Church members Angry: Listen to my Sermon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, if there are some in your church who are teaching this man's material..and it is a false Gospel, then who is approving the material being taught???

One of the people is a deacon: this presents a problem, I suppose. My Pastor has unashamedly spoken against the bad doctrine, but allowed the class to continue. I suppose he believes it is o.k. to examine these views, as long as he (my Pastor) makes it clear on the points where the man is wrong.

I'm curious, if there are some in your church who are teaching this man's material..and it is a false Gospel, then who is approving the material being taught???

One of the people is a deacon: this presents a problem, I suppose. My Pastor has unashamedly spoken against the bad doctrine, but allowed the class to continue. I suppose he believes it is o.k. to examine these views, as long as he (my Pastor) makes it clear on the points where the man is wrong.

That could be dangerous.

That could be dangerous.

I think it is very dangerous, but what can I do, other than simply confronting the false teaching?

Damon Rambo;

I think it is very dangerous, but what can I do, other than simply confronting the false teaching?

there are a few things you could do..

1. pray

2. Talk to your pastor as both a friend and brother..and ask him if the class was supposed to be taught as if it is Gospel or if they are supposed to be 'examining the views' holding it up against God's word.

With that, if the pastor assumed it would be taught one way, then maybe he could ask more questions next time? If he asked and the deacon withheld that information..then that should be addressed with the deacon..and in that you are the Youth Pastor, I would hope he would take your input on how to come up with a solution.

I can't speak for others, but for me, I would appreciate it if a pastor would acknowledge he wasn't as attentive as he could have been in what was being taught or even how something was being presented to his flock..it would show a humble heart and heart that really cares about what his flock is being taught. In that it would also remind me that I too need to be diligent in knowing God's word, so as not to be deceived, and it would remind me that our elders, deacons and pastor need our prayers so they can be discerning about what they teach.

Others may have other ideas..but those are mine..

Damon, you said that you were not confronting specific members but rather addressing erroneous doctrine seeking to take hold in the church. Whether you like it or not you can't separate the error from the parties who are promoting them. For if there were no one selling these errors no one would've gotten angry. To be sure I think you meant you were not attacking these members personally. That being said these particular members couldn't help but make the connection when you preached against what they were promoting. To them, attacking their ideas was attacking them. Barring all other options that could have addressed this error I feel like a last resort sermon like yours was justifiable.

Damon, you said that you were not confronting specific members but rather addressing erroneous doctrine seeking to take hold in the church. Whether you like it or not you can't separate the error from the parties who are promoting them. For if there were no one selling these errors no one would've gotten angry. To be sure I think you meant you were not attacking these members personally. That being said these particular members couldn't help but make the connection when you preached against what they were promoting. To them, attacking their ideas was attacking them. Barring all other options that could have addressed this error I feel like a last resort sermon like yours was justifiable.

Why would it even have to be a last resort? Everything I spoke of in the sermon was 100 percent in line with our Churches statement of faith.

I believe this type of exhortation (perhaps preached with more skill than I myself have), should be the standard fare of Churches. Biblical truth is being swamped by trendy heresy in our Churches, even in our reformed Churches, because people softball truth.

People respond to a mighty cry; rarely will they respond to a gentle whisper. I like what Charles Spurgeon said...

“Ho, Ho, Sir Surgeon. You are too delicate to tell the man that he is ill. You hope to heal the sick
without their knowing it. You therefore flatter them. And what happens? They laugh at you. They dance upon their own
graves and at last they die. Your delicacy is cruelty, your flatteries are poisons you are a murderer. Shall we keep men in
a fool's paradise? Shall we lull them into soft slumber from which they will awake in hell? Are we to become helpers of
their damnation by our smooth speeches? In the name of God we will not!"

Last edited:

Why would it even have to be a last resort? Everything I spoke of in the sermon was 100 percent in line with our Churches statement of faith.

I believe this type of exhortation (perhaps preached with more skill than I myself have), should be the standard fare of Churches. Biblical truth is being swamped by trendy heresy in our Churches, even in our reformed Churches, because people softball truth.

People respond to a mighty cry; rarely will they respond to a gentle whisper. I like what Charles Spurgeon said...

“Ho, Ho, Sir Surgeon. You are too delicate to tell the man that he is ill. You hope to heal the sick
without their knowing it. You therefore flatter them. And what happens? They laugh at you. They dance upon their own
graves and at last they die. Your delicacy is cruelty, your flatteries are poisons you are a murderer. Shall we keep men in
a fool's paradise? Shall we lull them into soft slumber from which they will awake in hell? Are we to become helpers of
their damnation by our smooth speeches? In the name of God we will not!"

Why a last resort? Because I think within the proper confines of church discipline having to address the entire congregation from the pulpit concerning a matter of heresy when the pastor is absent is a last resort. I totally sympathize with your actions and I am in agreement with you. However I feel that in general circumstances the Lord's Day should be devoted primarily to worship. And I mean general circumstances because there are times when circumstances are special.

Great advice Joe. Wannabee

Pastor Joe's advice

:agree:

So glad I'm not a pastor! :lol: Not that us laymen have a right to hurt feelings but you guys have to walk on egg shells. Don't forget... being a pastor is not an easy job. You are to keep in mind the different levels of maturity among these people. But summing it all up... I love your zeal for truth and your urge to protect the sheep from error. God bless your ministry.

Well, we had a fellowship tonight at Church: our annual "Fish Fry". They actually spoke to me, so maybe things will smooth themselves out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back