Church Government...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymin Allen

Puritan Board Freshman
Recently I was conversing with a group of Christians and the topic fell unto church government. I was amazed at how many of the individuals in the conversation believed church government was simply a matter of indifference or preference and doesn't really offer any operational points in the Christians life. I am a firm believer that theological insights nearly invariably yield practical implications. Are any of you guys learned on the issue and understand some of the benefits of a strong church government?

I just picked up the "Who Runs the Church" from the Counterpoint series... Hope it is a bit helpful :um:

Recently I was conversing with a group of Christians and the topic fell unto church government. I was amazed at how many of the individuals in the conversation believed church government was simply a matter of indifference or preference and doesn't really offer any operational points in the Christians life. I am a firm believer that theological insights nearly invariably yield practical implications. Are any of you guys learned on the issue and understand some of the benefits of a strong church government?

I just picked up the "Who Runs the Church" from the Counterpoint series... Hope it is a bit helpful :um:

:book2:
Aaron's Rod Blossoming: or the Divine Ordinance of Church Government Vindicated by George Gillespie (1646) Reprinted in 1985 by Sprinkle Publications is an excellent resource on this topic.

I picked up a Banner of Truth book last year (or maybe the year before) called:

The Reformation of the Church: A collection of Reformed and Puritan documents on Church issues. (Selected with introductory notes by) Iain H. Murray. -- Published by Banner of Truth 1965, reprinted 1987.

I was thumbing through it this afternoon, and remembered this thread. This book might be helpful as it contains selections from a number of Puritans about Church Government.

They might have only been relucatant to jump into an issue that has fostered a lot of heat throughout the centuries. Many people today are anti-institutional and talking of church polity seems to be focusing on institutions rather than Christ. I suspect that my generation is not merely ignorant on this issue but also often unwilling to get too engaged in this topic and they probably quickly change the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back