Church History Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Church History - Reformation to Present

If you see any omissions from this timeline that you think I ought to include, please let me know and why. I obviously can't include everything but am trying to capture major muscle movements.

I recommend you zoom in a bit. Also, I'm kind of keeping things at the year level rather than the month and day so if you see an event that you know appeared in a current month then that is why you see it displayed that way. It's probably best to zoom out until the X axis is in 1 year increments.

Sure, if you have dates. Also, if someone has some stuff on the founding of the SBC that would be good.

I know you are including confessions; if you have the Dennison set of Reformed Confessions, you might check there for more to include and years.

Not what you are asking for, but looks like a typo at Henry VIII declared defender of the faith. (No cross bar for the H - shows as ll).

The 1976 date for the LCMS looks a little late. What keys that date?

Not much on the Holiness Movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Azusa Street Revival? Welsh Revival of 1904-5?

By the way, this was for an assignment and I'm pretty busy so it was not intended to be the best timeline ever. :)

What I might do is give access to a few people so they can populate some things for me. The events allow for stuff to popup when the event is clicked on. I like the software but this is one of several things I've got going on. I should have clarified.

Rich this is awesome. I never realized what events went on in different places at the same time. History is sort of compartmentalized mentally by me so sometimes it does not occur to me that things happened only 3 years apart. Anyway I am enjoying alot.

John Owen (1616 – 24 August 1683) Significant enought that he needs to be in there.

I might also add popular preachers of their day: Thomas Watson, Richard Sibbes, Charles Spurgeon, Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

If the intent is to be somewhat Reformed/Presbyterian oriented, you could give it a more worldwide prespective by including early Presbyterian movements in Korea or Reformed movements in Africa.

Since you have a lot of American people/events, you might want to include the historically black church. Richard Allen and the founding of the AME (1787), perhaps M. L. King. For that matter, thinking of America, Roger Williams (1603 - early 1683) may have been nearly as influential to America's particular take on Christianity as was Edwards.

In the 1650's you have "Own Vice-Chanceller of Oxford". Shouldn't that read "Owen"?
You need to include Daniel Rowland (1713-90), Howell Harris (1714-73), William Williams (1717-91)
and the first great Welsh revivals (1735-90). Note the date, the key elements field preaching lay exhortations and societies all began earlier in Wales and were independent of developments in England
David Morgan (1814-83)
and the Great Awakening in Wales (1859-61) in which about 100,000 people or 10% of the country was solidly converted, the vast majority remaining faithful for decades.
Bishop Ryle (1816-1900) and others in the reformed wing of the Anglican Church notably Stott (1921 - 2011) and Packer (1926- Present)
You need to mention Martyn Lloyd-Jones Welsh ministry 1927-1939 which is credited as being a major factor in keeping Wales from going communist in those years. And thee are only 2 ll's in Lloyd not 3 as you have it in connection with the evangelical controversy.

Bavinck's in 1912 is listed twice.

Also, I hope these calls for additions, corrections are what you were looking for. I think the timeline is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back