Church Bookstores/Tables Open on Sundays

Is it lawful for a church to sell books on the Lord's Day?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
Not sure whether to stick this in Law of God, Ecclesiology or General.

interesting point about the bookstore in the church only open on Sunday....can we start a new thread about it? I am intrigued.
Your wish is my command, Pergy.

Is it lawful for a church to sell books on Sunday?

sure why not. Just don't charge for profit and make sure to have free stuff also for those people who cannot afford it (i.e. the cheap 1.50 dollar version of Holliness of God, sermon CDs, Tracts, copies of Sinner's in the Hands of the Angry God, ect...). But I would be careful because my former church had a problem of people (professing Christians) stealing books and doing it in the name of "tools for sanctification and its wrong to charge" even though my pastor sold under cost.

I have been in a Church where study materials have been sold for Sunday School courses, I do not have a real issue as long as books are sold at cost, it is in another area AWAY from the Sanctuary, books are made free to those who cannot afford them, and it is not disruptive.:2cents:

This may be somewhat of a side note to the question.

Personally I don't feel that the Church can or should enforce any sabbath laws in any way shape or form. The sabbath was not given to the Church. The sabbath was given to Adam (mankind) in the creation. Jesus also confirms this when he say's "the sabbath was made for man."
The commandment is to work 6 days and rest the 7th..thus keeping the sabbath (rest day) seperate (holy) from the other 6.

I suppose that if your normal 6 day work is buying books, then buying books on the sabbath would be breaking the sabbath. Or, if someones 6 day work week was selling books in the church book store, then doing so on the sabbath would be breaking the sabbath. But, a blanket statement or binding law that buying a book on Sunday is sin is pharisaical, in my opinion.

I believe that if a person desires to stay consistent with the ordinances involved in moving the Sabbath to the Lord's Day that a person would not buy on Sunday.

This is a work of mercy in my understanding as long as it is not for profit, this would take away the business aspect. I also like Joshua's idea, this further's it as a work of mercy by giving people the option of paying later. Some folks travel 50 miles to church on Sunday, I think they should be allowed to purchase a book for there edification.

We have a book table where people can purchase books on the honor system, and we have a library table where people can check books out to read..most people check them out and read them as opposed to buying them.

We also have a small table with various reformed bible studies for sale for like $4 per book, with a cash box sitting on the table, but I think they took the cash box down recently, because we've had people come in during the service (who we assume are not members) and steal some things that were left out..

I have a hard time understanding why it would be necessary for a church bookstore to be open on the Lord's day. In a day and age where books are so abundant and easily obtained (internet, counteless bookstores etc.), it seems that it is not a lack of availability of them, but rather a lack of them being read (an appropriate activity for the Lord's day). :2cents:

Not very sure, but would this verse have any bearing?

Matthew 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

If this church bookstore is being run as a part of the ministry of the church, would it be allowable even on the sabbath day?

Not very sure, but would this verse have any bearing?

Matthew 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

If this church bookstore is being run as a part of the ministry of the church, would it be allowable even on the sabbath day?

I was wondering the same thing myself. In the same vein?
When thou comest into thy neighbour's vineyard, then thou mayest eat grapes thy fill at thine own pleasure; but thou shalt not put any in thy vessel.
25 When thou comest into the standing corn of thy neighbour, then thou mayest pluck the ears with thine hand; but thou shalt not move a sickle unto thy neighbour's standing corn.
Deut 23:24-25 (KJV)
free books?

If there is a class at church using a book, if the class members are drawn from a large geographic area, if the class only meets Sundays and the book is sold below cost, I see no problem with having a spot in or next to the church office to receive payments. Since checks are written and tithing receipts are counted, how would this be different? :2cents:

If the bookstore is non-profit and the workers are volunteers, I don't see a problem with a church selling edifying books on the Lord's Day...

Last edited:
Selling Christian books should only be done on the other 6 days.
Richard my friend, I would agree as a "general principal" but in the example that I used it was where I went to a tiny Anglican Church that was so small, we only had Sunday services, as for ordering the books elsewhere, well, some were written by our Bishops or old reprints from a small press held by the denomination, there really were not many options! :):2cents: Pax.

Is it a "work of necessity ... mercy?" Is it something that could be more readily done Saturday evening or Monday morning?...maybe they should consider opening the book room/store Saturday evenings, Monday mornings...

I would consider it a work of mercy because the book table/store just might attract new believers, or even sincerely curious unbelievers, who might be visiting the church on the Lord's Day. Both of these categories of people especially need edifying Christian literature to read.

Also, why should the table/store be open on Saturday evenings or Monday mornings? Why should people have to make a special trip to the church, when they're going to be there on Sunday anyway? And who's going to staff such a store on Monday, when most people who could do that have to go to work?

Selling edifying Christian literature (no "Jesus junk" please!) should be considered a ministry of the church, in my opinion.

The confession states that the Lord's Day is for worship, and works of necessity and mercy. All books sold at a Church bookstore (is this a biblical ministry?) are available at other venues and outlets any other day of the week, where they can be bought--there is no necessity to buy on the Sabbath. As for mercy, if a book is really needed, give it away, or loan it. We have a Church library where the people are encouraged to check out books for their study. (Nehemiah 13.10ff)

The confession states that the Lord's Day is for worship, and works of necessity and mercy. All books sold at a Church bookstore (is this a biblical ministry?) are available at other venues and outlets any other day of the week, where they can be bought--there is no necessity to buy on the Sabbath. As for mercy, if a book is really needed, give it away, or loan it. We have a Church library where the people are encouraged to check out books for their study. (Nehemiah 13.10ff)
With due respect I would like you to consider Post 17, we did not have a true library, the books sometimes needed for Sunday School were self published and the church was SO tiny, it only had Sunday services, we had no other options. Grace and Peace.

I was a member of a large church in london which has a big bookshop which runs as a business and has a paid staff - except it does not make profits, it just pays for its premises and salaries. However, on saturdays for four hours and sundays for one hour after the evening meeting, it is staffed on a voluntary basis.

The church discourages members who could purchase on other days from doing so, but recognises that many come a distance and have no other opportunity due to their busy schedules etc. Mostly folk meet in the 'shop' to fellowship and talk about books together. The church also withdraws from the shop anything that is secondary - like book covers, pencils, bookmarks etc - just for the Lord's Day, so that they can say that people are only purchasing what they need and could not defer to another time.

I tend to agree with this balanced approach.

I was a member of a large church in london which has a big bookshop which runs as a business and has a paid staff - except it does not make profits, it just pays for its premises and salaries. However, on saturdays for four hours and sundays for one hour after the evening meeting, it is staffed on a voluntary basis.

The church discourages members who could purchase on other days from doing so, but recognises that many come a distance and have no other opportunity due to their busy schedules etc. Mostly folk meet in the 'shop' to fellowship and talk about books together. The church also withdraws from the shop anything that is secondary - like book covers, pencils, bookmarks etc - just for the Lord's Day, so that they can say that people are only purchasing what they need and could not defer to another time.

I tend to agree with this balanced approach.
I agree Jonathan, I agree with balance as well. As you noted sometime certain circumstances might prevent a person from having everything they might need on a given Sunday, is such cases, if the Church can provide what is needful, I see no harm.:2cents::) Grace and Peace.

I find this thread interesting since I intend to start a bookstore and/or library once we get into our own building.

With due respect I would like you to consider Post 17, we did not have a true library, the books sometimes needed for Sunday School were self published and the church was SO tiny, it only had Sunday services, we had no other options. Grace and Peace.

Dear ET,

With equal respect I would simply state that Sabbath observance is a moral issue, commanded by God Himself, and to be obeyed by His people. As with any commandment, there will be inconveniences that will accrue in the observance of the commandment. I cannot speak to your "tiny Anglican Church" circumstance. I was not there, and cannot know the details nor the level of commitment to the 4th Commandment held by the people and officers. Very seldom though, in my opinion, are there "no options" if our commitments are for keeping the Sabbath Day. Yes, there will be inconveniences, but the greatest inconvenience is to be preferred to the least sin. If we begin there, we will be better equipped to honor the Lord in His commandments.

Blessings, dear brother.

Dear ET,

With equal respect I would simply state that Sabbath observance is a moral issue, commanded by God Himself, and to be obeyed by His people. As with any commandment, there will be inconveniences that will accrue in the observance of the commandment. I cannot speak to your "tiny Anglican Church" circumstance. I was not there, and cannot know the details nor the level of commitment to the 4th Commandment held by the people and officers. Very seldom though, in my opinion, are there "no options" if our commitments are for keeping the Sabbath Day. Yes, there will be inconveniences, but the greatest inconvenience is to be preferred to the least sin. If we begin there, we will be better equipped to honor the Lord in His commandments.

Blessings, dear brother.

I see you're point. I can't imagine there being an absolute need for buying a book on Sunday. I understand that some people drive long distances to attend worship (that's another issue all together). I don't see the need.

We have a large literature table at the back of the room before, during and after our new preaching station's services, stocked with pamphlets, tracts and magazines that were given to us by Presbytery or the denomination, or that my husband and I bought in Grand Rapids... People are welcome simply to take them; they're free, but if someone wants to make a donation because they're taking something with them, they can put it in the offering box and it'll be deposited into the preaching station's bank account...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back