Church Brochure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
Not that many folks (at least outside of the Carolinas) are familiar with the ARP. For a long while, we were the only ARP church in the state of Kentucky! Since the denomination is so unknown to most folks, I'm trying to write a short pamphlet that will explain some of the distinctives of the ARP. The purpose of this is primarily to be informational.

I would appreciate feedback from PBers. Also, if you see anything confusing (or any spelling/writing/grammatical errors), please let me know.

Here is the essential text from the pamphlet:

WHAT’S AN ARP?
By Rev. Tim Phillips

Presbyterianism can be a regular alphabet soup of denominational names. What makes the Associate Reformed Presbyterian (ARP) Church different from all the rest? This short pamphlet is designed to explain the unique characteristics of the ARP Church.

The key to understanding the ARP Church is found in the name itself. Looking at each letter of the name (in reverse order) explains the historical origins of this denomination.

P – The “P” stands for Presbyterian. This refers to a form of church government that means “rule by elders.” The local congregation elects godly men who oversee the spiritual welfare of the church members. These elders also represent the church in regional groups known as presbyteries. Presbyterianism, while being a biblical form of church government (see Acts 15; 1 Timothy 3; Titus 1), also has its origins in the Church of Scotland, particularly in the teachings of the Scottish Reformer John Knox in the 16th century. In Presbyterianism, elders represent the churches at meetings of regional groups (known as presbyteries). These presbyteries help the churches to be linked together so that they are able to function in a more efficient manner than they could individually. Thus, the ARP is a biblical, historical, and connected denomination.

R – The “R” stands for Reformed. This term is a reference to the Scottish Covenanters of the 17th century. The name “Covenanters” is derived from the fact that members of this group bound themselves to covenants (solemn, binding vows) in order to preserve the advances of the Protestant Reformation in Scotland. In part, the Covenanters were resisting the desire of the English crown to control the Church of Scotland. They refused to acknowledge the king as head of the Church. As a result, many Covenanters lost their lives during this time of struggle, especially during the period of the 1680s known as the “Killing Time.” Thus, the ARP is a denomination that is defined by its faithfulness to Jesus Christ alone as Head of the Church.

A – The “A” stands for Associate. This term has its origins in the 18th century in the Church of Scotland. A group of faithful ministers (most notably the brothers Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine) sought to stand firm against theological errors that had slowly crept into the Church of Scotland. The ministers were concerned that the gospel of Jesus Christ was not being rightly preached in the pulpits in Scotland. They desired to make sure the gospel of Jesus Christ was freely and faithfully proclaimed, such that all men and women everywhere were called to hear the good news of Jesus Christ, repent of their sin, trust in Him alone for salvation. Not wishing to depart entirely from the Church of Scotland, but also desiring to preach the gospel in their land, these men (who were called Seceders) separated from the Church and formed an associate presbytery.

So what is an ARP?
Members of the ARP Church belong to an historical denomination (the ARP has existed in the United States since 1782) committed to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The ARP is conservative, evangelical, and confessional. The ARP holds to the authority and inerrancy of the Bible, the need for the gospel to proclaimed at all times to all people in all places, and the necessity of being united in the historic Protestant faith as outlined in our confessional documents, the Westminster Standards.

If you would like more information on the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, please feel free to contact the church listed below:

That's the gist of it. If you would like to see an actual copy of the pamphlet, PM me with your email address and I'll shoot you a copy.

I appreciate how it sums up the history and conviction of the ARP without bogging us down in too much information. As a brochure for information, it fits the bill nicely!

Very good, Tim. Now, hire a church marketer, put the word "missional" in there several times, and you are on your way! :D

I like it. But, you really need to add the work 'relevant' to it in at least every other sentence.

Very good article. Easy to read and very informative.

For what it's worth, my dad is from a small East Texas town called Arp (I kid you not, it's in the almanac) and he is buried at Ebenezer Cemetery. I have no idea, where either place got their name.:book2:

Very good article. Easy to read and very informative.

For what it's worth, my dad is from a small East Texas town called Arp (I kid you not, it's in the almanac) and he is buried at Ebenezer Cemetery. I have no idea, where either place got their name.:book2:

OK, that's kind of freaky. The ARP used to have a whole Texas Presbytery way back when (there are a few church now again, after several replanting efforts). And the first church I pastored (in MS) was named Ebenezer and had a cemetery. Of course, virtually every presbytery of the ARP has a church named Ebenezer...

Thanks for the info! Pamphlets can be a good source of getting out info in a quick and precise manner.

Good job!

I was in the ARP for years & would have loved to have had some of those.

I was in the ARP for years & would have loved to have had some of those.

That is my desire. After the finished product, I wish to make these available to all ARPs who want a copy (at no charge, of course).

After sending a proof to one of my old church history professors, I am going to change the "R" section slightly so that more of a connection is made with the Protestant Reformation. The "Reformed" in the name more properly refers to the Covenanters as I described, but more of a connection with the Reformed principles (which the Covenanters stood for) also needs to be made.

Not that many folks (at least outside of the Carolinas) are familiar with the ARP. For a long while, we were the only ARP church in the state of Kentucky! Since the denomination is so unknown to most folks, I'm trying to write a short pamphlet that will explain some of the distinctives of the ARP. The purpose of this is primarily to be informational.

I would appreciate feedback from PBers. Also, if you see anything confusing (or any spelling/writing/grammatical errors), please let me know.

Here is the essential text from the pamphlet:

WHAT’S AN ARP?
By Rev. Tim Phillips

Presbyterianism can be a regular alphabet soup of denominational names. What makes the Associate Reformed Presbyterian (ARP) Church different from all the rest? This short pamphlet is designed to explain the unique characteristics of the ARP Church.

The key to understanding the ARP Church is found in the name itself. Looking at each letter of the name (in reverse order) explains the historical origins of this denomination.

P – The “P” stands for Presbyterian. This refers to a form of church government that means “rule by elders.” The local congregation elects godly men who oversee the spiritual welfare of the church members. These elders also represent the church in regional groups known as presbyteries. Presbyterianism, while being a biblical form of church government (see Acts 15; 1 Timothy 3; Titus 1), also has its origins in the Church of Scotland, particularly in the teachings of the Scottish Reformer John Knox in the 16th century. In Presbyterianism, elders represent the churches at meetings of regional groups (known as presbyteries).
The two bold points are kind of redundant. Can you say:
The “P” stands for Presbyterian. This refers to a form of church government that means “rule by elders.” Presbyterianism, while being a biblical form of church government (see Acts 15; 1 Timothy 3; Titus 1), also has its origins in the Church of Scotland, particularly in the teachings of the Scottish Reformer John Knox in the 16th century. In the ARP, the local congregation elects godly men who oversee the spiritual welfare of the church members. These elders also represent the church in regional groups known as presbyteries. These presbyteries help the churches to be linked together so that they are able to function in a more efficient manner than they could individually. Thus, the ARP is a biblical, historical, and connected denomination.
(I added the italicized phrase. The way I re-phrased it is not the only way it can be done, I'm sure!)

These presbyteries help the churches to be linked together so that they are able to function in a more efficient manner than they could individually. Thus, the ARP is a biblical, historical, and connected denomination.

R – The “R” stands for Reformed. This term is a reference to the Scottish Covenanters of the 17th century. The name “Covenanters” is derived from the fact that members of this group bound themselves to covenants (solemn, binding vows) in order to preserve the advances of the Protestant Reformation in Scotland. In part, the Covenanters were resisting the desire of the English crown to control the Church of Scotland. They refused to acknowledge the king as head of the Church. As a result, many Covenanters lost their lives during this time of struggle, especially during the period of the 1680s known as the “Killing Time.” Thus, the ARP is a denomination that is defined by its faithfulness to Jesus Christ alone as Head of the Church.
I was going to say something about mentioning more of the Reformation, but saw that you said you are going to do that.

A – The “A” stands for Associate. This term has its origins in the 18th century in the Church of Scotland. A group of faithful ministers ,most notably the brothers Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine,sought to stand firm against theological errors that had slowly crept into the Church of Scotland. The ministers were concerned that the gospel of Jesus Christ was not being rightly preached in the pulpits in Scotland. They desired to make sure the gospel of Jesus Christ was freely and faithfully proclaimed, such that all men and women everywhere were called to hear the good news of Jesus Christ, repent of their sin,andtrust in Him alone for salvation. Not wishing to depart entirely from the Church of Scotland, but also desiring to preach the gospel in their land, these men (who were called Seceders) if we need to know what these men were called, maybe just say,these men,called Seceders, separated from the Church and formed an associate presbytery.

So what is an ARP?
Members of the ARP Church belong to an historical denomination, which has existed in the United States since 1782 and is (the ARP has existed in the United States since 1782) committed to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The ARP is conservative, evangelical, and confessional. The ARP holds to the authority and inerrancy of the Bible, the need for the gospel to proclaimed at all times to all people in all places, and the necessity of being united in the historic Protestant faith as outlined in our confessional documents, the Westminster Standards.

If you would like more information on the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, please feel free to contact the church listed below:

That's the gist of it. If you would like to see an actual copy of the pamphlet, PM me with your email address and I'll shoot you a copy.

Hopefully what I suggested isn't too confusing! I personally overuse parentheses, so I may just be sensitive to look for them, but I tried to suggest ways to not use them so often. What I wrote may not be what you want, and I am not sure that the parentheses shouldn't be here, so maybe listen to others on that part!

I like this brochure and think it is very informative! Also, I think it was a great idea to make one. Please don't be offended by any suggestions♥

Wow, Jessi, I didn't even catch the redundancy under the first point. I added the second occurrence after the fact w/o even realizing it was already there. And I'm not even microscopically offended. A million thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back