general "social fabric" of Fargo (boring and cold), but since no one actually wanted to go there to film, they found a place that was just like it (boring and cold!).....you got it.....Minneapolis hahahaha! I say, "Think warm." lol

The presence of a great church is surely a big plus when deciding where to live, but it won't always be the determining factor. So I don't think there's an absolute answer to your question.

The only thing I will say with certainty is this: It's important not to become a disgruntled churchgoer. So either move to a place where there's a church you like, or make sure you are grateful for the church God's has given you in the place he has put you, despite its faults. Retain an overall sense of thanksgiving and a supportive attitude, as befits a member of Christ.

I’d think about work. Go to graduate school somewhere or look for a job near places close to a church more in line with your views. First, speak to your elders on the points on which you differ. Consider Scripture and the history of reformed dogmatics. Maybe you’re wrong. Maybe you’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's something charming about late winter nights in Minnesota when its below zero, absolutely silent, yet an absolutely clear sky with stars. That may be the one redeeming part of winter. :2cents:

Anyways, thanks for the answers. Helpful food for thought!

I think there's something charming about late winter nights in Minnesota when its below zero, absolutely silent, yet an absolutely clear sky with stars. That may be the one redeeming part of winter. :2cents:

Anyways, thanks for the answers. Helpful food for thought!
I agree. We live a couple miles from an active railway and on some winter nights it seems the train is in our yard. There is also something unique about bird activity in winter. We feed the little song birds who give endless delight with their antics flying through and landing in snow. Winter slows us down, encourages early and long sleep, nourishing food and a grateful heart toward, God, who created this wonderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back